Vegan gluten free birthday cake – easy date vanilla cake
If you follow the blog for a while you must know that my little princess Emma is turning 5 years old today. She is the reason why I started this blog 5 years ago. You have seen her baking with me in few post like her favorite wholewheat banana muffins. So now that she turns 5, this cake must be shared with you. Emma ask me if I can do a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting that daddy and mummy can eat. You know my husband is vegan and I don’t eat refined flour or sugar so the cake must be :
- dairy free
- egg free
- gluten free
- kid friendly
Oh and this vegan gluten free birthday cake must have some pink of course! She loves pink 🙂 Keep reading, I made a raspberry cashew cream to add some natural pink colors in this cake.
Don’t worry this cake is SUPER easy to make. The date cake itself required only 6 ingredients.
- Dates – I used deglor because they are cheaper than medjool but any dates works
- Almond milk – as always I am using Almond Breeze Original Almond Milk
- Almond meal – also known as almond flour or ground flour
- Arrowroot powder – or use tapioca flour if you can’t find arrowroot it won’t change the taste much
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
Raspberry Cashew cream
My girl request a berry frosting – she actually wanted some strawberries but they are not in season right now. So I made a cashew cream flavored with dried freeze raspberries. That is an expensive ingredients, I know, but you can simply use a bit of natural raspberry flavoring and natural pink food coloring if you prefer ! It won’t change the texture much !
This is what you need for the raspberry cashew cream that I spread between the 2 layers of my vegan gluten free birthday cake for Emma.
- Freeze dried raspberries
- Cashew Nuts – unroasted, unsalted, soaked at least 1 hour in hot water and drained!
- Lemon Juice – use fresh lemon if you can !
- Maple syrup – any liquid sweetener will work like agave or brown rice syrup
- Coconut milk – light or regular
Chocolate Coconut Frosting – 3 ingredients
Again, easy peasy frosting here with only 3 ingredients. I simply used
- melted dark chocolate 70% cocoa
- coconut milk
- extra virgin coconut oil
It is my easy chocolate ganache that I love to spread onto any cake or cupcakes for the kids. Nobody never noticed it was dairy free ! I hope you will enjoy this simple vegan gluten free birthday cake recipe. There is not much picture of the inside as I was feeling super bad to cut the cake before the birthday party. I actually did for the video recipe below! And I add to recover the cake with chocolate frosting to hide it ! But well, I really wanted to share this special recipe with you guys. It is an easy family friendly recipe and it makes me so happy to share a piece of my life with you !
Enjoy the recipe and happy birthday to my lovely Emma ! One day you will read that blog and make this recipe again. Love you to the moon and back. note: on Emma’s cake we added few vegan marshmallow and rainbow chocolate candies to make the colors pop a little bit more. It is not only about healthy, but fun too right?
Watch the vegan gluten free birthday cake recipe video and make it now !
Vegan gluten free birthday cake
Vegan Date Cake
Cashew Raspberry Cream
- 1 1/2 cup cashews soaked 1 hour in hot water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar free flavored maple syrup (or maple syrup if not sugar free) or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 1/3 cup dried freeze raspberry
- Preheat oven to 180C (350 F)
- Grease a 6 inches round cake mold with removable bottom. I used melted coconut oil that I brush all over the mold. Set aside.
Vegan date cake
- In a blender, add the pitted date and lukewarm almond milk. Put the blender lid on and let the dates soak for 5 minutes. I microwaved my almond milk on high for 1 minute to get it lukewarm.
- Blend until it forms a date paste and transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in almond meal, vanilla extract and baking soda. When the almnd meal is fully incorporated, stir in gradually the arrowroot flour - add it in two times to avoid lumps, 1/3 cup at a time.
- You can bake the whole cake batter at once or split the batter in half - as I do- and bake in two batch.es Don't bake the two cakes at the same time in your oven, one at a time for baking precision.
- For half batter, bake for 20-25 minutes or for the whole batter at once bake for 30-35 minutes or until set and golden brown on top.
- Unmold and cool down on a rack.
Cashew Raspberry cream
- Drain the soaked cashew nuts.
- In a blender, add all the cashew cream ingredients execpt the dried freeze raspberry- order of ingredients doesn't matter.
- Blend for 1 minute until it forms a smooth cashew cream.
- Stop the blender, add the freeze dried raspberries, process again for 15 seconds until combine and a pinkish cream forms.
- Transfer into a small mixing bowl and freeze 10 minutes to set.
Date cake assembly
- If you follow the date cake recipe above, you ends up with two 6 inches date cakes. Make sure the cakes are cool before adding the cashew cream.
- Pick one of your 2 cakes, spread half of the cashew raspberry cream on on side of this cake and add the other cake on top. Refrigerate while you prepare the chocolate ganache frosting.Store the leftover of raspberry cream in the fridge and serve as a side with your cake. I like to top up my cake with extra cashew cream !
- In a small mixing bowl, add dark chocolate and coconut milk. Microwave 30 seconds, whisk in coconut oil and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Stir to form a thick ganache, if too thick add slightly more melted coconut oil
- Remove the cake from the fridge and spread the chocolate ganache on top of your cake. Sprinkle extra freeze dried raspberries on top if you like !
Nutrition panel is for one slice of cake. This recipe serve 12 cake slice.
This vegan gluten free birthday cake recipe post has been sponsored by Almond Breeze made from the best California Almonds