This Keto Jambalaya recipe is an easy one-pan Spanish, French-inspired dinner combining boneless chicken breast pieces, sausage, and shrimps cooked in a rich Cajun Spices tomato sauce.
The best keto Jambalaya recipe to feed the whole family on cold days.
What Is Jambalaya?
A traditional Jambalaya recipe is a popular New Orleans dish also inspired by French, and Spanish culture like Paella.
It’s a large dinner, made in one big pan that can feed a crowd. It’s very fragrant and full of taste and spices.
The traditional Jambalaya recipe is not keto-friendly because the meat and seafood are cooked with rice, a high-carb grain not suitable for a keto diet.
Why You’ll Love The Recipe
This low-carb jambalaya is surprisingly easy to make. They are a few ingredients to gather but the steps to make it are straightforward.
- One Pan Recipe
- Low In Carbs
- Feeds 8
How To Make Keto Jambalaya
This Keto Cauliflower Jambalaya recipe is a tasty, healthy Jambalaya alternative recipe to decrease carbs and enjoy a comforting one-pan keto dinner.
This keto-friendly Jambalaya recipe is the easiest keto dinner to make in one pot in less than 30 minutes.
It contains quite a few ingredients, but don’t worry about that, it still is the easiest recipe ever!
All you need to make this keto chicken and sausage Jambalaya are:
- Olive Oil – pick an extra-virgin olive oil for the best taste.
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Red Pepper – the combination of red and green bell pepper brings beautiful colors to the Jambalaya, but they also have slightly different tastes.
- Jalapeno – adjust to how spicy you love your dish.
- Boneless Chicken Breast – chopped into pieces.
- Shrimp – fresh or frozen, I used frozen shrimp.
- Sausage – the New Orleans-style Jambalaya generally features Andouille sausage but as a French person, I suggest trying chorizo sausage. This Spanish-inspired option boosts the spicy flavor of the dish.
- Diced Tomatoes – I like to use canned tomatoes, it’s both easier and faster. Make sure the can doesn’t contain added sugar.
- Dried Spices – basil, oregano, salt.
- Cajun Seasoning– read below how to make your own.
- Chicken Broth – You can use vegetable broth if you don’t have chicken broth.
- Cauliflower Rice – this replaces the classic rice used in the traditional Jambalaya recipe and it keeps the dish to be on the low-carb side.
Step 1: Cooking The Vegetables
First, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion.
Then, add the rest of the vegetables: diced celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic, and cook until tender.
Step 2: Cooking The Meat
Now, add the chicken and chorizo pieces (or andouille sausage) and cook until the meat is not pink.
Then, add the cauliflower rice, chicken broth, diced canned tomatoes, and all the dried spices.
Cover and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Step 3: Cooking The Shrimps
Meanwhile, cook the shrimp in a pan or on the barbecue until pink.
Add the cooked shrimp to the pot, stir and serve!
Overall this chicken and shrimp Low-Carb Jambalaya recipe takes just about 30 minutes to make.
This is a low-carb Cajun Jambalaya recipe which means that the main spices used in this recipe are Cajun Spices.
If you can’t find keto-friendly store-bought Cajun spices – sometimes they contain added starch or sugar – let me show you how easy you can prepare a batch of keto Cajun spices at home.
In a glass mason jar, combine all the dry ingredients below.
You can store your homemade Cajun Spices in the pantry for up to 6 months, in a sealed jar, and use it as a Cajun spices mix for any recipe.
Cajun Spices ingredients
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Pan Or Pot Should Use?
This Jambalaya recipe is a large one-pot recipe. Therefore, you must use a large pot or pan to cook all the ingredients together.
The best option is to use a Dutch oven pot as you see in the picture above.
Otherwise, a large non-stick pan with high borders can work too. The last option is to use a crockpot.
The recipe already contains all that you need for a fulfilling keto dinner.
It is delicious topped with chopped parsley and a drizzle of hot sauce for spicy lovers.
If you don’t mind some extra carbs you can serve this Jambalaya with cauliflower rice on the side.
The recipe already contains a small amount of cauliflower rice to keep the recipe keto-friendly.
For a slightly higher carb version – still a low-carb version! – serve with 1/2 cup fried cauliflower rice.
Simply fry some extra cauliflower rice in olive oil with garlic, and salt, and serve on the side.
You can make this recipe the day before and store it in the fridge.
I recommend storing the recipe in the pot you used to cook the recipe – I am using a Dutch oven pot for this recipe.
Cool completely in the pot then place the lid on top of the pot and store in the fridge.
Rewarm the next day over the stove, bring the pot over medium-high heat and rewarm until bubbles form on side of the pan.
More Easy Keto Dinner Recipes
I love easy keto dinners that whole the family can enjoy in less than 30 minutes.
Below are some other delicious keto comforting dinner recipes for you to try.
If you have made this keto Jambalaya recipe make sure you leave me a comment or review below! You can also join me on Instagram to share a picture of your creation!
Keto Jambalaya recipe
Want My Kitchen Equipment?
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- ½ cup Red Bell Pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ cup Green Bell Pepper seeded and chopped
- 1-2 Jalapeno Pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery diced – about 1 cup
- 6 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 pound Chicken Breast chopped
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage or chorizo for the Spanish inspired version
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 400g
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ cup Cauliflower Rice
- 1 pound Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
To serve – optional
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- Heat olive over medium heat in a large pan.
- Cook onions, peppers, garlic, and celery until softened and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in diced chicken and sausage. Cook stirring constantly until chicken is cooked, not pink.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, and Cajun seasoning and hot sauce if you like your dish very spicy
- Cover, cook, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower rice, chicken stock, bring a light boil then reduce to low heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. stirring often
- In another non-stick pan, warm olive oil over medium heat, add shrimp and sauté on each side until cooked. Season with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning.
- Stir the cooked shrimps into the Jambalaya pan.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley and extra hot sauce if you like it spicy!
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
ToolsGetting Started What Is Keto? Macro Calculator Sweetener Converter Meal Plans Recipe Ebooks Intermittent Fasting Keto Fruits Keto Vegetables Keto Flours Fighting Keto Flu Healthy Sweeteners
Cooking Method:Make AheadOne Pan
Preparation:Under 30 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.
Share this post!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your close ones!
Leave a comment
I just realized that last night’s delicious dinner (this recipe) originally called for garlic, but that the steps never included their addition! It was a hit regardless, but I know it would have been even better with. I don’t suppose the recipe could be amended to include the garlic back in, could it?
This is really good and I’ll be making it again. I found the recipe after I made your delicious almond flour corn bread!
Dutch ovens with cast iron should not be put into the refrigerator. Once used they should be cleaned and wiped dry. Water is the enemy of cast iron
OMG! I made this tonight and It is awesome! The flavor is wonderful…I cant wait to see what the left overs taste like. (I made your Cajun seasoning) After making new dishes I always ask my husband, “Is this a keeper”? This was a Yes! I will be trying more of your recipes. Thanks!
Thank you so much!
What are the portions for spices please
Scroll up in this post for recipe measurements
So good! I use Louisiana Hot Links instead of the sausage they recommend in the recipe. Still good.
Thank you so much for the nice review!
Delicious! I love that I can make my family some rice to serve this amazing meal over and just enjoy the keto version myself. Win-win!
Thank you so much! Glad all the family joined you on this delicious meal
What is the serving size one cup two cup
Serving size appears before the ingredients list. Enjoy
OMG!!!! this recipe is just the bomb!!!I always was trying to make Cajun food for my husband and the doctor change my diet so I try this one and he love it so much!!!!
From the South have not had a good meal like that in a whil!
This was amazing! I cut some of the jalepenos and added mahi mahi and scallops, I missed when to add the garlic in the directions, but realized it in time to ensure they were cooked just enough. This recipe was perfection!
Really good, I like mine a little soupy so I added some broth, a little more diced tomato and sriracha but followed the recipe exactly other than that and it was delicious!
So good!!! And so easy to follow the instructions! I’ve never had this dish before- not even in a restaurant and I’ve never cooked it, but now that I have… I’m going to impress everyone! Super keto friendly and using cauliflower rice just lowers the overall amount of carbs. Excellent recipe!
My husband and I loved this one. Definitely a keeper
My non keto husband loved it and asked me to make it again next week
Thank you SO SO much! I am so happy to hear that,. Enjoy the recipe together! XOXO Carine