Sweet potato tots are the tastiest way to sneak some extra vegetables into your diet!Well, these cheesy sweet potato tots will quickly become one of your next favorite appetizers!
Trust me. These simple vegetable bites will seduce all your friends and even the kids! I have a huge passion for healthy finger food.
Now say hello to those cheesy sweet potato tots!
Sweet potato tots or Kumara tots for Kiwis!
Well, we don’t eat finger food every night but during the weekend I mostly serve only finger food on my table.
In the past 3 years, I developed so many healthy finger food recipes that I also have a way to turn a veggie into a fun appetizer. From Kale Pizza Crust to Spinach balls or those sweet potato tots, any vegetables found is placed on my party table, and I LOVE IT!
So more about those little sweet potato bites. Where to start?
Pretty easy, prepare mashed sweet potato first. I love to baked my sweet potatoes because they had some nutty flavor to the flesh that you don’t have when you boil them.
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
Also, it keeps the mash ‘dryer’ and easier to use in this recipe. Oh! And simple tip here: always pick some holes all around your sweet potatoes because baking them releases the extra moisture.
It is also better to wait a while before you extract the sweet potato flesh from their skin because, trust me, I burnt myself many times during this process, and it hurts.
I am always hungry and can’t wait much when I am cooking, and I burn myself very often in the kitchen.
Then it is a pretty simple recipe. All you have to do is to combine some egg yolk, cheese, herbs, and spices of your choice – I used garlic, onion, and coriander, plus some healthy bread crumbs to bind all the ingredients.
I choose to use classic gluten-free bread crumbs for this recipe. I used Bakeworks Gluten-free bread crumbs in New Zealand because I love the nourishing flour it contains like millet, buckwheat, linseed, and psyllium husk.
It is probably the best bread crumb I ever used in a long time, and I am very happy with it in any recipe I develop.
I recommend simply using your hands to shape the sweet potato tots – much easier than any tools, and if it is a bit sticky, simply rub your hands with a tiny bit of vegetable oil before you start.
Look at this lovely orange color! And this is the lovely result after you bake them: some crispy and cheesy sweet potato bites.
You can clearly see the cheesy bites bursting out each sweet potato tots – that is where the crispiness comes from. The center is moist and smooth with a delicious sweet garlic flavor.
You can make these ahead, of course, and froze them before or after you bake them. I personally always freeze my tots before baking and bake them frozen until hot and crispy. Enjoy this recipe, and see you soon on the blog!
More healthy bite-size recipes
You may also want to try my other finger food recipes below
Sweet Potato Tots
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- 1 ¾ cup Mashed Sweet Potatoes about 3 medium size sweet potatoes (420 g mashed sweet potatoes)
- 1 Egg Yolk or 1 tablespoon flaxseed in 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup Grated Cheese I used vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 Onion finely grated
- 3 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 cup low carb breadcrumb or breadcrumb of your choice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F)
- On a baking tray, place the sweet potatoes. Use a fork to pick holes all over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer easily goes through the sweet potatoes.
- Remove from the oven and cool down for 10 minutes before handling them.
- Carefully slice the sweet potatoes half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the flesh. Discard the skin.
- Place the sweet potato flesh in a large mixing bowl. Cool down until it reaches room temperature before you combine it with the other ingredients.
- Add egg yolk, grated cheddar, grated onion, crushed garlic, breadcrumb, fresh herbs, and salt.
- Combine with a spoon until it forms a mash that you can easily handle with your hands to shape small tots.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Use your hands to shape the sweet potato tots and place them on the tray leaving half a thumb of space between each tot.
- Bake at 200°C (390°F) for 20 - 30 minutes or until the outside is crispy and slightly golden brown. The center will stay soft and moist.
- Serve with extra dipping sauce like ketchup or guacamole for a healthier choice.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.