Keto no bake cookies – 20 minutes, less 10 ingredients
Let’s be honest I am a lazy cat. I don’t like spending hours in the kitchen to make food even if I love cooking. It has to be easy, quick and delicious! Lately, I have been into no bake recipes a lot. No bake recipes are the best way to enjoy an healthy sweet treat in less than 30 minutes. I enjoy so much my no bake low carb granola bars for breakfast that I thought I should create a similar no bake cookie recipe for my snacks.
All need to make those keto no bake cookies are:
- Almond meal
- Walnuts – make sure you roughly chopped them, you want to keep bites and pieces of walnuts to mimic the cornflakes that you would found in a afghan biscuit
- Flax seed meal – it adds a good bunch of fiber and healthy fats to those bars
- Sugar free crystal sweetener – I love to use erythritol or Monk fruit sugar. Both are natural, sugar free and low carb sweetener safe for diabetics. If you are on a paleo diet, coconut sugar will work too.
- Coconut oil – refined or unrefined depending on how you like coconut flavor. The refined coconut oil doesn’t add coconut flavor to your baking.
- Peanut butter – or any butter you like I also love to use almond butter or sunflower seed butter for a nut free butter
- Unsweetened cocoa powder or unsweetened cacao powder
- Sugar free chocolate chips – I used stevia sweetened chocolate but any dark chocolate >85% cocoa is an healthy option
- Coconut cream – or full fat cream if you are not vegan and tolerate dairy
New Zealand healthy Afghan biscuits
You should know by now that I live in new Zealand for 7 years and this blog is about sharing low carb sugar free copycat recipe of my favorite food right? Those keto no bake cookies has been inspired by the popular New Zealand Afghans biscuits recipe. I discovered the deliciousness of afghan cookies when I moved in New Zealand 7 years ago. If you never try an Afghan biscuits in your life this is how you recognize them. They are delicious – carb loaded!- cocoa buttery biscuits with crunchy pieces of cornflakes in the middle, covered with chocolate glazing and half walnut in the middle. That is it ! Those keto no bake cookies looks like an afghan biscuits and the pieces of walnuts mimic the usual cornflakes used in the NZ recipe.
If you love no bake cookies you will fall in love with those.
Store in the fridge or freeze!
Well, I usually eat a whole batch in less than a week – with the help of my kids and husband of course. But those are perfect to store up to 4 weeks in the fridge. You can even freeze them, simply defrost an hour before snack and they will be delicious.
Enjoy the recipe and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with your lovely creations. I love to see you making my recipe #sweetashoney.co or follow me @sweetahoney.co
Watch the keto no bake cookies recipe video and make them now!
(if you can’t see the video, disable your ad blocker)
Keto no bake cookies are low carb peanut butter chocolate cookies packed with healthy coconut oil, flaxmeal and walnuts. 100% dairy free + vegan + gluten free + sugar free.
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips or stevia sweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup canned coconut cream - thick part from top of can
- 2-4 drops stevia liquid optional, adjust regarding desired sweeteness
- 12 walnuts halves
Line parchment paper on one or two plates. Make sure the plates size fit your freezer as you must freeze those cookies to set. You may need more plate depending on your plate size. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients EXCEPT the sugar free sweetener (erythritol).
Stir to combine. Set aside.
In another mixing bowl, add peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla and erythritol. Microwave by 30 seconds burst, stirring between. Repeat until the coconut oil is fully melted and all the ingredients are combine. It should not take more than 1 minute 30 seconds.
If you don't have a microwave available, bring the ingredients into a small saucepan, warm under medium heat, stirring all the time until it forms a consistent mixture.
Stir in the peanut butter mixture onto the dry ingredients. Make sure the liquid cover all the dry ingredients, the batter will be quite wet and that is what you want.
Scoop out some cookie dough onto the prepared plate covered with parchment paper. You should be able to divide the batter into 12 large cookies.
Spread the dough with the back of a spoon to form a cookie shape.
Freeze for 20 minutes, until the cookies are hard. Meanwhile prepare the chocolate glazing.
In a mixing bowl add the sugar free chocolate chips, coconut cream and stevia drops. Microwave by 30 seconds burst as you did before, until the chocolate is fully melted. It will create a slightly thick chocolate cream.
Remove the cookies form the freezer.
Scoop out some of the chocolate glazing in the middle of each cookies and spread with the back of the spoon. Repeat for each cookies, until no more glazing left.
Decorate each no bake keto cookies by adding walnuts halves in the center.
Return to the freezer 2-3 minutes to set the glazing. Enjoy your no bake cookies!
This recipe makes about 12 large no bake cookies.
Storage: They must be stored in an airtight container in the fridge or they will soften even melt if it summer. Store up to 3-4 weeks in the fridge. You can also freeze those cookies and defrost 1 hour before eating.
Note: pictures shows large cookies. I found them very fulfilling and decided to make 24 cookies per batch instead of 12. The nutrition panel is for one small keto no bake cookies, 24 cookies per batch! (net carb per small cookies, 4.9g).