Italian Quinoa Bake – healthy vegetarian dish
If I ask my 4 years old girl what she wants for dinner she always says pizza. It is weird because she never eat pizza crust. That is why I usually make super thin pizza crust – she would eat my low carb Almond flour pizza crust for sure. But, mainly what she likes the most is the tomato sauce and toppings. That is how I came up with the idea of making healthy pizza quinoa bake. It is basically a one dish dinner that taste like pizza with no crust.
We did many quinoa bake recipes lately using different grains and vegetables – mostly vegetarian quinoa bake like this broccoli quinoa bake. Surprisingly, the italian Quinoa Bake had the highest success. I was surprised because I am usually the only one who loves quinoa in this house. Quinoa is such a nutrition gem, full of fiber, plant based protein and it is gluten free. I meant to tell you, over the weekend I removed gluten from my diet and I felt a huge difference.
Can you believe that I am now eating vegan and gluten free. Argh! Who is going to invite me with this diet ! Anyway, I don’t care, it makes me feel so good. Oh, yes the cheese I used in this recipe is vegan cheese, a combo of vegan mozzarella and vegan cheddar from angel food brand. There cheese is made of pea and maize starch and incredibly melt like regular cheese. Plus, kids loves it. I always do small pizza bake for kids, much more fun to eat.
Back to this Italian Quinoa Bake. It is pretty simple to make. All you need is 5 ingredients and a bunch of pizza toppings you like. If you are not into quinoa you can try millet, brown rice, amaranth. Anything works. As you can see below I used a combo of red rice, quinoa and brown rice.
Enjoy this simple 30-minute Italian quinoa bake recipe and thanks for reading the blog. I will have few weeks break from now as I am flying to France to met my family. It has been 3 years that I did not see my mum, dad and sister. My two kids will meet there cousin for the first time as well. I am very excited to go and I can’t wait to be in summer to enjoy more healthy zucchini recipes.
Talk to you soon.
WATCH THE QUINOA ZUCCHINI PIZZA BAKE RECIPE VIDEO AND MAKE IT NOW
Italian Quinoa Bake
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa makes or 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water or broth to cook the dry quinoa
- 14 oz passata sauce (400 g)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated zucchini - 1 large zucchini
- 2 cup grated mozarella cheese - I used vegan cheese from Angel food in New Zealand
- 1/2 cup topping of your choice -I used black olives, cherry tomatoes, green pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C (392F).
- Cook the quinoa following the packaging instruction. I usually rinse my dry quinoa in a sieve with cold water. Then bring the quinoa in a sauce pan, cover with vegetable broth or water, put the lid on and cook 15 minutes on low heat.
- When cooked, transfer the cooked quinoa into a large mixing bowl and stir in 1/2 cup of passata tomato sauce, dried oregano and salt.
- Spray a baking dish with olive oil - I used a 10 inches round baking dish.
- Spread layers of tomato quinoa, grated zucchini, passata sauce and grated cheese of your choice. I used vegan cheese but any cheese works.
- Repeat the layers until no more quinoa left. Add more grated cheese on the top layer and sprinkle half cup of your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake 20 minutes at 200C (392F) or until the cheese is fully melted and bubbles starts forming on the sides of the dish.
- Serve hot with a green salad or baby spinach salad.
Nutrition Panel is for one serving using vegan cheese. This recipe serve 6 people.