Hello! Who is keen to try some healthy taco shells recipe with carrots? Yep, Healthy carrot taco shells, shall we talk about that ?? Keep reading!
Healthy taco shells recipe – Baked soft taco shells
Bonjour Sweet friends! Carine here again with my obsession for clean food recipes. I must say I don’t regret my choice to blog full time for 3 years now. Since I decided to leave my office job – I was a (boring) business analyst in finance – and focus on my family and health I never felt so GREAT! Yesterday again I had a blood test and my diabetes is NOT back – diabetes really S**KS and I am glad I get rid of it! I must tell, sharing recipes on this blog turns me in a pretty damn healthy eater!
Seriously, I have to admit that I would never had the idea to create healthy taco shells recipe using carrots! Since diabetes knocked to my door after my pregnancy, I keep creating amazing healthy appetizers recipes. I have always been a huge bread lover. I bought tons of ready made taco shells, tortillas and all crap finger food from the store. But well, that was BEFORE and thanks GOD I am now on the clean eating path and feel super healthy. Well, I never give up on my LOVE of finger food : pizza, tacos and burgers are still on my menu each week BUT I am now creating healthy finger food that is actually good for my body. SO if you are like me – a finger food lover – but you need to cut on carbs and boost your veggie intake do not go further this carrot taco shell is for you!
Carrot taco Shells : baked soft taco shells
SO now you probably want to ask me, are those healthy taco shells recipe complicate ? HELL NO! Should I remind you that I have got an excited 3 years old little girl on my feet all day – yes she don’t go for a nap anymore – so I don’t have time for long or complex healthy recipes.
You will never find those recipes on my blog.
I am all into HEALTHY + SIMPLE + TASTY (AND FUN). SO, all you need to make this healthy taco shells recipe are 4 ingredients (or 5 if you add salt). I used a mix of grated carrot that I lightly cooked in water for 5 minutes in my microwave until the veggie get soft and tender. ALERT! This is very important that you squeeze out all the extra water from the cooked carrots before combining with grated cheese and oat flour or it n’t work. I simply used some absorbent paper to dry out the cooked grated carrot but a clean towel will work well too well, if you are okay to color your towel in orange !! YEP! I did it and the towel is now used in my girl playroom for painting activities.
I drink beer sometimes even if I had diabetes and it did not kill me – well, I prefer red wine as a French girl but sometimes a cold beer is refreshing! I don’t believe in strict diet – it never worked for me, I never lost a pound or fix my diabetes with diet. BUT since I simply eat clean 80% of the week and indulge 20% of the time I lost 6 pounds, reversed my diabetes and feel amazing. So YES each weekend I will have some less healthy food and it is what makes me happy and keep me healthy. You see, another reason to make those carrot taco shells to enjoy a beer.
Healthy taco shells recipe – hot hard taco shell or cold soft taco shells
I stuffed my healthy taco shells recipe with green salad, sprouts, grilled chicken and a drizzle of home made olive oil mayonnaise. Of course any regular taco filling will work very well with this recipe. I have always been a big fan of diced grilled beef in my tacos with red onion and capsicum and that is my other option. I love this recipe for dinner. It is simple, low carb and full of good complex carbs! I made 4 medium size taco shell of about 15 cm (6 inch) diameter.
WATCH MY CARROT TACO SHELLS RECIPE VIDEO AND MAKE THEM NOW !
Healthy Carrot Taco Shells | Baked Soft Taco Shells
- Wash, peel and grate carrots.
- Place them into a bowl cover with 1/2 cup tap water. Microwave 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the cooked grated carrots into a clean absorbent paper or towel.
- Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrot are don't contain any water. You can also pat dry the cooked grated carrots between two sheets f absorbent paper to prevent too much moisture. This is a very important step. If the carrots are too moist the tacos will not hold well together.
- Place into a bowl and add the grated cheese, eggs, oat flour, salt and pepper. Combine until it forms a sort of batter.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place small portion of the carrot mixture onto the prepared tray. I used a 5 cm mechanical Ice cream scoop maker to measure equal quantity and I split the whole batter into 4 portions.
- Press with your finger to compact the carrot onto the tray as a flat circle.
- Bake at 390 F (200 C) for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
- Gently remove the carrot tacos from the baking paper by lifting them from the side, using your finger or a tongue.
- Eat warm filled with filling of your choice.
- If you want to create a taco like shape. Cool down the shells on a bottle . I used small (17 oz) 500 ml bottle of water but any small bottle like beer bottles will work. The carrot taco will harden slightly when cooling down.
This recipe makes 4 medium size healthy taco shells. Nutrition panel is for one carrot taco shell.