Paleo Apple Pie | A low carb Crispy Cashew Crust to die for!
The crust is made with a mix of almond meal and whole unsalted cashews nuts. Make sure you are using unsalted cashews like this one here: Signature Whole Fancy Unsalted Cashews
So first why is it a perfect apple pie for diabetics ? Simply because the crust do not use any flour or sugar and the filling do use nut milk. This apple pie recipe is one of my best creation amongst my low carb recipes for diabetics. The trick to make this pie crust is to roll the crust between plastic wrap to avoid the crust to fall apart when rolling – see pictures below.
Below are the steps by steps picture to help you make this insanely delicious crusty almond cashew pie crust. I sweetened the crust with stevia.
- [b]Apple Pie Crust [/b]
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup whole unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp stevia powder or 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- [b]Apple Filling[/b] Updated on 15/03/2015
- 4 apples, green or fuji apples, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, size 6 – regular size eggs
- 200 ml almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Greased a pie mould with coconut oil.
- Pour all the crust ingredient in a stand mixer.
- Mix for 1 minute until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Roll until thin about 2-3 mm thick.
- Remove the first plastic wrap layer and flip onto a greased pie mould.
- Add thinly sliced peeled apples.
- In a bow whisk with a fork the eggs, almond milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the batter onto the apples.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180 C or until golden.
- Cool down before removing from the mould.
- The crust will get harder when it reach room temperature.