What are almond flour crackers
Almond flour crackers are delicious crunchy bites with a bread like texture that makes a delicious savory keto snack or keto low carb appetizer. They are easy to make using only 5 basic ingredients.
All you need are:
- Almond flour or ground almond both work the same. I don’t recommend almond meal, it is a thicker meal that gets the crackers darker and drier
- Flax meal – or ground flax seeds, this add healthy fat to your crackers and avoid eggs – and the egg flavor that goes with egg based crackers
- Water – use tap water
- Sea salt – I love to use salt water with a boost of kelp
- Spices – optional, of course the recipe will work perfectly with no spices but I love to use some to add more flavor to those simple crackers. I recommend my favorite combo, a mix of onion flakes, paprika, chili, garlic powder.
How to make your crackers?
Low carb baking is a bit different to regular baking as you are using nut flour or seed flour that contains lots of fiber. Fiber are water absorbent and makes low carb dough a bit more sticky than flour based ones.
Kitchen tools to bake keto crackers
I always recommend you roll the cracker dough between two pieces of non-stick parchment paper to avoid the dough to stick to the roller pin or use a silicon roller pin with silicon mat. The thicker you roll the crackers, the longer you need to bake them to be crispy. You can control the thickness of your crackers by rolling them with pastry rulers. I like mine slightly thick and roll them to 3 mm thickness. You can also shape the dough as a rectangle before you start rolling. It will make the cutting much easier if you want to shape beautiful rectangle shapes.
Watch the almond flour crackers video to see the steps by steps recipe !
I highly recommend you watch my recipe video before you start making this recipe. It will show you the most crucial steps and tools to make the recipe easily in your own kitchen.
Food platter with keto crackers
You can of course eat those almond flour crackers as an healthy snack but I found them amazing on a food platter. On a large plate or cheese board, add your keto crackers in a bowl in the center.
- Cheese – use different sort of cheese – hard cheese like old mature Cheddar, soft cheese like Camembert, or cream cheese like garlic and chives cream cheese
- Dips – Avocado dip or spinach dip or cauliflower hummus
- Low carb vegetables – cucumber slices, capsicum, roasted asparagus, gherkins, olives
- Protein – cured meat like chorizo, Italian ham, shrimps, boiled eggs
I hope you enjoyed those delicious low carb crackers. If you make them don’t forget to tag me on Instagram I love to see your creations.
Almond flour crackers
Almond flour crackers
- Preheat oven to 180 (370F).
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients, order doesn't matter. We recommend weighting the ingredients in grams for full precision.
- Stir the ingredients together using a silicon spatula . The dough will be moist at first , drying as you go, keep going until it forms a consistent dough. It should take about 1 minute until the dough comes together and the fiber from the flax meal absorb the water. Shape a ball of dough. Set aside 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Place the dough onto a piece of non-stick parchment paper. The dough should not be sticky, if so, read the troubleshooting note.
- Shape the dough as a rectangle with your hands - this is optional, it just make it easier to cut lovely rectangle crackers shapes.
- Place another piece of non-stick parchment paper on top of the dough. Press slightly with your hand palm to stick the piece of paper to the dough.
- Start rolling the dough with a roller pin up to 3 mm thickness. Use pastry rulers to guide you with thickness if you like. Note that thicker crackers takes more time to bake and crisp.
- Remove the top parchment paper layer. Dip a knife blade into the water, slightly dry with a towel. This will prevent the blade to stick to the dough. Cut rectangle shapes - you should be able to make 14 rectangles. I love to shape rectangles crackers and if you already shaped the dough as a rectangle you won't have leftover dough to re roll and reshape.
- Slide the parchment paper sheet with the cut-out crackers onto a baking tray Make sure you leave some space between each crackers to ensure a nice crisp on the border. If they are too close from each others they don't crisp as much.
- Bake at 180 C for 20-30 minutes, checking every 5 minutes from 20 minutes baking. The crackers on sides will cook faster, you can remove them first, cool down on a rack and bring back the rest of the crackers in the oven to bake them longer. They are cooked when the sides gets golden and crispy..
- If there is leftover dough (some that is not cut-out as beautiful rectangles), gather this dough to reform a dough ball. Repeat the rolling/cutting process again with this dough to form more almond flour crackers.
- Fully cool down on a cooling rack. The crackers will harden as they cool down.
- Store in a glass jar or airtight container (careful, plastic box soften the crackers) . Store up to 10 days in the pantry. Don't store in the fridge or they will soften.
Nutrition paneL is for one keto almond flour crackers. This recipe maekes 14 almond flour crackers. Serving size depends on your daily macro goals. 4 crackers as a snack is a fulfilling keto snack. Net carbs for one crackers (Carbs minus fiber) = 0.8 g