Keto Zucchini Fritters
Keto zucchini fritters are easy cheesy, crispy patties made of cheese, eggs, and grated zucchini. They are a delicious light keto dinner or side dish.
Bonus, these zucchini fritters that are very similar to pancakes are also gluten-free and ready in 20 minutes so keep reading to learn more!
Are Zucchini Fritters Keto?
Yes! In fact, not only are zucchini fritters low-carb, but they are perfectly keto-friendly with as low as 2.7 grams of net carbs per serving!
How To Make Keto Zucchini Fritters
This easy zucchini fritters recipe is crispy, delicious, and ready in 20 minutes using only a few wholesome ingredients.
Let me explain what you need and how you can adapt this recipe, just in case there are a few ingredients you are missing to make these low carb zucchini fritters:
- Grated zucchini – the key to making crispy zucchini fritters is to use drained, pat-dried grated zucchini to extract all their juice. The less zucchini water you leave, the crispier these keto zucchini fritters will be. You can also use this recipe with other keto vegetables like spaghetti squash.
- Eggs – the recipe doesn’t work without eggs, you need large eggs to make crispy zucchini fritters.
- Grated cheese – I tested a lot of different cheeses. The best is a combo of hard shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese. Mozzarella adds the best chewy texture to those zucchini fritters, but it is not very flavorsome. That is why I recommend using half mozzarella and half strong flavor cheese like Parmesan, old cheddar, or french Emmental.
- Almond flour – or the same amount of sunflower seed flour for a nut-free fritter recipe. Learn how to choose the best keto flour.
- Whole/ground psyllium husk – you can use either whole or ground psyllium husk in this recipe. This is the magic ingredient to make the best crispy fritters. In fact, the husk is mostly made of fiber, and it absorbs all the water that the zucchini will release after being in contact with salt.
- Parsley – fresh parsley adds a delicious Italian flavor to these fritters. It is optional but highly recommended.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian herbs
- Avocado oil or coconut oil to fry these keto fritters. The key is to use an oil with a high smoke point to avoid burning the oil.
This keto zucchini fritters recipe is not only gluten-free, low carb, and keto, it is also vegetarian!
Preparing the zucchini
However, zucchini is 95% made of water, and therefore, they can release a lot of liquid into your dish if you don’t prepare them well. This would ruin your keto fritters!
Let me explain the 4 simple steps to follow to make crispy zucchini fritters that are not watery.
Grating the zucchini
First, choose firm, fresh zucchini, green or yellow squash are perfect. For this recipe, you need about 2 small zucchinis or 1 large one.
Then, grate the zucchini as finely as you can. You can use a food processor with the thinnest grater attachment or a hand grater.
Drain the zucchini in a towel
That is the most important step to creating crispy fritters. There are many techniques to drain a zucchini. Some people like to press the grated zucchinis in a sieve or simply squeeze them with their hands.
But let me tell you something, this is not enough to extract all of the 95% of water in the zucchinis.
The best method, the one that results in crispy fritters, is the towel method. Place the zucchini in the center of a clean towel. Then, gather the four corners of the towel with one hand and hold the zucchinis with the other hand.
Turn and squeeze as hard as you can, placing a bowl under the towel to gather all the liquid. You can discard the liquid or reuse it as vegetable broth.
Measure the zucchini
Always measure the zucchini after squeezing all the water out. You can pack the grated zucchini into a measuring cup or weigh it with a scale.
Shape and fry the patties
On a keto diet, we like to know exactly how many carbs each keto zucchini pancake contains. The best way to make even patties is to scoop the batter using a measuring cup.
One zucchini fritter uses 1/4 cup of fritter batter and contains 2.7g net carb.
First, scoop the batter with the measuring cup. Then, transfer the batter into your hands and shape a lovely round patty. It would not be thin at this point. That is fine.
Drop the patty into the hot oil. After 1 minute, start to gently flatten the fritter with a spatula.
Finally, when the sides of the fritters are dry and set, flip the fritter with a spatula.
Keep pressing the fritter with the spatula to flatten them into a thin disc of 0.5 mm (0.02 inches).
Tip: 6 Essential Steps For Crispiness
There are 6 necessary steps that make these zucchini pancakes crispy:
- Drain the vegetable before adding it to the batter.
- Add flour into the batter to absorb excess water released by the vegetable. For keto low-carb fritters, any keto flour can be used, like almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium husk, or a combination of them.
- Fry in hot, high smoke point oil using a non-stick frying pan. Surprisingly, olive oil is not the best to fry food. Avocado oil and coconut oil have a higher smoke point.
- Fry only 2 or 3 fritters at a time – too much batter added at once decreases the oil temperature quickly. As a result, the fritters soak the oil and will not fry instantly.
- Press the fritter many times while frying – a thick fritter stays very moist and watery. Press it to make it crisp.
- Drain the fried fritters into paper towels – removing the frying oil on the surface of the fritters is a quick and easy way to prevent the fritters from softening after frying.
Serving The Fritters
Keto zucchini fritters can be served as a side dish to grilled meat, fried eggs, or as a light dinner with some delicious toppings like:
- A dollop of sour cream or coconut yogurt for a dairy-free option.
- Mashed avocado
- Hot sauce
- Homemade Ketchup
Any fritters leftover can be frozen in an airtight container or stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can rewarm the zucchini fritters in a sandwich press, hot non-stick frying pan, or oven at 350°F (180°C) on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Bake Fritters?
Yes, you can bake fritters on a baking tray covered with lightly greased parchment paper.
But be aware that this recipe would not be crispy if baked, and I do not recommend baking them for a crispy fritter.
If you really want to try this option, bake your fritters at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes. Flip them and bake them for 15 more minutes.
Can I Make Zucchini Fritters In The Air Fryer?
Yes, you can bake your zucchini fritters in your air fryer. Place them in your air fryer basket and cook them for 25 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Have you made these zucchini fritters yet? Share a picture with me on Instagram!
Did You Like This Recipe?
Keto Zucchini Fritters
Preparation:Under 30 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.