Chocolate Avocado Cake – low carb birthday cake!
You know my obsession for chocolate avocado dessert right? I thought I covered all the possible chocolate avocado dessert recipe on my blog until I made this chocolate avocado cake. Well, I already shared with you plenty of low carb sugar free chocolate avocado dessert on this blog.
So here it is, the chocolate avocado is born with those simple ingredients :
- Almond meal or almond flour both works well.
- Eggs – don’t substitute for flax egg it won’t work as well!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sugar free crystal sweetener – I used Monk Fruit sugar free sweetener but erythritol or Swerve or other helathy sugar free options
- Baking soda – it gives a little raise to the cake
- Avocado – make sure you use ripe avocado and if unsure of your avocado size, check the amount of flesh in your avocado. Here in New Zealand one avocado makes about 1/2 cup of avocado puree.
- Yogurt – you can use any yogurt including dairy free yogurt, all works
- Salt – don’t skip this it adds a delicious balance in the frosting
- Vanilla – there is no cake without touch of vanilla right?
It is a two steps easy chocolate cake recipe. All you have to do is to blend the wet ingredients into a blender or food processor to make sure there is no lumps of avocado in your cake. Then, simply combine the dry and wet ingredients to form a consistent chocolate cake batter.
How does it taste ?
NO it doesn’t taste like avocado! I used only 1 avocado in the cake batter – I would usually use 2 avocados, but too much avocado would have create a super fudgy dense cake. I wasn’t sure all my friends would love it so I used a combo of avocado and yogurt. It create the best low carb chocolate birthday cake. A delicious chocolate flavor, moist, airy and slightly fudgy with NO avocado flavor at all!
Chocolate avocado frosting
The frosting is optional but I highly recommend it ! It taste like a chocolate mousse and it is the most decadent addition to this simple chocolate avocado cake.
Otherwise, you could also simply drizzle melted sugar free chocolate on top. But the extra chocolate topping is a must! You can also make a layer birthday cake with this recipe. I would recommend to double up the recipe and bake the recipe in 2 different round cake pan. Then use the chocolate avocado frosting to stick the 2 cake layers together.
I hope you enjoyed this new chocolate avocado creation. Any questions, drop a comment below I love to help!
Watch the chocolate avocado cake recipe and make it now
Chocolate avocado cake - sugar free+ gluten free + keto
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Grease a 8 inches round cake pan with coconut oil (or oil of your choice), set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the cake dry ingredients : almond meal, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar free crystal sweetener and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, add all the wet ingredients: avocado, yogurt, almond milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Process/blend until a smooth batter forms with no more lumps of avocado - it shouldn't take more than 45 seconds on high speed.
- Pour the liquid onto the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula until it forms a consistent chocolate cake batter.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared round cake pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. I recommend to check the cooking every 5 minutes from 25 minutes cooking to make sure your cake comes out perfectly.
- Cool down on a wire rack for about an hour before spreading the chocolate avocado frosting on top.
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- In a blender or food processor, add all the frosting ingredients : avocado, coconut cream, sugar free crystal sweetener, unsweetened cocoa powder, melted coconut oil and salt.
- Blend/process until it form a chocolate frosting with no more lumps of avocado. You may have to stop your blender every 20 seconds, scrap down the bowl with a spatula and repeat until your thick shiny chocolate frosting forms with no lumps.
- Spread the chocolate frosting on top of you cool chocolate avocado cake.
- You can freeze the whole cake for 10 minutes to set the frosting better and get a really fudgy cake texture or simply serve immediately.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in a cake box. The cake gets super fudgy in the fridge, it is delicious!
This chocolate avocado cake serve 12 slices. Nutrition panel is for one slice using full fat Greek Yogurt and Sugar free Monk fruit sweetener.