Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie – Let’s boost your iron!
Ok guys, I have a confession to make today. Not the easy one. After 10 months on a vegan diet my body is crying HELP! I miss iron so much that I have to get some strong supplement for 6 weeks. Argh. So what did I made wrong on that way to a ‘healthier me?’ Well, first I drink LOTS of coffee in the morning with my oatmeal and keep going up to lunchtime. Did you know that coffee decrease iron absorption by 50%-90%? Yep! so basically all that lovely iron loaded plant powered food I was eating in the morning was ‘useless’ for my body. Well, in term of iron absorption.
Although I love animals I choose to switch back to my clean food recipes for a while with 80% vegetarian meals. Meanwhile, I choose to develop recipes that will be iron and vitamin C loaded. Why? because vitamin C helps iron absorption – I love all those new things I learnt about food and my body. So today I am sharing my new breakfast drink. Goodbye coffee and say hello to this Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie.
It is a super easy and healthy smoothie to drink for breakfast. I don’t even eat cereals after one of this Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie as it contains 7.5 g fibre and 3 g protein. I only add more protein from 2 or 3 boiled egg white. It makes a delicious healthy on the go breakfast for summer.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie – Dairy free with Almond milk
You know I don’t drink dairy milk – it upset my stomach – so here I used Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk. It has been my favorite Almond Milk choice for years as it is 4 health star : no sugar added, low calories, no aftertaste in drink AND it adds a lovely creamy texture to smoothie.
It is a 5-minutes recipe made of 5 simple ingredients:
- Fresh banana – if you use ripe banana don’t add the maple syrup or it will be extra sweet
- Frozen strawberries – it is you vitamin C source. As it is summer in NZ I bought fresh strawberries and freeze them overnight
- Flaxmeal – don’t skip this magic ingredients! that is where you get the protein and fibre
- Spinach – that add up some iron and vegetable to your drink. I used only 1/4 cup to keep my smoothie light pink for my kids. Honestly you can add more if you are looking for extra iron, up to 1 cup it won’t change the texture much.
- Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk – my favorite dairy free drink for smoothie
- Maple syrup – this is optional as I said before if you are using ripe banana skip it !
So I am not saying I stop coffee – I am still drinking it outside meals – morning tea for example. But this Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie makes me happy in the morning right now. I am switching with different smoothie every morning. Other vitamin C loaded smoothie I love as a change are my berry smoothie bowl, watermelon strawberry smoothie or mixed berry smoothie.
Watch the Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie Recipe video and make this now !
Enjoy the recipe and if you want to WIN amazing Almond Breeze Almond Milk visit my Facebook Page , giveaway starts on 8th January 9 pm until 12 January 2018 9.00am!
Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie - an healthy, easy and creamy recipe with 3.8 g protein and 9.7 g fibre per serve and 144% of your vitamin C intake! A great morning smoothie to boost your day with energy. Vegan + Gluten free + Dairy free.
- 2 small banana peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon teaspoon maple syrup - optional, add for extra sweeteness
- 1 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk
In a blender, add all the ingredients int his order: banana slices, baby spinach leaves, flaxmeal, maple syrup, frozen strawberries, unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk.
Blend until smooth - about 45 seconds.
Serve immediately with sliced almonds on top to decorate.
Nutrition Panel is for one strawberry banana almond milk smoothie including all the ingredients (maple syrup too). This recipe serve 2 smoothies.