Keto bread rolls – NO eggs
Don’t get me wrong here, I love my eggs but I don’t think eggs should be part of bread making. Eggs always add too much moisture or eggy flavor to bread and I simply don’t like it. That is why I make all my keto wraps with no eggs like my keto coconut flour flatbread or keto flaxseed wraps. Avoiding eggs in keto bread make it more real.
It real taste closer to bread without the carbs. So those simple keto bread rolls are made of :
- Almond flour or almond meal as you like, both works
- Coconut flour
- Psyllium husk – I am using ground psyllium husk, it is what add a chewy/bready texture to low carb bread. It is 100% fibre so there is no carbs in this
- Apple cider vinegar – as there is no gluten in this recipe the combination of vinegar and baking powder give a little raise to those keto bread rolls
- Baking powder or baking soda – use half if you swap for baking soda
- Salt – optional but I love to add a bit of salt in my bread
- Olive oil or vegetable oil you like
- Water – use hot water not boiling boiling, think bath temperature 37C-40C
How to enjoy your keto bread rolls?
There is plenty of options to enjoy those as part of your keto diet. I will ist you all my favorite way to enjoy those simple keto bread rolls.
- Breakfast : simply cut them halfway and spread some fresh salty butter or peanut butter. Delicious! My tip : toast them for extra crispiness, specially few days later as they get softer.
- Dinner: as a side to your favorite curry or to enjoy some creamy cheese like Camembert !
- Lunch: those are perfect to make small sandwich or even burgers. They are delicious filled with fresh avocado, mayonnaise and any meat or roasted vegetables.
How to store keto bread rolls ?
Those keto bread rolls store very well at room temperature or in the freezer.
- Pantry: store your bread wrapped in a clean towel for up to 6 days . The towel will keep them fresh, prevent the bread to harden. They will get softer with days but you can simply cut them halfway and toast before eating to add a little crisp. Otherwise, return to hot oven for 5-8 minutes at 180C (375F) if you really want the bread crust to be extra crispy.
- Freeze: feel free to double the recipe, bake the bread and freeze them for later. Defrost the day before on a plate at room temperature. Rewarm in your oven or in a toaster – cut halfway and toast them 1 minutes on high. I recommend to freeze them in Ziploc bags to avoid the bread texture to be changed.
Enjoy the keto bread rolls and tag me on Instagram with your creation if you make some yourself. I love to see what you are making home!
Watch the keto bread rolls video recipe and make them now !
Keto bread rolls NO EGGS ! 100% Vegan + Dairy free + Low Carb + Grain free. Delicious crispy bread rolls made of almond flour, coconut flour and psyllium husk.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds - optional
Preheat oven to 375F (180C) Lay a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients first : almond flour, coconut flour, ground psyllium husk, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
Add apple cider vinegar, olive oil and stir in the hot water. Combine for 1 minutes with a spatula, the water will absorb gradually, drying out the mixture to create the bread dough. It should stay a bit soft and sticky that is normal but you should be able to form a ball with your hand. If not add slightly more husk 1 teaspoon at a time. You want the ball to hold together, it is ok if it is moist. Don't add more than 1 tablespoon of husk.
Set aside 10 minutes to let the fibre absorbs the liquid . The dough should be elastic, soft and easy to divide into 6 small balls.
Roll each small balls between your hands and place them one by one on the baking tray. No need to leave more than half thumb between each bread as they won't expend while baking.
With a pastry brush, brush the top of each bread balls with a bit of tap water.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top f each bread - optional but delicious!
Bake 40-45 minutes at 180C (375F). I recommend you place the tray at the very BOTTOM of the oven for 30 minutes then swap to TOP level of the oven for 10-15 extra minutes. If you love your bread crusty turn onto grill mode for an extra 5 minutes after the 40-45 minutes baking time. Watch them closely to avoid the top to burn - if you use the grill method.
Fully cool down a cooling rack.
Slice halfway and enjoy as a bread roll with butter, ham or cheese.
Store in the pantry for 5-6 days. I wrap mine in a towel to keep them fresh and rewarm them sliced, in my toaster to add some crispiness. You can also freeze the bread and double the recipe to make more ahead.
Purple bread: note that some psyllium husk brand turns your baking into a purple-ish color. If it happens, it is still good to eat, simply use a different brand to avoid this next time.
Nutrition panel is for one keto bread roll. This recipe make 6 keto bread rolls. Net carbs 4.7 g per rolls.