French Green Beans anyone ?
Authentic French Green Beans recipe from my mum sauteed in olive oils with almonds, shallots, garlic and deglazed with lemon juice. An easy side dish for Holidays, Christmas or Thanksgiving. Dairy free + gluten free + vegan.
French green beans – an easy and healthy french side dish recipe
I told you I will bring back some amazing French recipe from my travel in France. My mum is the best at making french green beans. There is many version to make sauteed french green beans. The most authentic recipe use butter but in South of France they use olive oil as an healthy alternative – which fit better my clean eating recipes on this blog! The secret to the most delicious french green beans is to pre-cook the beans in boiling water for a short time – about 7-8 minutes – and to rinse them in cold water – it will prevent them to lose their color ! Yep, there is no photo editing here, that’s the natural green color of authentic sauteed french green beans. How lovely are they?
Next step is pretty simple. The green beans are sauteed in olive oils with shallots – no onions please – garlic and sliced almonds. I must admit the sliced almonds are the holiday recipe version. On a day to day basis, we don’t add almonds but for a delicious Christmas side dish we do. Well, I actually love it so much that extra toast some sliced almonds on the side to top up on my plate.
Finally, the last step – and the most important to me – is to deglaze the green beans with lemon juice. It actually means that you unstick all the cooking oil from the pan creating the most simple and tasty juice. Salt, pepper AND if you fancy fresh herbs I recommend a handful of fresh chopped basil or parsley. Done! You just achieve the most simple french side dish on earth. One of my favorite too as it is an healthy french recipe. Next week I will bring you another new French recipe ! So keep an eye around 🙂
Watch the French Green Beans recipe video and make them now!
FRENCH GREEN BEAN
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the green beans and cover with a lid.
- Cook covered for 5 to 7 minutes. Check the texture with a fork, the green beans must stay firm but tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Just before serving, warm the olive oil in a skillet, add the shallots, garlic and saute for about 1 minute or until golden and fragrant.
- Add the sliced almonds and roast/saute them for 1 minutes until slightly brown. Stir often to avoid them from burning.
- Add the green beans and stir with the cooked shallots, garlic and almonds to blend the flavors. Add salt and pepper, and saute briefly for no more than 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze with lemon juice - it means you will use the lemon juice to create a tasty sauce with the oil that stick to the skillet.
- Serve immediately as a side dish for any meat or fish. Top up with extra chopped fresh basil.