This Keto French Baguette recipe is a thin crusty keto French bread 100 % egg-free and dairy-free and a real bread flavor. Plus, this easy keto bread recipe is also egg-free, grain-free, and keto paleo-approved with only 2.8 grams of net carbs per slice.
How to make keto French baguette?
As a French girl, creating my own keto baguette recipe for breakfast is a dream! Imagine a crusty breadstick with yeasty bread crumbs and only 2.8 grams of net carbs. Keep reading to learn how to make a keto baguette in your own kitchen with only simple ingredients.
Ingredients for keto baguette
All you need to make these egg-free keto bread recipes are few simple ingredients. First, you need a combination of keto flours to mimic a real French artisan baguette’s texture.
No flour substitution is allowed in this recipe, or the result wouldn’t be good!
Then, a touch of dried yeast for flavor and finally some olive oil adds a delicious earthy flavor to the bread.
- Almond flour – you need ultra-fine almond flour for this recipe. It means ultra-fine golden almond flour, not a thick almond meal, or the bread dough won’t come together and be very wet. For more on keto flours, please read about my favorite keto-friendly flours.
- Coconut flour – you can’t swap coconut flour with more almond flour.
- Flaxseed meal – this refers to finely ground flaxseed, preferably golden flaxseed, to avoid a fishy hearty smell often present in brown flaxseeds.
- Dried yeast – this won’t raise the bread, but it adds a delicious yeasty flavor similar to French sourdough bread. Note that yeast can’t raise keto gluten-free bread very much.
- Inulin – this is the best sugar-free yeast activator. Otherwise, you can use maple syrup. Since the yeast feed on maple syrup, there is no sugar left in the recipe at the end.
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Lukewarm water – it means water at 98F/37C, think batch temperature. Don’t use boiling water, or the bread dough will be overly elastic.
For a different perspective on this recipe, watch my web story: making the keto baguette step by step.
First, prepare the yeast mixture. Whisk together the dried active yeast with lukewarm water and inulin or maple syrup. Set aside for 10 minutes.
In another large mixing bowl, combine the keto flours. It’s essential to whisk the flours evenly so the fibers are well distributed in the bowl. This prevents the psyllium husk from forming lumps when in contact with liquids in the next steps.
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
Form the baguette dough
Pour the yeast mixture and olive oil and apple cider vinegar onto the bowl with the keto flours. First, stir with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Then, lightly oil your hands and knead the dough for at least 1 minute to give the fiber time to soak the liquid.
Slightly rub the surface of the dough ball with olive oil. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set it aside for 30 minutes.
Divide dough into baguettes
Now, split the dough into 2 equal portions and roll each portion into an 8-inch/20 cm cylinder. Place each cylinder onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and form cuts on top of the cylinder using a sharp knife.
Bake the baguette
Bake the bread in preheated oven 350F for about 40-50 minutes or until crusty and golden brown on the outside.
Can I add an egg to this recipe?
No, you can’t remove the psyllium husk to add eggs or egg whites in this recipe. It won’t work well, and you will lose the chewy crumb texture of this delicious French keto bread recipe.
How many servings per baguette?
If you want to integrate this keto baguette recipe as part of your keto meal plan, note that each 8-inch keto baguette serves 6 slices. One slice weighs about 45 grams/ 1.6 oz and provides 2.8 grams of net carbs.
How to eat keto baguette?
You can use this keto vegan baguette bread to make sandwiches. Add butter, ham cheese, and keto vegetables for a fulfilling keto sandwich.
Another option is to use this bread to make keto garlic bread. Add garlic butter on top of the bread. Finally, if you are a sweet tooth like me, use this bread for breakfast.
Spread keto chia seed jam, almond butter, or butter on top of your slice for a delicious sweet keto breakfast. Note that you can toast the bread slices to boost the crispy texture of your bread.
Tips to make egg-free keto bread
This is an egg-free keto bread recipe, which means that you must measure your ingredient with precision to achieve a bread that is not wet in the center. My top keto baking tips to make keto bread without eggs or cheese is to use
- Ground psyllium husk – don’t use whole husk, or the bread turns wet inside and often changes into blue, purple color. My favorite brand is Now food psyllium husk powder.
- Scoop and sweep method – this is how you should measure all the ingredients in this recipe to avoid adding too much flour. Scoop the flour from the bag, slightly pack and sweep any extra to level up the measuring cup perfectly.
More keto bread recipe without eggs or dairy
If you follow me for a while, you know how much I love to create keto bread recipes that are dairy-free with no eggy taste. The reason is purely based on taste! Keto bread can be eggy or cheesy and consequently disappointing if you miss real bread. My keto bread recipes are always balanced to avoid an eggy flavor, and some below are another great one for you to try!
Made these keto baguette bread recipe and love them? Share a review or comment below, I love to connect with you.
Keto French Baguette recipe
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- 1 cup Lukewarm water think bath temperature 37C/98F not boiling water!
- 2 teaspoons Active dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon Inulin or maple syrup - this won't leave sugar in the recipe!
- 1 ¼ cup Almond flour
- ¼ cup Coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons Flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup Ground Psyllium husk
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, prepare the yeast mixture, combine lukewarm water, dried yeast, and inulin. Set aside 10 minutes.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk all the flour: almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, psyllium husk, and salt.
- Pour the yeast mixture, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar into the flour bowl.
- Combine with a spoon at first, then lightly oil your hands and knead the dough for at least 2 minutes. The dough is very wet at first and dries out as you go. It should stay soft, slightly sticky, but not overly wet. If so, add more husk, up to 1 tablespoon, until the dough is soft and holds as a ball.
- Form a dough ball, slightly oil the outside of the dough ball with olive oil and cover the mixing bowl with a towel. Set aside 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough ball into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into a long loaf (about 8-inch/20cm long and 1.5 inches in diameter), with pointed ends to look like a French baguette.
- Place each baguette onto the prepared baking tray, leaving a 2-thumb space between each baguette.
- Using a sharp knife to make 4 elongated slashes on each baguette.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until brown and crusty.
- Cool down on a rack before slicing. The crust will soften with time, but you can toast baguette slices in the bread toaster before serving.
- Each baguette can be sliced into 6 equal slices of about 45g/1.6 oz each. Nutrition panel is for 1 slice.
- Store the baguette wrapped in a clean towel for up to 4 days at room temperature or freeze and thaw at room temperature the day before.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.