This easy keto pumpkin mug cake is the most delicious fall keto breakfast or snack baked in 90 seconds in your microwave oven! With only 6 grams of net carbs per serving, you can indulge in a tasty, fulfilling, moist pumpkin cake with no guilt!
Are you ready for keto fall recipes? This easy pumpkin mug cake is the best to start fall with no fuss!
Ready in 5 minutes, this easy microwave pumpkin mug cake is moist, fluffy, and tastes like pumpkin muffins without the carbs.
What’s a pumpkin keto mug cake?
It is a single-serve keto dessert ready in 90 seconds, and it is perfect for fixing your pumpkin cake craving with very few carbs and no sugar.
If you just began the keto diet, mug cakes are very convenient keto snacks to fix your sweet tooth without maxing out your carb count.
You can make many mug cake flavors like my keto peanut butter mug cake or keto chocolate mug cake.
All keto mug cake recipes are keto-friendly. It means that their nutrition information is high in fat, contains fewer net carbs, and has no sugar.
Is pumpkin keto?
Yes, pumpkin is a keto-friendly vegetable with only 4 grams of net carbs per 100 grams and 5 grams of fiber. It’s a great vegetable to make keto recipes.
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
How to make a keto pumpkin mug cake?
Mug cake ingredients
This keto low-carb pumpkin mug cake is made of less than 10 wholesome ingredients. All you need to make this single-serve dessert are:
- Pumpkin puree – use canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling! Learn how to make your own pumpkin puree.
- Erythritol – for sweetness or xylitol or liquid stevia drops.
- Pumpkin spices – or combine cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. See the recipe card for the exact amount.
- Egg – this recipe doesn’t work with flax eggs or egg replacers. You must use an egg.
- Baking powder – for a fluffy cake.
- Coconut oil – or melted butter for a denser buttery pumpkin pie mug cake.
- Almond flour – this is a gluten-free pumpkin mug cake using a combination of two gluten-free keto flours, don’t swap one for another, or the cake texture would not be good.
- Coconut flour – don’t replace coconut flour with almond flour. These flours are very different and can’t be substituted for each other. The combination of flours creates the perfect moist and fluffy texture. More coconut flour will dry out the cake.
- Vanilla extract
Preparing the mug cake batter
This healthy pumpkin mug cake can be made directly into your mug or into a mixing bowl. Start by combining the wet ingredients, then stir in flour and spices.
Cooking time and tips
Keto mug cake recipes are not difficult to bake in the microwave, but it requires a few tips before you start.
- Use a tall microwave-safe mug
At least 6.5 cm height (2.5 inch) and 8.5 cm width (3.4 inch). This is about 1 1/2 cup (400ml) coffee mug. That’s the perfect size to make the best keto pumpkin mug cake that fits the mug stays moist, and bakes evenly.
2. Check the microwave power
Set the microwave on 800W. This is the standard temperature for a 90-second keto mug cake. If your microwave only has a power of 600W, it will take longer to bake. Start with 90 seconds, then add 10-second bursts until the center is fully set, not runny or moist.
3. Cool down
Always wait 1 or 2 minutes before decorating your mug cake with cream. This prevents the whipped cream from melting.
This pumpkin keto mug cake is even better with some toppings. The best fall keto toppings for your mug cake are:
- Unsweetened whipped cream – or dairy-free coconut yogurt if dairy-free for a paleo pumpkin mug cake.
- Ground cinnamon – add a pinch of cinnamon on top of your hot cake!
- Chocolate chips – add 1 tablespoon of sugar-free chocolate chips on top of the cake or in the batter.
- Toasted nuts – pecans, almonds, or peanuts.
- Sugar-free maple syrup
Unfortunately, mug cakes don’t store very well because they are baked in the microwave, which is a fast cooking method. Consequently, the food dries fast, and if you don’t eat your microwaved pumpkin mug cake without 30 minutes, it tastes dry.
However, it is totally possible to make ahead this mug cake batter for a quick and easy keto fall breakfast.
Simply prepare the batter the night before and store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
The next day, microwave as instructed in the recipe below. You may have to microwave the mug cake a little bit longer since it’s cold and straight out from the fridge.
Simply add 10 seconds burst until the cake is set and cooked through.
More keto pumpkin recipes
I have plenty of easy, tasty keto pumpkin recipes for you to try.
More Keto Mug Cakes
Made this keto pumpkin mug cake recipe? Don’t forget to share a review below or a picture on Instagram! I love to see your creations and hear back from you.
Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- 1 large Egg at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree NOT pumpkin pie filling, - scooped, packed, leveled up
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil or melted butter or avocado oil - NOT hot to avoid 'cooking egg
- 3 tablespoons Almond Flour scooped, packed, leveled up
- ½ tablespoon Coconut Flour scooped, packed, leveled up
- 1 ½ tablespoon Erythritol
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Ginger
Toppings suggestions - optional
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Pecans
- 1 teaspoon Sugar-free Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Whipped Cream or coconut yogurt if dairy-free
- In a medium-size bowl whisk the egg with the pumpkin puree, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in almond flour, coconut flour, erythritol, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Transfer the batter to a tall microwave-safe coffee mug, its minimum size must be 500ml, 2 cups to prevent the mug cake from overflowing.
- Microwave at 900W for 90 seconds or until the cake rises out of the mug and the middle is set. It is a moist mug cake so it may have a small area in the center that stays a bit wet but not under-cooked!
- If the cake is still too wet in the center, return to the microwave by 15-second bursts until baked to your liking.
- Wait for 1 minute before adding unsweetened whipped cream on top of the mug, chopped pecan, and a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup.
Oven baking method
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 2-cups / 500-ml oven-proof ramekin with butter or coconut oil.
- Pour the cake batter in the ramekin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until set in the center.
- A mug cake bake in the microwave must be eaten within 1 hour or the texture dries and hardens.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.