Low Carb Hot chocolate: easy morning drink
Mornings are getting colder in New Zealand. It is almost Autumn season, I am slowing down on caffeine and this low carb hot chocolate is the best swap to my keto bulletproof latte. I am a chocolate lover so this low carb hot chocolate is a delicious hot drink to replace my morning latte. You have been a lot to request a sugar free hot chocolate recipe, so time to share my vision of a creamy dairy free hot chocolate.
Easy 4 ingredients recipe
It is a very simple recipe made with only 4 ingredients. Those are my favorite ingredients:
- Unsweetened almond milk – no surprise it is the key ingredients of a delicious low carb hot chocolate. I love to use Almond breeze range, unsweetened vanilla Almond milk or unsweetened, both has no carbs, few calories and no sugar added.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sugar free chocolate bars or chips – yes, you need some chocolate to add a creamy rich texture to your hot chocolate. I love to use Lilly’s sugar free chocolate chips as it is sweetened with stevia. You can also use any sugar free dark chocolate bars or 90% dark chocolate if preferred.
- Sugar free crystal sweetener – I love to use erythritol but a pinch of stevia will work well too
What is the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate?
Pretty simple, hot cocoa as the name tells you, is a light, thin hot beverage made from cocoa powder, sweetener and milk. On the opposite, an hot chocolate is higher in fat, which is great on low carb diet, as it contains chocolate that gives a creamy rich texture to your drink. In this recipe I am using sugar free stevia sweetened chocolate. It contains no sugar and a good amount of fat that add a delicious velvety texture to the drink.
Serve with whipped coconut cream
Of course you can serve your hot chocolate plain, with no toppings. It will be light and delicious. But my advice, for a rich comforting drink, add a dollop of whipped coconut cream on top of my hot chocolate. I am using canned coconut cream to keep my drink dairy free. I scoop out the cream from the can, whip the cream in a cold mixing bowl with an electric whisk and sweetened with stevia drops.You can also use regular whipped cream. The must is to add chopped sugar free dark chocolate on top. Make sure you combine the toppings with the drinks to boost the creamy flavor of the drink.
WATCH THE RECIPE VIDEO AND MAKE IT NOW !
Low carb hot chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cocoa nibs or sugar free shaved chocolate
- 1 tablespoon whipped coconut cream or heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a small saucepan, under medium heat, simmer unsweetened almond milk for 1-2 minutes.
- When the milk is hot, remove from heat, whisk in cocoa powder, sugar free sweetener, chocolate chips and cinnamon if used.
- Serve immediately with whipped coconut cream or heavy cream on top and shaved chocolate (or cocoa nibs).
This recipe is sponsored by Almond Breeze Made from the best California Almonds and I received a compensation to develop this recipe but note that I only recommend product I love and trust on this blog. Thank you.