An easy keto French toast recipe to start the day with something sweet and bready and only 2.8 grams of net carbs per serving! Discover the endless varieties of keto French toast flavors and textures you can make!
What’s keto French toast?
Of course, you can’t have white bread on a keto diet, but it doesn’t mean that you have to give up on French toast! Not at all.
This keto French toast recipe is made of keto bread, eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar-free keto sweetener. It’s sweet, custardy on the inside with a buttery, crispy golden coating.
It brings you all the comfort, taste, and texture you expect from a French toast recipe without the carbs.
How to make keto French toasts?
It’s effortless to make keto French toasts. Let me share the simple steps to follow to make low-carb French toasts at home. First, pick your favorite keto bread!
Want to view this recipe in a different way? Check out my web story: making the Keto French Toasts.
Pick your favorite keto bread
What’s the best Keto French toast bread?
I tested all the keto bread possible, and I think the best taste and texture are achieved with one of these two bread recipes:
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
- Keto Egg Loaf
- Advantages: taste and texture. This keto French toast egg loaf recipe mimics the traditional French toast recipe perfectly! It is custardy, spongy, and fries perfectly in butter.
- It has a slight eggy taste.
- Required kitchen tools like a food processor, bread pan, and parchment paper. In fact, an egg loaf must be baked at 350F in a loaf pan. It means it involves some organization or meal preparation to make the loaf the day before making French toasts.
- 90-second keto microwave bread – it’s not only good but also fast to make!
- The taste and texture are perfect.
- Fast to make. It’s ready in 2 minutes and tastes amazing, with no eggy flavor.
- Small batch.
- Requires a microwave.
- It can dry fast if overbaked in the microwave.
Other possible keto bread
The first step to making this delicious keto breakfast is to pick your favorite keto low-carb bread.
Of course, you can buy some store-bought keto bread to make this recipe, but below I listed the best keto bread recipes to make keto French toasts at home.
All these bread recipes are gluten-free, and some are also egg-free and vegan.
Keto bread loaves are a bit more time-consuming to prepare. However, they are great to meal prep your week of keto meals.
You can freeze the extra slices and use them later as a keto sandwich for lunch or toast for breakfast scrambled eggs, for example.
- Keto egg loaf recipe with coconut flour – a fluffy, spongy bread made of egg and cream cheese. This bread contains many eggs and dairy, so it’s not recommended for people sensitive to egg flavor in the bread. However, it has the best texture to create custardy keto French toasts.
- Keto almond flour bread – a firmer keto bread recipe, dense with only a few eggs, no eggy flavor, or dairy. This bread is much more fulfilling than egg loaf, but leftovers also make delicious keto sandwiches.
- Keto sunflower seed bread – a nut-free keto bread, egg-free too, perfect if you can’t have nuts on your keto journey.
- Keto egg-free bread – this is a keto vegan bread recipe perfect for those who want a bland bread, firm and dense with no eggy flavor at all. This is the perfect bread to make keto vegan French toasts.
- 90-second keto bread – this option is perfect if you can’t wait to serve breakfast or you simply don’t want to make a big batch of keto bread. These keto bread are ready in 90 seconds.
Preparing the egg mixture
Next, beat together the four ingredients below into a shallow dish.
- Large egg – Eggs are naturally low-carb ingredients with about 0.3 grams of net carbs.
- Heavy cream – Cream – unlike milk – is a keto-friendly dairy product.
- Almond milk
- Vanilla extract
Cut the bread
Depending on what you want to make, regular French toasts or low-carb keto French toast sticks. You have to cut the bread differently. For slices, cut the bread into 3/4″ to 1″. For sticks, then cut each slice into long sticks.
Dip and cook
Next, dip the bread slices or breadsticks into the egg mixture on both sides evenly. Finally, cook the bread on a non-stick skillet, lightly greased with butter or coconut oil. Cook over medium heat until browned on both sides.
How to serve French toasts?
You can serve your French toasts plain or with some of the keto toppings below:
- Sugar-free maple syrup
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Keto fruits like raspberries or boysenberries
Can I make Keto Vegan French toasts?
Yes, you can use my keto vegan bread recipe and use the vegan egg-free dipping mixture below. Then, dip and cook the French toasts following the original keto recipe below.
Low-carb French toast stick nutrition
One slice of keto egg loaf makes 3 toast sticks and serves one breakfast.
The total carb for 3 keto French toast sticks or 1 whole slice of keto egg loaf French-toasted is 4.5 grams, including 1.7 grams of fiber.
So, this keto French toast recipe brings you only 2.8 grams of net carbs per breakfast!
Keto vegan French toast ‘egg’ free mixture
First, blend the ingredients below in a blender in order to create an egg-free keto vegan dip for your bread.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 45 g firm tofu – yes, tofu is keto-friendly especially recommended on a keto vegan diet.
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon erythritol
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Now, transfer the custard into a shallow bowl and use this as a vegan egg mixture to dip and cook 2 slices of keto vegan bread. Follow the original recipe to bake and serve your vegan keto French toasts.
More keto sweet breakfast recipes
If you are looking for something different to start the day, with no fried eggs and sweet flavors, I listed my favorite keto sweet breakfast below:
Made this Egg Loaf French Toast Keto recipe yet? Share a comment with me to tell me which bread recipe you used and if you liked it!
Keto French toast with egg loaf
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
To cook the bread sticks
- 2 teaspoons Unsalted butter
- The day before you start the recipe, make 1 batch of my keto egg loaf recipe.
- Slice the egg loaf into 6 slices of 3/4 inch to 1-inch thickness. Cut each slice lengthwise into 3 bread sticks. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, beat egg, heavy cream, unsweetened almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon
- Warm butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, dip bread sticks into the egg mixture, ensuring you cover all the sides and corners, and place them in the warm greased skillet to cook.
- Cook the bread sticks for 2-3 minutes on each side until all sides are brown and cooked.
- Serve immediately with butter on top and a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.