Keto Butternut Squash Soup With Ginger
This Keto Butternut Squash Soup is a delicious, low-carb soup made with a handful of wholesome ingredients for a heart-warming winter meal with a ginger twist.
This soup has a dairy-free option and is also gluten-free, grain-free, and above all, scrumptious.
Is Butternut Squash Keto-Friendly?
Butternut Squash, or butternut pumpkin as it’s known in Australia and New Zealand, is a winter vegetable with an elongated shape.
Its flesh is rich in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, magnesium, and potassium and brings about 8 grams of net carbs per 100 grams when raw, slightly less when cooked, making it one of the low-carb vegetables.
How To Make Butternut Squash Soup
Making Butternut soup is easy, and you only need 6 wholesome ingredients.
To make this Keto Butternut Squash Soup, you need:
- A Butternut Squash – peeled with its seeds scooped out and cut in large chunks. Butternut Squash is a low-carb vegetable, suitable for a keto diet.
- Onion peeled, finely chopped. Choose a small onion to limit the total carbs in this butternut squash soup recipe.
- Fresh Ginger – ginger brings a spicy twist.
- Garlic Cloves
- Vegetable Broth – or chicken broth if you prefer, but it wouldn’t be vegetarian or vegan anymore.
- Heavy Cream – or Coconut Cream for a dairy-free version.
Prepare your soup ingredients by cutting the vegetables: chop the onion, grate the ginger, crush the garlic, and slice the butternut squash into small cubes.
Then, heat a large saucepan or pot with olive oil and add the chopped onion and crushed garlic once the oil is hot.
Let it simmer for a few minutes to color the onion before adding the butternut squash cubes.
Stir the butternut to coat it with oil and onion and cook for a few minutes to let it roast a bit. You don’t have to turn it into a puree before making the soup.
Cooking the Soup
When the butternut squash is fragrant, add the vegetable broth and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to low and let the keto soup simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream or coconut cream and blend the soup with an immersion blender.
You can choose to blend it ultra-smooth leaving the blender for longer, or slightly chunky by blending for just about a minute.
Season the soup to taste with more salt and pepper when it’s cooked.
If the soup is too thick, you can adjust it with a touch of coconut milk and boost its flavors.
For a very wintery flavor, you can add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
Toppings can make a simple soup turn into a delicious, fancy meal.
The most popular soup toppings are
- Shredded blend cheese
- Sour cream
- Oven-roasted chickpeas
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
You can store this Keto Butternut Squash Soup for up to 7 days in the fridge. Keep it in an airtight container and rewarm it in a bowl with a microwave or in a saucepan for a few minutes.
It’s also possible to freeze it in glass containers in the freezer. Thaw them overnight in the fridge before heating your soup in a saucepan.
More Soup Recipe Ideas
If you’ve enjoyed this soup, I recommend also trying my other healthy soup recipes:
Keto Butternut Squash Soup With Ginger
Want My Kitchen Equipment?
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion peeled, finely chopped
- 1 thumb Fresh Ginger peeled, grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves peeled, finely chopped
- 35 oz Butternut Squash peel, scoop out the seeds and strings, cut in large chunks (1 kg)
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream or canned coconut cream if dairy-free
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream or coconut cream if dairy free
- 2 tablespoons Shredded Parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Cook onion, ginger, and garlic for 3 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add butternut squash pieces. Give a good stir, cover, and cook for 2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetable pieces are soft and tender.
- Stir in heavy cream (or canned coconut cream) and blend the soup to a smooth consistency using an immersion stick blender. Season to taste.
- Serve with a spoonful of coconut cream or heavy cream, grated Parmesan, cracked black pepper.
- Store up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
Ingredients:Butternut SquashHeavy Cream
Cooking Method:Make Ahead
Preparation:Under 30 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.
Share this post!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your close ones!
Leave a comment
This soup recipe was great. I followed it but I added 1 cup of roasted butternut squas, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger powder (because I didn’t have fresh) and I used an organic broth cube by Go Bio. Thanks! I am ready for Fall!! 🙂
I am so in love with your recipe adds-on! It look wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us! XOXO Carine.
Hello! May I know how much ml for 1cup of the stock?
Hello! 1 cup of liquid always makes 240 ml. Enjoy the lovely soup. XOXO Carine.
Great soup! I made it on Thanksgiving, and my whole family loved it. I am making it again tonight-kids love it.
Thanks for your beautiful feedback. I am so happy your family love it too ! Enjoy the recipes on the blog. XOXO Carine.
Just made a pot of this soup and it’s delicious! So easy and I made it in my Instapot! Since I love spicy food, I will add a chili to the o ions, garlic, and ginger to give it an extra kick. ?
Recipe with an Instantpot and crockpot please. Thank you so much!