Low Carb donuts – easy baked almond flour donuts
I am craving donuts for ages and for once, the most difficult part wasn’t to create a low carb donuts recipe but finding the right non stick donuts pan. Honestly, this was a struggle. I tried silicon pan first, the donuts stick so much to it that I had to throw away the pan with the donuts inside. Next, I bought an average price one, same issue. So now that I finally get a non stick 6 holes donuts cavity pan that don’t ruin my recipe I can share lovely pictures of my low carb donuts with you.
Those are easy baked almond flour donuts or should I say keto glazed donuts as they are beautifully covered with a chocolate peanut butter glazing! You know how much I love the chocolate peanut butter combo right? Chocolate Peanut butter Chia pudding, chocolate peanut butter avocado cookies I never stop with this duo!
Whatever how I call them this is what you need to make those:
- Almond meal or almond flour both works well
- Coconut milk – I used package coconut milk but any sort of milk work as well like almond milk, cow milk.
- Apple cider vinegar + baking soda – don’ skip this combo please! This recipe is gluten free, and this is the combo of ingredients that will make your donuts raise well. Any vinegar could work but apple cider has the lighter flavor in sweet baking and amazing healthy properties
- Eggs – you know my husband is vegan so I always try to make the recipe egg free, but sorry this particular one needs eggs!
- Sugar free crystal sweetener – I love to use erythritol this one is good or monk fruit sugar. Both are low carb, keto approved and sugar free sweetener.
- Vanilla essence – just because there is never enough vanilla in donuts
My tip to easily fill your donut pan with the batter is to transfer the donuts batter into a zip plastic bag, cut one of the corner and use as a pipping bag! It avoids lots of mess in the kitchen and you can throw away the bag, no cleaning! Lazy me !
Keto glazed donuts : Chocolate peanut butter glazing
It is optional to glaze those low carb donuts are they are already delicious on their own. However, that extra glaze bring them from delicious to amazing ! I wouldn’t skip this step, really. All you need to make beautiful keto glazed donuts are those 3 extra ingredients:
- Peanut butter – I am using a tiny amount in the chocolate glazing, you can use any nut butter, if you are paleo use almond butter.
- Sugar free dark Chocolate – I am using sugar free stevia sweetened dark chocolate but if not 100% sugar free you can use dark chocolate >85% cocoa for an healthy alternative
- Coconut oil – or use refined coconut if you don’t enjoy the coconut flavor of unrefined coconut oil. Other oil could work too but the glazing won’t set as well.
Texture and storage
Baked donuts are as tasty as fried donuts – except it is healthier for you! Even if keto is about eating fat, frying food is still not the best healthy way to cook food as it destroy lots of nutriment. So those baked low carb donuts are your healthy treat. The texture of those donuts will be very different depending on the temperature you store them.
In the pantry, they stay soft and airy. In the fridge, they get dense, bready and cold – of course. It is my favorite way to store them, in the fridge. I usually take them out the fridge 2 hours before eating, so they are cold but not too cold but still dense. It reminds me the Krispy Kream donuts I bought form the store 5 years ago.
I hope you will enjoy this first low carb donuts recipe. If you do, I will definitely be happy to create more of them. I already make a similar recipe with chocolate or pumpkin that my kids approved. Let me know!
Watch the low carb keto glazed donuts recipe video and make them now !
Low carb donuts Keto glazed donuts - Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Preheat oven to fan bake 180C (360F).
- Oil a non stick 6-cavity donuts pan with vegetable oil of your choice or coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, baking soda and apple cider vinegar. You don't need to whisk long just 30 seconds to combine everything together and bet eggs.
- Stir in almond meal and sugar free crystal sweetener. Combine until it forms a donuts dough - about 1 minute.
- Fill each donuts hole up to 3/4 to leave some space for the donuts to raise.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of donuts comes out clean and the top is set and golden/brown.
- Cool down to room temperature on a rack, before adding the chocolate peanut butter glazing.
- In a small bowl, add sugar free chocolate, peanut butter and coconut oil. Microwave by 30 seconds burst, stir and repeat until the mixture is fully melted. It shouldn't take more than 1 minute.
- Dip each donuts up side down into the glazing - make sure you dip the side that was in contact with the donuts pan.
- Place each donuts on a plate or cooling rack - side with no glazing sitting on the rack - to cool down. TIP: bring the plate 3 minutes into the freezer to set the top. It will also firm up the donuts dough and they will taste denser like real Krispy cream donuts !
- You can store them in the pantry, they stay softer or for a dense donuts as from the shop, store in the fridge in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Nutrition panel is for one donuts. This recipe makes 6 baked low carb donuts with glazing. Net carb : 3.5 g per donuts including glazing