Aquafaba meringue cookies – What’s Aquafaba ?
Aquafaba also called bean liquid or chickpea brine is the liquid in which canned chickpeas are preserved. I think that most of us discard this precious liquid. But please STOP! The first time I saw a video on youtube about using bean liquid as a egg replacement – I have to say I was both – excited but doubtful. So I decided to try myself. A aquafaba meringue cookies recipe without eggs using chickpea brine or the magic liquid called aquafaba.
I started to whisk the liquid in my stand mixer, adding sugar gradually as I will actually do for a regular French meringue recipe. After only 3 minutes it absolutely looked as a meringue with egg white. Since then I also did a aquafaba chocolate mousse recipe that taste amazing ! This chickpea brine liquid is simply the best thing I discovered lately!
How does this taste ? Well it is tasteless, no bean flavor at all.
I choose to make my aquafaba meringue cookies a little bit special. I stick them together using a simple peanut butter frosting. Look at those cute meringue ! So tasty with a glass of almond milk. This recipe makes about 50 small aquafaba meringue cookies – so 25 peanut butter aquafaba meringue cookies.
Vegan Meringue with Peanut Butter ganache
Peanut butter Stuffing
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 4 tablespoon rice malt syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice
- Preheat oven to 250F (120 C).
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper. Set aside.
- Open the chickpea can and drain the chickpeas keeping the chickpea liquid into a bowl.
- Pour the chickpea liquid, vanilla and cream of tartar into your stand mixer bowl.
- Whisk on high speed for 30 seconds - it should starts to get foamy and whiter- keep whisking on high and now add the sugar gradually - about 1/4 cup at a time, not all at once, sprinkle the sugar - repeat until all the sugar has been incorporated and a stiff pick form.
- It took between 3-5 minutes. It very depends on the speed of your stand mixer it may took a bit longer if you are using an electric whisker.
- When a stiff peak form, stop the stand mixer.
- Transfer the mixture into a pipping bag and form small meringue on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meringue has harden.
- Cool down on the baking tray while you prepare the peanut butter filling.
- Peanut butter stuffing
- In a bowl, combine the peanut butter and liquid sweetener.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, give a good stir to incorporate and transfer into a pipping bag.
- Pip small dollops of peanut butter filling on the flat side of the meringue then stick another meringue on the top. Do no press to avoid breaking the meringue but instead rotate them on the opposite side to stick while spreading the filling evenly in the center.
- Store the meringue in a cookie jar for up to 5 days.
- The meringue are getting softer when they stay at room temperature so don't prepare them too early.
Nutrition panel is for one aquafaba meringue cookie with peanut butter. It means two meringues cookies kisses stick with peanut butter frosting.