Vegan crepes are easy sweet french crepes 100 % eggless and dairy free made with healthy spelt flour, almond milk and coconut oil
Vegan crepes – Spelt flour crepes
The most popular recipe on my blog the past 5 years has been my french crepes recipe. No surprise, I am French, I made those million times and the recipe is a no fail. Of course, since my husband is vegan, I can’t make those delicious French sweet crepes anymore. I also love healthy recipes so I worked hard to recreate my favorite french crepes recipe eggless + dairy free using healthier flour. A delicious French crepes must be:
- Thin – it is not a pancake it must be super thin
- Elastic – it is easy to fold, won’t break and slightly elastic/chewy when you eat it
- Vanilla sweet flavor – that is why the choice of flour is important. A strong flavor flour – like buckwheat, chickpea or brown rice flours – won’t make vegan crepes taste as good as the real french crepes.
I choose to make spelt flour crepes. If you are not familiar with spelt flour or can’t find it in the store use regular white wheat flour. The recipe will work too. I simply love to use spelt because it has a similar flavor to wheat flour with an extra boost of nutrient, low level of gluten – it means it is more digestible for people with a sensitivity to gluten. Plus, it has a light nutty flavor that makes those vegan crepes absolutely amazing!
Easy 5 ingredients recipe
All you need to make those crepes are:
- White spelt flour – or white wheat flour if you can’t find spelt in your store
- Almond milk – or any dairy free milk you like
- Coconut oil – I used melted unrefined coconut oil, I simply love the flavor of it. If you don’t like coconut oil flavor use any other light vegetable oil like canola or avocado oil
- Sweetener – I love my sugar free crystal sweetener but if you can eat sugar use coconut sugar (for an healthy touch) or sugar
- Vanilla extract
Best crepes filling
Most French people spread some jam or chocolate spread into their crepes then roll or fold into a triangle shape. Some restaurant will also fold the crepes into a triangle and then drizzle the toppings on top of the crepes. Below I drizzle melted dark chodolate, peanut butter and crushed peanuts.
Gluten free vegan crepes
If you don’t tolerate gluten, I recommend you try my vegan gluten free crepes recipe. It is made of buckwheat flour, a nutrient dense flour that has no gluten. French people love buckwheat flour crepes for savory fillings but it is a also a delicious vehicle to any sweet jam, nut butters and maple syrup.
Enjoy the lovely vegan crepes !
Vegan crepes batter
- 1 3/4 cup white wheat flour - I used white spelt flour but any white flour are fine
- 2 3/4 cup almond milk or any dairy free milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil or vegetable oil of your choice (Avocado oil, canola oil)
- 1 tablespoon crystal sweetner (coconut sugar or sugar or sugar free erythritol) I used sugar free sweetner
To grease the crepe pan
- 1 teaspoon cooconut oil - to grease the pan
- In a blender add all the ingredients.
- Blend on high speed for 30 seconds. Stop, scrap the side of the blender and blend again for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the batter into a bowl. If you don't have a blender, feel free to combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl using a whisk to avoid lumps.
- Heat a lightly oiled crepe pan over medium/high heat. I recommend to use coconut oil and to rub the oil onto the pan using a piece of absorbent paper to avoid adding too much oil.
- Scoop the batter onto the pan, then tip and rotate the pan to spread batter as thinly as possible.
- Brown on both sides about 1-2 minutes on each sides and serve hot with your favorite fillings.