Sweet potato tots is the tastiest way to sneak some extra vegetables into your diet!
Now say hello to those cheesy sweet potato tots!
Sweet potato tots or Kumara tots for Kiwis!
Well, we don’t eat finger food every night but during the week end I mostly serve only finger food on my table. The past 3 years I developed so much healthy finger food recipes that I also have a way to turn a veggie into a fun appetizer. From Kale Pizza Crust to Spinach balls or those sweet potato tots ANY vegetables found it is place on my party table and I LOVE IT!
SO more about those little sweet potato bites. Where to start ? Pretty easy simple prepare mashed sweet potato first. I love to baked my sweet potatoes because it had some nutty flavor to the flesh that you don’t have when you boil them. Also it keeps the mash ‘dryer’ and easier to use in this recipe. Oh! and simple tip here :always pick some hole all around your sweet potatoes because baking them to release the extra moisture.
It is also better to wait a while before you extract the sweet potato flesh from their skin cause trust me, I burnt myself many times during this process and it hurts !!! 🙂 HAHA I am always hungry and can’t wait much when I am cooking and I burn myself very often in the kitchen.
Then it is a pretty simple recipe. All you have to do is to combine some egg yolk, cheese, herbs and spices of your choice – I used garlic, onion and coriander plus some healthy bread crumb to bind the all ingredients. I choose to use classic gluten free bread crumb for this recipe. I used Bakeworks Gluten free bread crumbs in New Zealand because I love the nourishing flour it contains like millet, buckwheat, linseed and psyllium husk. It is probably the best bread crumb I ever used in long time and I am very happy with it in any recipes I develop.
I recommend to simply use your hands to shape the sweet potato tots – much more easier than any tools and if it is a bit sticky simply rub your hands with a tiny bit of vegetable oil before you starts. Look at this lovely orange color! And this is the lovely results after you bake them. Some crispy and cheesy sweet potato bites. You can clearly see the cheesy bites bursting out each sweet potato tots – that is where the crispiness comes from. The center is moist and smooth with a delicious sweet garlic flavor.
WATCH THE SWEET POTATO RECIPE VIDEO (VEGAN OPTION !!!) AND MAKE THEM NOW !
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY …
Sweet potato tots
- 1 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes about 3 medium size sweet potatoes (420 g mashed sweet potatoes)
- 1 egg yolk or 1 tablespoon flaxseed in 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup grated cheese I used vegan cheedar cheese
- 1 small brown onion finely grated
- 1 garlic glove crushed
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumb I used bake works in NZ
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or fresh herb of your choice like basil, parsley or dill (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C (392 F)
- On a baking tray, place the sweet potatoes. Use a fork to pick holes all over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewers easily goes through the sweet potatoes.
- Remove from the oven and cool down 10 minutes before handling them.
- Carefully slice the sweet potatoes half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the flesh. Discard the skin.
- Place the sweet potato flesh in a large mixing bowl. Cool down until it reach room temperature before you combine with the other ingredients.
- Add egg yolk, grated cheddar, grated onion, crushed garlic, breadcrumb, fresh herbs and salt.
- Combine with a spoon until it forms a mash that you can easily handle with your hands to shape small tots.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Use your hands to shape the sweet potato tots and place them on the tray leaving half thumb space between each tots.
- Bake at 200 C (392 F) for 20 - 30 minutes or until the outside is crispy and slightly golden brown. The center will stay soft and moist.
- Serve with extra dipping sauce like ketchup or guacamole for an healthier choice.