Keto Mug Brownie
This Keto Mug Brownie is an easy recipe for a 90-second chocolate craving fix with only 5 grams of net carbs!
Plus, this fudgy keto mug brownie is also gluten-free and nut-free, made with coconut flour.
What’s A Keto Mug Brownie?
A keto mug brownie is a brownie recipe baked in a coffee mug in only 90 seconds in your microwave.
Keto brownie mug cakes are the ideal single-serve snack on a keto diet to fix a cake craving without eating sugar, carbs, and minimal baking time.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Who is craving a keto brownie recipe but doesn’t feel like spending 30 minutes in the kitchen? I’m sure you do, and that’s why you should make this keto mug brownie:
- Ready in 90 seconds
- Dairy-free Option
How To Make This Keto Mug Brownie
This keto chocolate mug brownie recipe is the easiest keto baking recipe ever!
It takes only 2 minutes to whip, and the ingredients you need to make this keto mug cake are pretty basics keto ingredients.
- Egg – eggs are of course keto-friendly.
- Coconut flour – this is a nut-free keto mug brownie recipe using only a tiny bit of coconut flour: you only need 2 teaspoons, scooped and swept! Teaspoons, not tablespoons, don’t get confused, or your keto low carb mug brownies will be very dry. In fact, coconut flour is a low-carb flour with a very high-fiber amount, and too much of it sucks up all liquid in the recipe resulting in a crumbly brownie.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Erythritol – or any crystal keto sweetener you love.
- Melted Butter or melted coconut oil for a dairy-free option.
- Vanilla Extract
- Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Chips – there are many commercial chocolate chips with no sugar available but you can also make your own with my sugar-free chocolate chip recipe.
Preparing the batter
First, to make this low-carb keto-friendly brownie in a mug, you need to beat egg with melted butter and vanilla extract in a microwave-safe mug.
Then, gently whisk in the dry ingredients starting with unsweetened cocoa powder – watch out. It burst out of the bowl easily.
Finally, whisk in sweetener and coconut flour, and baking powder.
Transfer the keto mug brownie batter to a tall coffee mug or wide microwave-safe ramekin.
Microwaving Mug Brownies
Bake in the microwave on 900W for 60-80 seconds – baking time varies depending on the texture you want to achieve for your keto mug brownie.
- For a fudgy keto brownie in a mug recipe – bake 60-70 seconds. It results in a soft, almost lava center.
- For a cake-like brownie texture – bake for 80-90 seconds. The crumb will be set like a cake, bouncy, still moist but firmer.
Keto Mug Brownie Serving Ideas
Before adding any topping to your mug brownie, let it steam out at room temperature for 1 minute.
During this time, the low-carb mug brownie texture is setting nicely, and the top dries out, creating the particular brownie ‘crust’ that we all love in a keto brownie.
Then, there are two options:
- Eat the brownie in the mug.
- Flip the keto mug brownie onto a plate – that’s messy and not my favorite!
Finally, time to add some toppings to make it even tastier. In fact, keto mug cakes, in general, tend to dry out fast, so it’s always tastier to serve them with a moist topping to balance their texture.
The best mug brownie toppings are:
- Unsweetened whipped cream – you can use coconut cream if dairy-free or vegan.
- Sugar-free chocolate chips – add a few more sugar-free chocolate chips to the hot brownie. They will melt and add a touch of sweetness!
- Sugar-free vanilla ice cream – a scoop of keto ice cream will be delicious on top of this.
- Crushed Pecans, walnuts, or Brazil nuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Keto Mug Brownies Taste?
A keto mug brownie has a strong chocolate flavor and a fudgy moist chocolate crumb.
Depending on how long you microwave your brownie, you can achieve a different level of fudginess.
Play with baking time from 60 seconds to 90 seconds to enjoy different keto mug brownies.
Can I Make Mug Brownies Ahead?
You can make the batter ahead and store it for up to 24 hours in a sealed container in the fridge.
However, you can’t store your keto mug brownie after it has been baked in the microwave.
In fact, microwave baked goods dry out very fast and won’t last more than 30 minutes.
After that time, their texture changes too much to be enjoyable.
What Is The Bets Microwave Setting?
The key to making a fudgy mug brownie is to learn from your microwave settings first!
In fact, if you are new to microwave baking, you should know that a microwave has the same power settings as an oven.
They run on different power ranges, from 600W to 1200W in general.
As a result, never make a keto mug cake recipe following the recipe baking time without checking your microwave power first!
Below are some of the general rules to bake with the microwave based on their powder.
- 600W – 90 seconds
- 900W – 70 seconds
- 1200W – 60 seconds
Can I Bake My Keto Mug Brownies In The Oven?
Of course, if you don’t have a microwave but still crave this delicious keto mug brownie, I have an oven option for you.
First, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
Then, select a single-serve oven-safe ramekin or small round cake pan.
Grease it with coconut oil and lay a piece of parchment paper at the bottom if you use an aluminum pan.
Finally, bake this mug brownie in the center rack of the oven for about 18 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the mug brownie come out with a little to no crumb on it!
Cool it down and enjoy!
You can make the following swaps to adapt the recipe to your allergies or intolerances.
- Coconut Flour: The ratio of almond flour to achieve a similar keto mug brownie texture is pretty different. In fact, almond flour and coconut flour are both low-carb flours but with different properties, and different amounts of fat, proteins, and fiber. So to replace 2 teaspoons of coconut flour in this recipe, you must use 3 tablespoons of ultra-fine almond flour.
- Erythritol: You can replace the erythritol with any other crystal sugar-free sweetener such as allulose, tagatose, or xylitol or a blend like Swerve that contains erythritol and monk fruit or stevia.
- Butter: You can replace the melted butter with melted coconut oil for a dairy-free keto mug brownie.
More Keto Mug Cake Recipes
Did you make this keto brownie in a mug? Share a comment or review below or for a larger serving, try my keto brownie recipe!
I love to hear your feedback on my keto recipes.
Posted In:ButterCocoa PowderCoconut FlourEggBakingOne BowlDairy-Free OptionGluten-FreeHealthyKetoLow-CarbVegetarianDessertSnackEasyUnder 10 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.