This Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe will fix all your pasta cravings in less than 30 minutes! Soft, tender steamed cauliflower bites coated with a cheesy mac and cheese sauce and only 5 grams of net carbs per serving!
Do you miss pasta dishes on your keto diet? We all miss that cheesy Mac and Cheese classic dish, and this Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is the best way to bring out all the flavor of a comforting mac and cheese dinner without the carbs from pasta.
Is Mac and Cheese keto?
No, a Mac and Cheese recipe is not keto-friendly for two reasons.
First, the cheese sauce from Mac and Cheese recipes contains lots of carbs from all-purpose flour and whole milk.
Next, the dish itself is made from elbow pasta or pasta made from wheat, and they are high-carb products that quickly raise your blood sugar level.
It means that even without the pasta, a mac and cheese sauce is not keto-friendly and high in carbs. So to enjoy Mac and Cheese flavors on a keto diet, you must make your own sauce and choose a pasta low-carb carb alternative you love.
How to make Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese?
There’s nothing easier than Cauliflower Mac and Cheese casserole! All you need are few basics ingredients and the same time as making this recipe using high-carb pasta! So dish the pasta and try this low-carb mac and cheese recipe!
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
- Head of cauliflower – cut into small florets 1 1/2 inches each and steamed. Cauliflower is a great keto-friendly vegetable.
- Unsalted Butter – learn why Butter is a keto-friendly dairy product, unlike milk.
- Softened cream cheese
- Unsweetened Almond milk
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded Gruyere or Emmental – avoid hard grated mozzarella. This option makes the sauce too stringy!
- Garlic Powder
- Dijon mustard
Cut and steam cauliflower
First, place the cauliflower head on a chopping board and trim outside leaves. Next, cut the head into small florets, bite-size of about 1 1/2 inches each.
Finally, place the florets into a steamer basket over a large saucepan of boiled water. Steam the florets for about 8 minutes.
You can also place the florets into a large mixing bowl and microwave for 6-8minutes until softer, not mushy. Set aside the cooked cauliflower for a few minutes or until they have steamed out.
Keto Mac and Cheese sauce
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter, then add almond milk, and bring to a light boil. Then, whisk in softened cream cheese, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
When the mixture is smooth, stir in 1 cup of each variety of shredded cheese. Keep cooking until the sauce is creamy and cheese is melted.
Finally, stir in the cooked cauliflower florets into the sauce and keep cooking for a few minutes until the cauliflower is well coated and flavored by the sauce.
To turn this Keto Mac and Cheese Cauliflower recipe into a casserole, place the cheesy cauliflower florets onto a large 9×13-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle extra 1 cup cheese on top of the casserole with 1/2 cup bacon bits and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and grilled.
Serve immediately with fresh chopped herbs if desired.
This keto cauliflower mac and cheese recipe freezes very well in a freezable container. Thaw in the fridge the day before and rewarm in a small saucepan or the microwave until hot.
You can also store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I believe that the sort of cheese you use in a mac and cheese recipe is the key to make it flavorsome. Therefore, I listed below all my favorite cheese combinations for you to try.
- Munster cheese and sharp cheddar
- Shredded parmesan and jack pepper cheese
- Emmental and sharp cheddar
Keto Mac and Cheese no cauliflower
If you don’t like cauliflower or you don’t have cauliflower on hand now but still crave a Keto Mac and Cheese dinner, there’s a cauliflower-free option for you.
- Broccoli – steamed broccoli florets are a great keto vegetable substitute for cauliflower.
- Low-carb pasta – there are plenty of options on the market like Palmini linguine made from palm heart, Atkin pasta, or shirataki noodles.
- Zucchini zoodles – use a spiralizer and make noodles from fresh zucchinis.
More cauliflower keto recipes
I love to prepare keto meals with cauliflower. It’s such a low-carb vegetable with a delicious texture to mimic pasta or potatoes without adding to the carb counts. Below I listed my favorite keto cauliflower recipes for you to try.
Have you made this keto cauliflower mac and cheese casserole recipe? Share a comment or review below with me,
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- 1 head Cauliflower about 1 lb cauliflower florets, 6 cups.
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 4 ounces Softened Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1 cup Grated Gruyere or Emmental
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
Optional add-ons for a keto casserole
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar
- ½ cup Bacon Bites
- Trim the cauliflower stems, remove the leaves, then break into small bite-size florets about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Place the florets into a steamer basket and steam for 8 minutes until fork tender.
- Cool down on a colander for few minutes until completely steamed out, then transfer to a large baking dish and spread into an even single layer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mac and cheese sauce.
- In a large saucepan - large enough to fit the cauliflower florets - add the butter and almond milk and bring to a light boil, then whisk in cubes of softened cream cheese, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- When the mixture is smooth, stir in shredded cheddar and shredded gruyere.
- Stir over low heat for 1 or 2 minutes or until the cheese just has melted and a creamy sauce forms. If too thick or stringy, add more almond milk at room temperature until it reaches your liking.
- Stir the cooked cauliflower florets into the sauce and keep cooking for 1-3 minutes until hot.
- For a casserole, transfer into a 9x13-inch baking dish, sprinkle extra shredded cheese on top, and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes or until cheese is broiled on top.
- Serve immediately with fresh herb or plain.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.