Ok guys, let’s face it we ALL love chips right? Who don’t ! As you know, in my house we love finger food nights during the week end. It makes dinner so much fun to be all around the small table sharing finger food. The kids are always asking for tortillas chips to dip in my simple avocado dip.
I found very good healthy brand in the supermarket but well, the store-bought low carb chips are SUPER EXPENSIVE ! And the corn chips are high in carbs, mostly fried and high fat too. So that is how I came up with the desire to make my own low carb tortillas chips.
Most people buy low carb tortillas wraps that they cut into tortillas chips and bake them. Pretty easy I know. But I really wanted to make SUPERFOOD low carb tortillas chips with simple natural ingredients. Those one are definitely the BEST wholesome tortillas on earth, and guess what? You only need 5 ingredients to make those.
Low Carb Tortillas Chips – quick and easy SUPERFOOD Chips
All you need are 4 main ingredients – plus water !
- Almond meal – also called almond flour or ground almond – all are the same. I used blanched almond meal but unblanched almond meal will work well too. The color only will differ.
- Chia seeds – I used black chia seeds but use the one you have on hands
- Spices of your choice – Play with the spices and create TONS of low carb tortillas chips flavors! I love to combine ground cumin, garlic powder and nutrition yeast – this gives a cheesy flavor while adding lots of vitamins B1 and B2. . Other great idea are smoked paprika, paprika, dried rosemary, curry powder or even turmeric!
- Olive oil – I also tried the recipe with different healthy oils like avocado oil, almond oil and hazelnut oil It is a great way to give a different flavor to the chips.
How to make homemade baked tortillas chips that crisp ?
1- The thinner the better -follow my technique below – I roll my dough between two pieces of parchment paper – this is A MUST pressing the roller pin really well to make the dough super fine. Using parchment paper is not optional. It avoid the dough to stick to the roller pin, it makes dough super thin and the transfer of the chips on the baking chips is easier – all you need to do is to lift the piece of parchment paper onto the baking sheet. No need to move the rolled dough !!!
2- Baking at hot oven and checking every minutes – usually thin tortillas chips are all cooked through after 6 minutes BUT depending on how thin they are they may required 1 extra minute. I always check the color of my tortillas chips every minutes after 6 minutes of baking. Most of the time they are cooked after 6 minutes, but well, sometimes I roll my chips a bit thicker and it will take up to 8 minutes. The color is your indicator. If it is golden brown it is ready !
3- Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet– this add extra crisp ! don’t skip this step.
This recipe makes 30 low carb tortillas chips. Nutrition panel is for one tortilla chips. I would recommend 10 chips as one serve. The flavor is delicious, slightly nutty because of the almond meal but I love it.
Watch the low carb tortillas chips video and make them now!
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY CRISPY KETO CHIPS ? TRY MY FLAX
Low Carb tortillas chips
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390F)
- In a small bowl add the chia seeds and water. Stir with a spoon to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes or until a gel-like texture form.
- In another large mixing bowl, add almond meal, olive oil, spices and the chia seed gel created before.
- Knead dough by hands, squeezing the mixing between your finger to incorporate the chia gel into the almond meal, until it forms a dough. It shouldn't take more than 1 minute to form a dough ball.
- Place the dough ball between two pieces of parchment paper, and rool out with a rolling pin as thinly as possible.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper, cut out tortillas chips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. To make triangle chips (tortillas shapes), simply place a round shape on top of the rolled dough. Cut around the lid, remove the dough outside of the lid - keep it for later to roll again and make more chips! You should end up with a circle of rolled dough. Then, using the pizza cutter cut triangle as you will cut a round cake.
- Move the dough with parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes, check the color and stop baking as soon as you reach a golden brown color. For very thin chips it took 6-7 minutes. For thicker chips it could take up to 8-9 minutes. I recommend you to bake for 6 minutes then check every 1 minute to avoid the chips to burn.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet
- Use a flat tool like a knife or small spatula to remove/lift the tortillas chips from the parchment paper.
- Serve with my simple avocado dip recipe or dip of your choice.