Time to starts the BBQ and make those delicious vegetable skewers !
Those vegetable skewers are made of the most delicious combination of 6 colorful vegetables: zucchini, beetroot, mushrooms, red onions, yellow capsicum and baby potatoes. Plus, you will love the thick garlic & herbs Mediterranean marinade that definitely makes those vegetable skewers the most delicious healthy vegetable summer dish.
Well, my oven is done and of course I prepared vegetable skewers for tonight! Heck! SO while I usually love to bake my skewers on the oven grill mode today I have to use the BBQ to grill them. Don’t be confused! I LOVE to cook food in the BBQ and I absolutely adore the taste that BBQ give to those vegetable skewers. BUT considering that it is winter in New Zealand right now … oops! yes, you get it, it wasn’t exactly the best experience of my life to go out under the rain to cook my skewers today. But well the result is absolutely amazing so I don’t regret using the BBQ tonight.
Vegetable Skewers Marinade with Mediterranean flavor : the French way !
I really believe that the most delicious skewers – vegetable skewers or meat skewers – are made of a great marinade! That is really THE ultimate key of success of a tasty skewer. Well, of course you can always make it simple and cover your vegetable skewers with a drizzle of olive oil and dried herbs but it will never compete with the taste of a rich & thick marinade. You know I am French right? and French loves Mediterranean food like CRAZY! Simply because we have got lots of city along the Mediterranean sea with strong food culture on those region. So today I inspired myself from one of my French magazine – YES, I know it is sounds crazy but after 5 years living in New Zealand I am still subscribes to my fav French food magazines! It inspires me SO much! and this simple but authentic French Mediterranean marinade is clearly coming out from one of those mag.
I said simple because all you have to do to create this thick marinade is to blend all the ingredients together and then simply rub it onto your vegetables. I did vegetable skewers tonight because we love to have meat free dinner but this marinade will work perfectly with any meat like chicken, lamb or beef. You can also prepare large batch of this marinade and freeze it. Simply defrost the day before you are having a BBQ party and you will impressed your guest with delicious homemade skewers. SO who is making vegetable skewers now?
I also love to name those vegetable skewers rainbow skewers because the 6 vegetables used in this recipe really looks like a rainbow! Such a great way to add some color and health to your plate 🙂 Enjoy those lovely vegetable skewers and marinade and don’t forget to tell me if you tried it. I love to read all your comments !
Vegetable Skewers with Mediteranean Marinade
- 2 zucchini half peeled, trimmed, cut in thick slices
- 1 red onion peeled, sliced
- 6 button mushrooms washed, peeled, feet removed
- 6 baby potatoes skin on, cut in quarter
- 1 raw beetroot peeled, trimmed, cut in thin pieces
- 1 yellow capsicum washed, cut in large pieces
- Mediteranean marinade
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 2 slices of fresh lemon skin on
- 3 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Wash and cut all your vegetable. Set aside on a plate.
- In a food processor with the S blade attachment, add the olive oil, garlic cloves, dried herbs, fresh basil lemon slices and salt, pepper.
- Blend until thick and dense about 30s-1 minute on high speed.
- Place all your vegetables into a lare mixing bowl and cover with the marinade.
- Rub the vegetable with the marinade and set in the fridge for 30 minutes at least to blend the flavor.
- Pick the vegetables onto 8 skewers picks - make sure you alternate the sort of vegetables each time to create colorful skewers.
- Warm the BBQ or oven at 200C.
- Cook on all sides for about 20-25 minutes in the oven or 15-20 minutes on gas BBQ.
- The vegetable skewers are cooked when the vegetables are slightly tender but still a bit crunchy - specially the beetroot and potatoes that should stay half cooked.
- Serve with rice or green salad.