Keto Cucumber Salad
This easy Keto Cucumber Salad recipe with creamy dill lemon dressing is perfect as a summer keto side dish to barbecue.
Plus, this low-carb cucumber salad keto recipe is gluten-free and contains a dairy-free, vegan option!
Is Cucumber Salad Keto?
While cucumber is a very low-carb keto-friendly vegetable, most cucumber salad recipes are not keto-friendly.
The issue with authentic cucumber salad with vinegar dressing is the amount of added sugar.
In fact, the vinegar dressing of a classic cucumber salad is made of one cup of vinegar with 1/2 cup of sugar!
That’s a tremendous amount of carbs added to your salad, and it’s basically like eating a teaspoon of sugar and not a salad!
How To Make Keto Cucumber Salad
Luckily, there is nothing easier than making a keto creamy cucumber salad at home, it’s a lower-carb version of my Cucumber Yogurt Salad.
Of course, you can also make a keto cucumber salad with vinegar dressing, but I prefer the creamy version, much more filling and rich.
To make this easy low-carb cucumber salad recipe, you need:
- English cucumbers – these are the best to make cucumber salad. At the store, they look like long, thin cucumbers often sold wrapped in plastic. They are the best for cucumber salad because they are seedless and have a sweet and mild flavor. You don’t have to scoop out the center of an English cucumber for salad, some people do, but another option to prevent the cucumber slices from diluting the recipe dressing with excess water is to pre-sweat them in salt!
- Salt – as mentioned before, it’s to remove the water from the cucumbers.
- Sour cream – you can also use plain Greek yogurt to lighten up the recipe or use dairy-free yogurt for a vegan keto salad. Sour cream is a keto-friendly dairy product.
- Mayonnaise- I used avocado oil mayonnaise as a healthy option. You can use egg-free mayonnaise if needed.
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh Dill
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – read how to squeeze lemon juice easily.
- Garlic clove
- Pepper – I like to use ground black pepper.
Preparing the cucumber
First, cut the ends of each English cucumber and discard them.
Should I peel the cucumber for the salad?
Now, the first question, should I peel a cucumber for a salad? Well, that absolutely depends on your taste buds.
For a crunchier salad, keep the skin on or half-peel the cucumbers. But for a softer, melt-in-your-mouth cucumber slice, peel off the cucumber entirely.
Another reason why some recipes peel off the cucumbers is that some people find the cucumber skin difficult to digest.
You can use a mandolin or a sharp knife to slice the cucumbers into thin 1/4-inch (2 mm) thick slices.
You can cut round slices or precut the cucumber halfway lengthwise and cut cucumber moons – half circles.
Sweating the cucumbers
Cucumber is made at 95% of water, and it tends to release water into salad or zucchini casserole recipes.
The result of this water is a runny salad dressing, it bogs down the salad, and it’s not as tasty.
So to avoid that, place the slices of cucumber in a bowl and toss with salt.
Set aside for 15 minutes until water drops appear on the surface of the cucumber slices.
Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber salad dressing.
Cucumber salad dressing
In a mixing bowl, whisk sour cream, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, erythritol, lemon juice, crushed garlic, pepper, and finely chopped fresh dill.
Assembling the cucumber salad
First, pat dry cucumber with an absorbent paper towel, then toss the salad with the sour cream dressing.
Refrigerate the salad for 1 hour before serving to enhance flavor.
Adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
Serving Cucumber Salad
There are many ways to serve this salad.
This cucumber salad with sour cream dressing is a delicious side dish to serve on a keto diet as a side to perfectly cooked grilled steak or seafood.
You can also serve it with chicken with some of these recipes:
- Creamy Spinach Chicken
- Cast-Iron Chicken Breast
- Tuscan Chicken Breast
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Tenders
- Almond Flour Chicken Tenders
It’s a pleasant summer salad for everyone, keto eaters or not, that is also gluten-free and perfect for summer BBQ gatherings.
You can also use this salad to make a keto vegetarian sandwich, served between two slices of keto bread.
One serving of keto cucumber salad contains 4.2 grams of net carbs.
Jump to the recipe card for the full nutrition panel of this keto salad recipe.
You can store your low carb cucumber salad for up to four days in the refrigerator.
One option to keep it perfectly is to store the sliced cucumber and the dressing in different containers.
I don’t recommend freezing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, cucumber is a low-carb vegetable. One serving of this cucumber salad brings just about 4 grams of net carbs.
You can add thinly sliced red onion to make a cucumber onion salad keto recipe. But watch out with red onion.
They are high in carbs, so don’t overdo it and keep the add-on to 1/4 -1/3 cup per salad.
Yes, you can add a few slices. It will slightly increase the number of carbs, but it’ll be delicious.
There’s no need for olive oil in this creamy cucumber salad.
A classic cucumber salad might contain up to 10 grams of net carbs per serving as they are often made with maple syrup.
This cucumber salad only contains 4 grams of carbs!
More Salad Recipes
Below I listed some other healthy salad recipes for you to try:
Have you made this creamy cucumber salad recipe? Share a comment or review below to let me know if you enjoy it!
Keto Cucumber Salad
Want My Kitchen Equipment?
- 2 English Cucumbers half peeled, finely sliced 1/4 inch slices – makes 2 cups
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Sour Cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup Fresh Dill finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crystal Sweetener
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Garlic Clove crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Peel the cucumbers entirely or partially, depending on your taste. The cucumber skin adds more texture but can also be difficult to digest. Discard the cucumber ends.
- Slice cucumber into skinny slices of 1/4 inches thickness. Sprinkle salt and toss to combine. Let the cucumber slices 'sweat' for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain liquids and pat dry slices with absorbent paper. Set aside in a salad bowl, in the fridge.
- In another bowl, whisk in the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing onto the cucumber slices and toss to combine evenly.
- Refrigerate the salad 1 hour before serving to blend the flavors.
- Store up to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
ToolsGetting Started What Is Keto? Macro Calculator Sweetener Converter Meal Plans Recipe Ebooks Intermittent Fasting Keto Fruits Keto Vegetables Keto Flours Fighting Keto Flu Healthy Sweeteners
Diet:Dairy-Free OptionEgg-FreeGluten-FreeHealthyKetoLow-CarbMediterranean DietVegan OptionVegetarian
Preparation:Under 30 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.
Share this post!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your close ones!
Leave a comment
What a great recipe…thank you! Reminds me of the cucumber salad my grandmother made…love it.
This was excellent!
Look grate! I will try to veganize it!