This paleo apple pie is the perfect apple pie if you love low carb dessert. It is also one of my best gluten free recipes for dessert and an easy apple pie recipe for everyone who just love pie!
Paleo Apple Pie | A low carb Crispy Cashew Crust to die for!
The crust is made with a mix of almond meal and whole unsalted cashews nuts. Make sure you are using unsalted cashews like this one here: Signature Whole Fancy Unsalted Cashews. It is a really tasty and crispy crust slightly flavoured with cinnamon and vanilla extract. It is a very simple recipe that can be prepared in advance. I bake this paleo apple pie a day before welcoming some friends and the crust was still very crusty on the following day. I store the baked pie at room temperature.
So first why is it a perfect apple pie for diabetics ? Simply because the crust do not use any flour or sugar and the filling do use nut milk. This apple pie recipe is one of my best creation amongst my low carb recipes for diabetics. The trick to make this pie crust is to roll the crust between plastic wrap to avoid the crust to fall apart when rolling – see pictures below.
The dough is really easy to work with so if a hole is forming while you transfer into the mould you can press a little extra of dough with your hands.
Below are the steps by steps picture to help you make this insanely delicious crusty almond cashew pie crust. I sweetened the crust with stevia.
- Apple Pie Crust
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup whole unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp stevia powder or 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Apple Filling Updated on 15/03/2015
- 4 apples, green or fuji apples, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, size 6 - regular size eggs
- 200 ml almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Greased a pie mould with coconut oil.
- Pour all the crust ingredient in a stand mixer.
- Mix for 1 minute until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Roll until thin about 2-3 mm thick.
- Remove the first plastic wrap layer and flip onto a greased pie mould.
- Add thinly sliced peeled apples.
- In a bow whisk with a fork the eggs, almond milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the batter onto the apples.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180 C or until golden.
- Cool down before removing from the mould.
- The crust will get harder when it reach room temperature.