Frozen banana bites aka frozen snickers candy bars !
Ok guys, I have to confess I have got HUGE sweet cravings lately. Well, I am pretty sure it is pregnancy related but there is NO way I will indulge in crap processed food from the store. You know how much I love to reproduce my favorite candy bars in a healthy way. I shared before my healthy bounty bars but today, I am craving for Snickers Candy Bars Ice cream and I absolutely had to find a way to fix this obsession. So those frozen banana bites are my healthy version of a snickers candy bars.
All you need are few basic ingredients:
- Frozen banana as a base – this mimic the snicker nougat layer make a thick date caramel paste to create
- Date – to create an healthy chewy caramel.
- Peanut butter – this reminds the peanuts flavor of snickers bars
- Crushed peanuts – to add a lovely crunch on top of the bars
- Melted 85% dark chocolate + coconut oil – that makes a lovely chocolate shell around the bars
BOOM! this is it you just made some healthy ice cream bites for your summer – well, it is winter in NZ but I can easily eat ice cream all year !
Easy healthy treats for kids
I have to admit those frozen banana bites with peanut butter are a bit messy to prepare – as everything that required a dip into melted chocolate – but the result is a BOMB! I had to stop myself eating those snickers candy bars or I could easily eat the whole thing. Ugh! pregnancy again I guess. I found very difficult to be a food blogger while being pregnant. Some days I absolutely hate food and I can’t cook anything so the blog is in silence. The next day I cook a storm but I barely can stop eating the food and it begins difficult to picture it for the blog too ! Ahh living the food blogger life is not so easy someday 🙂 But I will never complain about it. I LOVE it because I ‘work’ from home, I have got all of you who read me and share with me and I don’t feel like working as clean eating food is a pure PASSION!
This morning I am going to bake something with banana again as I am totally crazy about banana right now – I am thinking about a new recipe version of this banana bread. SO if you love clean eating banana recipes keep an eye around the blog. Next recipe maybe a banana one again! For now, I leave you to those delicious frozen banana snickers candy bars. All you need to make those are 5-ingredients and a little bit of patience.
Trust me, you will love them! If you are looking for an healthy frozen treat this summer you MUST give it a try. Kids love it too and did I say that it is a vegan ice cream bar too! Yeah! It ticks all the box right ?
So know, tell me what is your favorite frozen banana bites ? And if you love it ? Pin it for me 🙂 Thank you guys!
Frozen banana bites Healthy vegan treats
- 4 banana medium size
Peanut Butter caramel
- 6 oz dark chocolate 85% or sugar free milk chocolate
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Place the pitted dates in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the dates into food processor with the peanut butter and salt.
- Process until thick, creamy and smooth. I recommend to process 30 seconds, stop and scrap down the sides with a spatula then process again 30 seconds. Repeat this process until the date caramel is smooth and no more lumps of dates appears. Set aside into a bowl.
Peel the banana and cut lengthwise into 4 pieces. Make sure you remove a thin slice on top and bottom of each pieces to create a rectangle piece of banana with two flat surfaces - easier to spread the peanut butter caramel on top and to lay on a plate.
- Place each banana pieces onto a plate covered with parchment paper.
- Spread a teaspoon of peanut butter caramel on top of each banana pieces. Sprinkle chopped peanuts and freeze until fully harden - about 2 hours.
- Melt the dark chocolate with coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. I microwave mine by 30 seconds burst on high. Stir between each 30 seconds to avoid the chocolate to burn.
- Remove the banana from the freezer and using tongs or two forks, dip each banana bites into the meted chocolate.
- Return to the plate and repeat until all banana bites has been covered with chocolate.
- Freeze again for 30 minutes - 1 hour or until the chocolate shell is set.
- This recipe makes about 16 banana bites.
- I recommend to defrost them 10-15 minutes before serving. The banana will soften and it will be even more delicious. Store up to 2 month in a airtight plastic bag or container.
Nutrition panel is for one frozen banana bites. This recipe serve 16 frozen banana bites.