Sweet Potato Tots
Sweet potato tots are the tastiest way to sneak some extra vegetables into your diet!
Well, these cheesy sweet potato tots will quickly become one of your next favorite appetizers!
Trust me. These simple vegetable bites will seduce all your friends and even the kids! I have a huge passion for healthy finger food.
How To Make Sweet Potato Tots
These Sweet Potato Tots are super easy to make.
- Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes are lower in carbs than regular potatoes and bring a smooth texture to the tots.
- Egg – you can either use a poultry egg or make your own flax egg if you are vegan.
- Grated Cheese – use either vegan cheese or regular dairy cheese.
- Onion – I like to use white onions for these tots, but you can use red onions.
- Breadcrumbs – I like to use lower-carb breadcrumbs, but regular crumbs work as well.
- Parsley – or any fresh herbs you like such as cilantro.
Start by baking the sweet potatoes to make the mashed sweet potato.
I love to bake my sweet potatoes because they had some nutty flavor to the flesh that you don’t have when you boil them.
Also, it keeps the mash ‘dryer’ and is easier to use in this recipe. So place them in the oven for 30 minutes.
Pick some holes all around your sweet potatoes because baking them releases the extra moisture.
It is also better to wait a while before you extract the sweet potato flesh from their skin because it burns!
Making The Batter
Extract the sweet potato flesh and place it in a large mixing bowl.
Add the egg yolk, grated cheese, sliced onion, crushed garlic, breadcrumbs, fresh herbs, and salt.
Combine the batter with a wooden spoon until it’s well combined.
Form small 30 small sweet potato tots and place them on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Cook the tots for 20 to 30 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
These Sweet Potato Tots can be stored for a week in the fridge, or you can freeze them in small batches of 6 or 8 in zip-lock bags.
Reheat them in the oven for 10 minutes or in the air fryer.
If you are allergic to any of the ingredients, you can substitute the following:
- Sweet Potatoes: you can use regular potatoes or rutabaga!
- Egg: Swap the egg for flaxseed eggs.
- Grated Cheese: use a vegan cheese alternative.
- Breadcrumbs: opt for a gluten-free breadcrumb alternative if you are allergic to gluten.
Did You Like This Recipe?
Sweet Potato Tots
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.