Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
This Cottage Cheese Ice Cream is an easy 4-ingredient homemade high-protein ice cream packed with 6.7 grams of protein per serving.
Plus, it’s easy to make in less than 5 minutes, so you can always have a batch on hand.
You might be wondering what to do with cottage cheese.
Cottage cheese is a major food trend for its interesting nutrition profile: packed with protein, calcium, and vitamins and low in fat and calories.
The latest TikTok food trend is to turn cottage cheese into ice cream using minimal ingredients.
I couldn’t resist trying and the result is mind-blowing, and the flavors are so delicious.
How To Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
It’s so easy to make a batch of ice cream with cottage cheese and so healthy that you will make this non-stop.
All you need to make a batch of cottage cheese ice cream are:
- Full-Fat Cottage Cheese – I don’t recommend using fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese, the ice cream won’t turn out as smooth and creamy.
- Nut Butter – I like almond butter to add proteins to the ice cream, and it also adds flavor and creaminess. However, peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter also work well.
- Sugar-Free Maple Syrup – or feel free to use regular maple syrup, honey, or any unrefined sugar-free liquid sweetener you love.
- Vanilla Extract
In a high-speed blender, or food processor, add all the ingredients: cottage cheese, almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Blend or process on high speed until the mixture is well combined. Blend until smooth – it shouldn’t take more than 1 minute to make.
Note that even if you are blending cottage cheese, it keeps a little grainy look, and that’s normal.
Fold in any optional ingredients that add crunch to the ice cream.
Optional Add-On Ideas
I recommend stirring 1/2 cup of a mix of the below to add taste and crunch to the ice cream:
- Cookie pieces like Graham crackers, or try my homemade almond flour cookies.
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Frozen Fruits, like blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries.
Transfer the ice cream mixture to a glass dish or loaf pan.
Freeze the dish for 3 hours or until firm and scoopable.
Scooping The Ice Cream
The longer you freeze this non-churn cottage cheese ice cream, the harder it becomes.
That’s why this ice cream gets hard as a rock the next day, and you will need some patience, thawing the batch for at least 15 minutes to be able to scoop it.
Of course, you can use this cottage cheese ice cream recipe to create a range of ice cream flavors.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cottage Cheese Ice Cream – Blend in 1/3 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries, and add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or cream cheese instead of peanut butter.
- Cookie Dough Cottage Cheese Ice Cream – Use almond butter and stir in 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips at the end.
- Chocolate Cottage Cheese Ice Cream – Stir in 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, and at the end, stir in 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips.
- Banana Peanut Butter – Add 1 small ripe banana in the blender and use peanut butter.
- Smores – Add 1/2 cup of frozen banana and at the end stir in 1/3 cup of chopped marshmallow and 5 crushed graham crackers.
Serve the cottage cheese ice cream as a dessert a healthy sweet treat.
Place one scoop – about 3 tablespoons in a bowl. Add some of the below on top if you like:
- A swirl of almond butter
- Whipped cream
- Chopped nuts
- Desiccated coconut
- Chocolate chips
Here are some ingredients swap ideas if you need them.
- Nut-Free – Swap the nut butter for sunflower seed butter or tahini.
- Sweetener Option – Use any liquid sweetener you prefer including coconut nectar, agave syrup, or maple syrup, or honey.
- Sugar-Free – Use sugar-free chocolate chips and sugar-free syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the most frequent answers to your questions about this recipe.
Yes, cottage cheese ice cream contains more proteins and way less saturated fat and sugar than store-bought ice cream.
It’s also higher in protein than frozen yogurt and therefore, a great snack to fix a sweet tooth.
More Cottage Cheese Recipes
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these other cottage cheese recipes.
Did You Like This Recipe?
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Preparation:4 Ingredients Or Less
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.