This keto crustless taco pie is the easiest keto dinner for Mexican food lovers. With only 1.8 grams of net carbs per serving, this fulfilling meal is also easy to rewarm the next day for a quick keto breakfast.
How to make keto taco pie?
A keto taco pie is a crustless beef pie with all the flavors of your favorite taco recipe. Let’s see all the simple ingredients you need to make this taco pie keto recipe at home.
- Ground beef – you can also use ground turkey or ground chicken if you prefer. However, beef is a great meat to keep your balance of protein and fat intake high on a keto diet.
- Coconut oil or olive oil – to fry the beef.
- Taco seasoning – I am using my own keto taco seasoning recipe to flavor this low-carb taco pie. It’s the best way to avoid added sugar or preservatives from store-bought seasoning mix. Plus, my taco seasoning mix stores for months, so you can reuse this in any other keto Mexican recipe.
- Green chili – if you don’t like your food too spicy, skip the chili.
- Large eggs – Eggs are keto-friendly ingredients with less than 1 gram of net carbs!
- Salsa sauce – look for salsa sauce with no added sugar.
- Heavy cream
- Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
To watch this recipe a different way, check out my web story: making the keto taco pie!
Fry the meat with spices
First, warm olive oil or coconut in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook onion until fragrant, then stir in ground beef and use a spatula to break down the meat into tiny pieces.
Fry the beef until cook evenly, and no more red spots can be seen. Finally, add in taco seasoning and chopped green chili, stir and cook for 1 minute to flavor the meat.
Drain meat and fill the dishpan
First, make sure you grease a deep 9-inch round dishpan with coconut oil. Then, use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked meat from the frying pan to the dishpan.
Don’t add any meat juice, or the pie will be runny. Set aside the pan while you prepare the egg mixture.
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
Salsa egg mixture
Now, beat the eggs in a large bowl along with salsa sauce, heavy cream. Then, stir in half of the shredded cheese.
Assemble the pie
Finally, pour the egg mixture over the cooked meat in the dishpan. I like to use a spoon to give a gentle stir. This prevents the egg mixture from cooking on the top and having all the meat at the bottom. Add the remaining shredded cheeses on top of the dish.
Bake until set
Bake for 30 minutes at 350F (180C). You know the pie is ready when it is firm on top and sides.
Cool down in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
How to serve your keto taco pie recipe?
There are many low-carb Mexican toppings you can add on top of your pie. Remember to always add toppings kist before serving, or fresh herbs can wilt and cream spread.
If you plan to serve this healthy taco pie for a family dinner and you are sure that the entire dish will be eaten, add the toppings on top of the whole pie. It looks stunning, and all the family will be impressed.
However, note that if your taco keto pie is too hot, dairy topping like sour cream will spread and melt, so it might be better to add them to individual slices. The best keto toppings that your keto friends will love with this recipe are:
- Sour cream – as said above, if the pie is too hot, sour cream spreads and melts, so add this to a lukewarm pie.
- Diced ripe avocado
- Sliced of fresh chili
- Fresh cilantro
- Diced red onion
What sides can I serve with taco pies?
The best healthy and low carb sides to these crustless taco pies are mostly keto vegetables like:
- Shredded lettuce
- Cauliflower Rice
- Baby spinach leaves
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Steamed broccoli
- Sliced cucumbers
- Roasted green beans
- Keto nacho chips – my keto nacho chip recipe use only 5 ingredients and make a delicious crunchy side to this recipe.
Can I double up the recipe?
Yes, you can make a taco casserole using this recipe. Double the recipe and bake in a 9-inch x 13-inch rectangular baking dish. It will take a very similar time to bake as the thickness is very similar.
How to rewarm this easy taco pie?
You can rewarm this keto easy taco pie recipe, without toppings, in the microwave or under the stove on medium heat. Rewarm until piping hot, and then add the toppings.
More keto ground beef recipes
If you love easy keto beef recipes, you may want to try some of my other recipes below:
Have you made this low-carb keto crustless pie? Share a comment below or review. I love to read your feedback about my recipes.
Keto Taco Pie
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
Optional - add only if your seasoning is unsalted
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180°C). Grease a 9-inch round deep pie dish with butter. Set aside.
- Warm coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in ground beef, breaking it apart into tiny pieces to evenly cook the meat on all sides.
- When the beef is cooked - the meat is not red - stir in diced chili and taco seasonings. Keep cooking for 1 minute, constantly stirring to flavor the meat. Taste the meat and add salt if needed.
- Remove the frying pan from heat, and using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked meat into the prepared deep dish pan. Make sure you drain the meat well with the spoon to avoid adding meat juice that can make the pie wet. Set the pie pan aside while preparing the egg mixture.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat eggs with salsa sauce and heavy cream. Stir in half the shredded cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into the deep dish pan, over the cooked meat, and gently stir with a spoon to combine and avoid the egg mixture to stay on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top of the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pie is set.
- Cool down 10 minutes before slicing into 8 even slices.
How to serve the taco pie?
- Add the toppings on the entire pie only if the whole pie will be eaten all at once - toppings don't rewarm well. Otherwise, add the toppings per slice just before eating.
- Best keto toppings to add are a dollop of sour cream, diced avocado slices, extra slices of chilies, fresh cilantro. Serve with shredded lettuce on the side with a drizzle of olive oil on it.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.