Sweet potato egg bake : healthy breakfast casserole
I love creating healthy recipes but what I love the most is to make healthy food cute, fun and easy. Behind it is fancy look, this sweet potato egg bake is super easy to make. It is basically a combination of layers of
- Baked sweet potato slices – I did not peel my sweet potatoes to keep extra fiber and I used a mandolin to slice them super thin. I pre-bake the slices on parchment paper for 8 minutes at 400 F to soften them enough to bend and cover the loaf pan.
- Fresh spinach – I row some spinach this year so I am using large spinach leaves that I must finely chopped. But baby spinach will be perfect for this recipe too.
- Eggs – free range eggs bought from my local farmer is a must in my new vegetarian life. I am happy to eat some eggs if I know where they comes from and how the chicken are raised
- Diced capsicum – I love the combo of yellow and red capsicum, not only for the contrast of colors but also for the sweet flavors yellow capsicum adds to this sweet potato egg bake. You can also substitute the red capsicum for tomatoes if preferred.
An easy 3 layer breakfast casserole
This recipe is EASY ! All you have to do is spread the pre baked sweet potato slices onto a loaf pan to create a sort of crust. Then makes 3 layers of :
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 1 cup egg coconut milk batter with diced capsicum
- Few slices of baked sweet potatoes
Repeat 3 times !
When you reach the top add a handful of grated cheese – I love my mozzarella – and more slices of sweet potatoes. As you see on the picture, I was running out on baked sweet potatoes slices and I use raw sweet potato slices for the top part, that is fine. It will bake perfectly cooked through after 30 minutes in the oven as it is the last top part of the casserole. I recommend to give a good push with your hand before baking, it ‘sticks’ all the layers together and avoid any gaps of air between layers.
Make ahead recommendation – bake the day before
I love to make this on Friday nights. My recommendations are:
- Bake the sweet potato egg bake,
- Un mold on a rectangle serving dish – loosen the sides with a knife, place a rectangle dish on top of the loaf pan and flip over the whole thing. If your loaf pan tend to stick add baking paper or grease very well before baking.
- Cool down at room temperature for 1 hour,
- Transfer in the fridge, wrap the egg bake with plastic wrap to avoid to dry out,
- The next morning, cut in slices
- Rewarm on plates for 1 minute 30 s in the microwave
I also love to eat this sweet potato egg bake as a light dinner with some lettuce on side. Trust me, this recipe makes the best effect on your family and guest. My kids LOVES it – anything rainbow colors works with mine ! Enjoy the lovely breakfast casserole.
Sweet potato egg bake is an healthy breakfast casserole, paleo, vegetarian whole 30 .
- 8 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk - coconut milk or almond milk
- 3 tablespoon fresh dill , finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup red capsicum , diced
- 1/4 cup yellow capsicum , diced
- 3 cups baby spinach or fresh spinach leaves finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella - optional
Preheat oven to 400 F (220 C).
Grease a loaf pan 9 " x 5 "with olive oil. Set aside.
Use a mandolin to thinly slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise. Keep the skin on for extra fiber.
Place the sweet potato slices onto a large mixing bowl, add olive oil, salt and cumin. Combine with a spatula or your hands to cover the slices with the mixture.
Prepare a baking sheet, covering it with parchment paper and then arrange the sweet potato slices on the sheet making sure they don't overlap.
Bake for 8 minutes or until easy to bend.
Arrange the baked sweet potato slices on the bottom and sides of the loaf pan until you fully cover the loaf pan. Make sure there is no gap. Fill any gap with pieces of extra sweet potato slices. It is ok to overlap as those are already pre baked it will cooked perfectly even if you layers them.
In another mixing bowl beat eggs, milk, dill, nutmeg and salt.
Whisk in the diced capsicum. Set aside.
Start filling the loaf pan with a layer of 1 cup chopped spinach, 1 cup egg/capsicum mixture and finish with a single layer of baked sweet potato slices.
Repeat 2 times: 1 cup chopped fresh spinach, 1 egg egg mixture and single layer of sweet potato slices. If you are using cheese, I recommend to add it at the end BEFORE the last layer of sweet potato slices. The melted cheese will stick to the sweet potato slices, sealing perfectly the loaf.
Gently press the top of the loaf with your hands to make sure any air escape and all the layers are well sealed together.
Bake 30 minutes or until cooked through.
To unmold, loosen the sides with a knife, then place a rectangle serving plate on top of the loaf pan, hold both well with your oven mitts and flip over to release the egg bake. If you grease the loaf pan very well it should not stick and un mold perfectly.
Eat hot or store in the fridge for the next morning.
Loaf pan: use a non stick loaf pan to avoid the sweet potato egg bake to stick to the pan or cover the loaf pan with parchment paper and grease the paper with olive oil (or the sweet potato slices won't stick well on the paper)
Nutrition panel is for one serve including cheese. This recipe makes 8 serves.