Chocolate avocado muffins – healthy avocado muffins
You know my passion for avocado and chocolate right? I shared SO many avocado desserts recipe on this blog, unbelievable ! You loved my low carb chocolate avocado cookies so much that I thought I should share my secret mini chocolate avocado muffins recipe too. You really need to make those if you are looking for :
- an easy healthy muffin recipe. 5 simple ingredients that we all have in our kitchen – well, 7 ingredients if you add the baking soda and chocolate chips but both are optional if you run out !
- a chocolate treat with no guilt. This recipe contains few calories, only healthy fats from avocado and NO sugar – if your using sugar free maple syrup as I do. If not, it is still unrefin sugar free so it is a good healthy choice.
- an allergy friendly muffin recipe – those tick all the diet boxes, gluten free + dairy free + vegan + paleo + keto. Of course, those are not nut free, but if you really can’t have nut go for oat flour instead of almond meal.
Easy 5 ingredients muffin recipe – ready in 20 minutes
All you need is 5 main ingredients, 2 ingredients are optional but recommended which means the recipe will work without them but it taste better with it !
- Avocado – choose a soft, ripe avocado and remove any dark spot if needed
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Almond meal also known as almond flour or ground almond. All of those will work in this recipe.
- Liquid sweetener – use your favorite I love sugar free maple flavored syrup but any other option works if you are not eating sugar free I recommend brown rice syrup or regular maple syrup.
- Baking soda – this is optional! It works without it but the texture is dryer and less ‘fluffy’ so I highly recommend it
- Chocolate chips – you can use less chips – 1/3 cup is enough but I used 1/2 cup to fully hide the avocado flavor. The less you are using the more you will taste the avocado of course ! I am using vegan sugar free chocolate chips as always. You can make the recipe with the chips you love.
- Vanilla – again the recipe will work without vanilla if you run out of it ! but that is a nice addition to the chocolate flavors!
You have two option to make this reciepe
1. Add all the ingredients into the food processor = more cleaning ! It works but the batter is thick and sticky so it is not the best option – lots of clean up later on! The batter stick to the S blade attachment of the food processor and it is a nightmare to clean, lots of soaking in hot water, rubbing. Well, you get it , I hate cleaning dishes !
2. Make the avocado cream in the food processor, then combine with the rest of the dry ingredients into a bowl. You will have two bowls to clean BUT you will avoid a the cleaning of a food processor blade covered with sticky chocolate muffin batter! trust me, it is not fun. I was making the recipe this way at first and it is too messy. So follow the recipe below for success with no mess.
Watch the chocolate avocado muffins recipe video and make then now !
Chocolate Avocado Muffins are healthy fudgy chocolate muffins 100 % Vegan + Paleo + Gluten free + Keto approved!
Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line a mini muffin tray with muffin paper cups. set aside.
In a food processor, add the avocado, liquid sweetener and vanilla extract.
Blend on high speed until it forms a cream. It should take about 30 seconds. Feel free to stop the food processor every 15 seconds, scrap down the side of the bowl and repeat until a creamy shiny green avocado batter forms with no lumps.
Transfer the avocado cream into a clean bowl, add almond meal, unsweetened cocoa powder and baking soda.
Combine with a spatula until all the ingredients comes together into a thick sticky and shiny chocolate batter. It usually takes less than a minute to form the batter.
Stir in the chocolate chips of your choice, then scoop one tablespoon of batter and form ball into your hands. The batter is a bit sticky so you can rub your hands with a tiny bit of vegetable oil, like coconut oil, before rolling to keep your hands clean.
Add each balls of muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin - I highly recommend using muffin paper cups for this recipe. It is much easier to unmold the muffin when baked.
Bake for 12-15 minutes max at 180C (350F). It is ready when the top of the muffin are cooked.
Cool down into the muffin pan for 10 minutes. I set up a clock to make sure it is cooling down for 10 minutes. This process will firm up the muffins and keep the fudgy texture in the middle.
Transfer to a cookie rack to fully cool down.
Store well in the pantry for up to 3 days or even in the fridge for an extra fudgy texture.
Liquid sweetener: if you are on a low carb diet use sugar free maple flavored liquid sweetener. If not any liquid sweetener like maple syrup, agave or brown rice syrup will work well.
Chocolate chips: you can use less chips 1/3 cup is great too but I recommend 1/2 cup to fully hide the avocado flavor. You can use sugar free vegan chocolate chips or the one you like.
Size: mini muffins works better with this recipe.
Nutrition panel is calculated for one mini muffin using sugar free vegan chocolate chips and sugar free maple syrup. See product brand used in ingredients list. Net carb per muffins is total carbs minus fibre!
Nutrition panel is for one mini muffin using sugar free chocolate chips. The recipe create 12 mini muffins.