Coconut flour crepes – Low carb Sugar Free Dessert
There is no secret about this : I am addicted to crepes and low carb bread recipe, you know it ! Well, I am French and eating crepes every week is part of my culture. I love having crepes or dessert , to fix my sweet tooth without blowing my carbs level. Usually, I go for my low carb almond flour crepes but today I want something different. I am a coconut flour lover so I give a try to coconut flour crepes. I saw many good recipes online to inspire from but I choose to develop my own adding few tweaks and make those more close to the Authentic French Crepes recipes I had as a kid.
All you need to make those coconut flour crepes is prety basic, 6-ingredients:
- Coconut flour
- Almond meal – also known as ground almond or almond flour – don’t be tempted to replace by more coconut flour it won’t create the same fluffy light crepes! Coconut flour is very liquid absorbent and if don’t respect the ratio it will end up dry and crumbly.
- Canned Coconut cream – the thick one from the can, don’t skip this ingredients trust me, it makes the texture SO much better
- Unsweetened almond milk – or water but honnestly almond milk add an delicious texture too without the carbs so go for it!
- Vanilla extract – optional if you want to use those crepes for a savory breakfast, add herbs and salt instead
Coconut flour – low carb dream flour
Coconut flour is one of my favorite low carb flour. It is not the easiest to bake with at first, because it is highly liquid absorbent and you have to balance this with lots of eggs, milk or another flour to create the perfect results. I had lots of success baking with coconut flour like in my low carb chocolate mug cake or low carb coconut flour porridge.
So if you are on a low carb diet right now and craving a delicious guilt-free sweet dessert my sugar free coconut flour crepes are the one you need! I stuffed my crepes with almond butter, a bit of sugar free crystal sweetener – erythritol works for me and fresh raspberries. It was very tasty, the texture of the coconut crepes is light, fluffy and similar to the french crepes I used to eat before. Enjoy the treat and see you soon on the blog!
Watch the Coconut Flour Crepes recipe video and make them now !
Coconut flour crepes
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients in this order: eggs, melted coconut oil, almond milk, coconut cream, vanilla extract, coconut flour and almond meal
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat until a smooth batter form with no lumps. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the coconut flour to soak the liquid and thicken the batter slightly.
- Heat a lightly oil mini egg pan over medium/high heat. I used coconut oil that I rub on the pan with a piece of absorbent paper. My pan is a mini non stick egg pan size 4.7 inches (12 cm). I recommend a small saucepan of this size to make perfect crepes that won't break.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the crepe batter onto the pan, then tip and rotate the pan gently to spread batter as thinly as possible. Brown on one side first, cook 2-3 minutes until the sides are crispy and un stick easily from the pan. The center should be set and dry before you flip over to avoid the crepe to break.
- Brown on other sides about 1-2 minutes and serve hot with your favorite fillings - see recipe note for inspiration.