This Keto Lemon Mug Cake is the most delicious almond flour mug cake to snack on the keto diet. An easy 5-ingredient mug cake with a tangy lemon flavor and only 7 grams of net carbs.
You know how much I love lemon keto recipes, especially lemon cakes. I recently shared with you my keto lemon pound cake recipe, and you requested a smaller size recipe. Say hello to my keto lemon mug cake!
What ingredients in a Keto lemon mug cake – an almond flour mug cake
This keto lemon mug cake is the easiest recipe to share with your loved one and is made with only 5 ingredients. Let’s see what you need to create this simple moist, spongy lemon cake.
- Almond flour is an amazing keto flour that creates moist, spongy cakes. If you have a nut allergy, you can replace almond flour with sunflower seed flour.
- Egg – this recipe can’t be made egg-free.
- Baking powder – or half amount of baking soda.
- Lemon juice – I used fresh lemon juice.
- Sugar-free crystal sweetener – I love Monk fruit crystal or erythritol but feel free to use xylitol, all with the same ratio. Read my review of keto-friendly sweeteners to find the best ones!
- Lemon zest – this is optional, of course, but flavorsome and won’t add carbs. I grated some zest from my homegrown lemon. Make sure you use untreated lemon before adding zest to your recipe.
How to cook keto mug cakes?
Mug cakes are usually baked for 90 seconds in the microwave. You must use the high power (800W) of your microwave for perfect baking results. If you don’t have a microwave, mug cakes can be baked in a small ramekin in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350F) and bake our mug cake for 12-15 minutes. You know it is cooked when a pick inserted in the center of the mug cake comes out clean or with few to no crumbs on it.
Keto lemon cake serving ideas
Keto lemon mug cake is delicious on its own or topped up with unsweetened coconut yogurt. It’s also delicious, served with a cup of my bulletproof coffee for breakfast.
Coconut yogurt is made of only 2 ingredients: coconut cream and probiotics. It is a delicious dairy-free keto yogurt, and I love the combo of lemon and coconut.
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
Otherwise, use unsweetened whipped cream or Greek yogurt.
How to decrease the carbs per serving?
This recipe is for one large mug cake or 2 small mug cakes as in the picture. One large mug cake, the whole recipe, contains 7.4 grams of net carbs.
To decrease the carbs, split the recipe in half and store the other half in the fridge for 24 hours in a sealed mug, or share with a friend!
More keto mug cakes
If you love easy keto mug cakes as I do, you may want to try the other mug cake recipes below:
Don’t forget to leave me a comment below if you made this recipe and save it on Pinterest for later!
Keto Lemon Mug Cake
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest - use organic untreated lemon
- 2 tablespoons Blueberries -fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Cream or heavy whipped cream
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg, almond flour, baking powder, sugar-free crystal sweetener, and lemon juice to form a consistent cake batter.
- Add in some optional ingredients now, if desired, like lemon zest or blueberries - fresh or frozen.
- Transfer the batter into a tall microwave-safe mug. Your mug cake is going to rise and double in height so make sure the mug you use is high enough to prevent the mug cake batter from overflowing in the microwave. Don't microwave into 2 mugs or it will impact the microwaving time consequently. Bake all at once and share!
- Microwave on high power (800W) for 90 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and cool for 2 minutes before eating and adding any toppings.
- Enjoy directly into the mug or unmold on a plate and half the recipe to share!
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
- Place the batter into a medium-size oven ramekin or 2 small ramekins.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Make sure you check the baking process after 8 minutes and every 2 minutes. Use a skewer that you insert in the center of the mug cake. It is baked when it comes out with no (or very little) crumb on it. Note that if you are using smaller ramekins and half the batter in two ramekins the cakes cook faster between 8-12 minutes.
- Microwave baked cakes don't store well, no more than 30 minutes to 1 hour. After that, the texture dries out really fast and you will lose the spongy cake texture. I recommend baking the mug cake if you intend to store it for 2-3 days at room temperature.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.