A healthy and low-carb tater tot recipe using broccoli and coconut flour. These cute tater tots are crispy outside with a cheesy and moist centre. This low carb broccoli tater tot recipe makes a great appetizer or kids finger food idea.
I still cannot believe that my little girl turns 3 in a month. She is already very excited with the idea of carrying a lunch box to daycare and to enjoy her own meal. That’s why I started to create some healthy finger food that she can enjoy in her lunch box. I made these broccoli tater tots specially for her as she loves broccoli. I used coconut flour for a change – I usually like oat flour. Coconut flour is a great alternative to oat flour to decrease the carbs and increase the fibre in this tater tot recipe. However, it tends to dry out the mixture as it contains a lot of fibre. To balance the fibre, I added a few more eggs in the batter compared to my cauliflower tots recipe.
The result was great ! Crispy, cheesy and moist. She very much enjoyed this cheesy broccoli tater tot recipe! I was glad that she even ate these without tomato sauce. She loves dipping everything into tomato ketchup which is OK to me as long as she eats my own wholesome sugar free ketchup. Well, I don’t want to be seen as a healthy food freak but I like to fuel up my family with healthy food not overloaded with processed ingredients. I actually buy some ready-made ketchup too, but always an organic tomato ketchup without refined sugar, mostly made of tomatoes, onion and apple cider vinegar and it tastes great.
I made this broccoli tater tot recipe twice and I even froze some of them as this recipe makes arounds 50 tots. If you want to freeze this recipe, firstly shape the broccoli tots, lay on a plate cover with parchment paper and freeze. After a few hours they will be frozen and you can transfer them into a large airtight container that you will keep up to 3 months in the freezer. When need, defrost on a cookie sheet for a few hours and bake as if they were fresh.
Who is going to make this recipe? Enjoy! Carine.
Low Carb Broccoli Tater Tots with Coconut Flour
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- 2 ½ cups raw broccoli grated or pulverised in a food processor
- 1 Onion finely sliced
- 4 Egg size 6
- ½ cup Coconut Flour
- ¾ cup Grated Cheese
- salt pepper, adjust to taste
- Preheat oven to 180/190c.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor with the S blade attachment, add the broccoli florets.
- Pulse until it forms a rice like texture.
- Add eggs, coconut flour, cheese, onion, salt and pepper
- Process on low speed until it comes together - about 1 minute.
- Transfer into a bowl and shape the tots with your hands,
- Place each broccoli tater tots onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper leaving 1/2 cm between each tot.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 190 C until crispy.
- Serve immediately with dip of your choice (tomato sauce, guacamole, hummus) or as a side dish with fish or meat.
- Can be eaten cold and served in kids lunch box too.
- This recipe makes about 40 small tater tots.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.