Microwave Keto Bread (Vegan, No Eggs, 1.2g Net Carbs)
Microwave keto bread or flaxseed bread is an easy 5-ingredient single-serve low-carb bread recipe that is dense, rich, and crusty!
Ready in 60 seconds, no mugs required! Start the day with only 1.2 grams of net carbs, full of fiber from flax meal and coconut flour. 100% Vegan, Paleo, Grain-free, and Low-Carb.
What’s Microwave Bread?
Microwave bread is an easy recipe made with flaxseed and cooked in the microwave.
It makes small bread loaves in under 5 minutes that have minimal carbs.
How to Make Keto Microwave Bread
Have you ever found yourself with an empty fridge and yet an insatiable craving for bread? Of course, you have, and this recipe is the cure!
All you need to make this microwave keto bread recipe are 5 simple ingredients.
90-second Bread Ingredients
- Flaxseed meal – this is my favorite flour at home. Not only because it’s low carb – only 2 grams of net carbs per 100 grams, but it also contains 30% of your iron and 20% of your calcium daily requirement. A very healthy flour for anyone on a vegan diet and who needs to find their iron in plants. Feel free to use golden or brown flax seeds. Both work great. Golden flax seeds have a less bitter flavor.
- Coconut flour – you don’t need much in this recipe, but because it’s an egg-free keto bread recipe, you definitely need the coconut flour to bind the ingredients together.
- Unsweetened Almond milk – I tried the recipe with water as well, and both work great. I simply found the bread lighter using unsweetened almond milk.
- Baking soda + apple cider vinegar – you can skip these two if you don’t have them! Don’t worry. The recipe would work, but this combo adds a delicious ‘rise’ to the bread. Highly recommended!
Making The Microwave Bread
Start with combining all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and combine with a silicone spatula.
Then, use your hands to form a small dough ball. The ball will be slightly sticky at first but should come together easily.
Mix the seeds and grains in a small cup and place them on the top of the ball.
Press the flaxseed bread ball with your hands to flatten it and give it a focaccia-like thickness.
Place the bread on a plate and microwave it for about one minute. You might have to let it cook for slightly longer depending on your microwave’s power.
Remove the bread from the microwave and let it cool down on a cooling rack to prevent the bottom from getting et and soggy.
If you don’t have a microwave, I tested 2 other cooking methods that work well – simply a bit more time-consuming for busy mornings.
- Oven. You can bake your flaxseed bread for 8-12 minutes at 360F (180C). Make sure you place the bread onto a rack covered with parchment paper. Also, I recommend making a larger batch of bread and storing the leftover for later. This recipe stores really well when baked – up to 2 days. Simply multiply the whole recipe ingredients by 4 – 1 cup flax meal and make 4 keto bread!
- Pan. Yes! You can also cook your keto flatbread in a hot pancake pan – the same I used for my coconut flour crepes recipe – for 2-3 minutes on both sides, no oil needed. These won’t store for long, but it’s a delicious way to make crispy keto bread in less than 5 minutes in the morning.
Serving Microwave Keto Bread
There are 2 ways of enjoying your microwave keto bread. Make sure you always cool it down for 1-2 minutes on a rack before eating it to avoid burning yourself. You can eat it:
- Toasted. Split halfway, toast in the toaster on high for 1 minute or so. It will add a delicious crispy texture to the bread. Spread nut butter and enjoy!
- Raw. Enjoy your bread as is with your favorite toppings.
My favorite keto vegan sweet toppings:
- Peanut butter + chia seed sugar-free strawberry jam.
- Cashew butter + sugar-free flavored maple syrup.
- Almond butter + raspberries + desiccated coconut and a drizzle of sugar-free flavored maple syrup.
- Keto fruits or homemade keto jam
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Flaxseed Bread Taste?
It’s a rich, hard, dense bread that reminds me of European bread. I’m French; we love bread with a hard crust, slightly dry, not too moist, and fluffy. Flaxseed meal is bland in flavor, so its taste isn’t overpowering.
You can play with the flavors and add spices to the batter, depending on what you intend to make with the bread.
- Savory spices idea – onion powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika, curry, chili, Parmesan
- Sweet spices idea – vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, stevia drops
If you like quick bread recipes, you’ll love the following:
I really hope you enjoyed this simple flaxseed bread recipe. Drop me a comment if you have any questions! I love to help.
Microwave Keto Bread
Want My Kitchen Equipment?
- ¼ cup Flaxseed Meal
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Almond Milk
Mixed Seed toppings
- ¼ teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Sunflower Seed
- This recipe creates an artisan-like bread, hearty, packed, and not a soft, moist microwave bread. For soft, moist microwave bread, follow my other recipe here.
- In a small mixing bowl, add flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and unsweetened almond milk
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients and form a ball. It should not take more than 1 minute. The dough is slightly sticky at first but easily comes together into a bread ball. If it's too dry, add a bit more almond milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. It may happen if you use fresh ground flaxseed meal that tends to be finer and absorbs liquid a bit more.
- Mix the seeds onto a plate, place the bread ball onto the seeds, press with your hand to flatten the dough, and make the seed stick on the other side. Repeat on the other side. You should end up with a 1-cm thick bread with seeds on both sides.
- Place the bread on a plate, microwave on high for 1 minute. You can add 30 seconds if you like your bread very hard.
- Remove from the microwave and cool down on a rack for 1 minute. The bottom of the bread that is on the plate is always a bit moister, that's normal, it will dry on the rack very quickly.
- Slice your bread in half, and enjoy with your favorite nut butter and sugar-free sweetener. Feel free to toast your bread slices in a toaster for extra crispiness. Use bagel mode and toast for 1 minute on high.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
ToolsGetting Started What Is Keto? Macro Calculator Sweetener Converter Meal Plans Recipe Ebooks Intermittent Fasting Keto Fruits Keto Vegetables Keto Flours Fighting Keto Flu Healthy Sweeteners
Ingredients:Almond MilkCoconut FlourFlaxseed Meal
Preparation:5 Ingredients Or LessUnder 10 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.
Share this post!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your close ones!
Leave a comment
I have a 900W microwave so would I still cook this for 90 seconds as I don’t know what you used? Thank you in advance.
I Look forward to trying this recipe this Morning…but I don’t have or use microwave ovens..Wondering how long to bake in oven…and I suppose it would be 350?
It should work, probably 15-22 minutes at 350F, or until crusty and dry in the center.
can almond flour be used instead odf the flax? thanks
Unfortunately no, both flours have different purpose it won’t hold its shape with almond flour because the recipe has no eggs.
Hi! I is my first keto bread try ad have question: when I mix it in bowl its not getting together as ball, its all falling apart, I added a lot of water and in the end was kinda more solid. I tried with very grounded seeds, 2nd try with less grounded (here after baking its falling apart). Made in oven. What do I wrong? Is it matter of flaxseeds or?
The bread should be solid as seen on picture, not a runny batter to bake in a ramekin.
Delicious, quick healthy bite to eat. Will make again. I didn’t have any milk so I used unsweetened applesauce. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as written.
This is so good and so easy. I used two teaspoons of almond flour instead of 1 tsp coconut flour, like one of your other folks said. And used rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. I thought maybe it was too thin to slice in half, but no, it’s perfect. Thank you so much.
Thanky you very much! This is the best fast bread ever! ❤ I eat it for dinner, one half with mustard and tuna, delicious, and other half with peanut butter. I don’t know which one is better. Just perfect! Thank you.
So much better than I thought it would be for something you stick in the microwave that’s mostly made of flax! It’s soft and neutral and delicious. I love it with peanut butter, or vegan butter with sugar-free maple syrup. It’s so easy and quick, total win.
Can I use all purpose GF Bob’s red mill to replace the coconut flour?
Pretty good and it only took 2
mins to make. Do you think half flax half chia would work? The flax gives it a slight fishy taste so I’m thinking mixing it up would take care of it. Or maybe it’s my flax? I used Whole Foods seeds and ground them myself. Also, used water instead of milk. Thanks!
I didn’t try so I can’t really tell how it will turn out I am sorry
Just tried these ones and they’re amazing! Done reaaaally fast and taste fantastic. The soda wasn’t too much to shoo me away but I did miss some salt. I’ll try with salt and spices the next time. For those who ask what happens to the bread after one hour: it gets softer and softer almost until the point when it feels like dough. If you make it in the microwave, that’s it.
Thank you Carine for this one and many other simple and delicious recipes!
Best egg free, keto bread I’ve tried. Even breads that have eggs aren’t this good. I’m grateful for this recipe. Not being able to eat eggs has been a game changer for my health but is challenging when living the keto lifestyle, however my husband and I are all in with keto. My husband has reversed his diabetes, gout and on his way to getting rid of fatty liver as well. Thank you so much for your recipes. I’ve made several and have enjoyed each one. Keep up the great job you are doing.
Hello Carine, j’ai une petite question par rapport aux infos de nutrition. Je reste constamment en dessous de 25g de carbs par jour pour mainteanir la ketosis, d’un point de vue calories je pourrais facilement faire rentrer 2 portions de cette recette sur une journee (trop fin que pour la couper en 2 et faire des sandwiches, et je pense que ca pourrait faire un tres bon burger bun).
Par contre je ne suis pas sur au niveau des carbs? Sur mes 25g journaliers, est-ce que je dois compter les 8.3 de total carbs ou juste les 1.2 de net carbs par portion?
En keto diet vous comptez les net carbs c’est a dire le nombre de carb total moins les fibres. Les fibres n’impact pas le taux de sucre dans le sang et donc la ketosis c’est pourquoi on ne les compte pas. Au plaisir, Carine
Wow this is fantastic! A total game changer to find a microwave bread so full of fibre. I used it for an open sandwich with cheese and turkey slices – it was delicious!!!
Can I use psyllium husk powder or chia seeds instead of flaxseed meal? it’s not available in my area. thanks!
Ground chia seed will work but I would not use husk here. . Enjoy, XOXO Carine
That is the best keto bread substitute I’ve found. Thank you for sharing
Easy to make! Really satisfies my bread cravings (I follow keto). Thanks for the recipe!
I want to thank you SO MUCH for this recipe. It’s a few days until the next paycheck and shopping trip and my ingredients for keto baking type things were low or out. Notably, I was out of eggs, yikes. I found this quick bread recipe and I used everything seasoning to make a quick bagel replacement. I spread it with cream cheese, and had it for lunch. It was delicious and filling, and I am probably gonna make it again tomorrow for lunch!
Coucou ! Je viens de faire la recette, c’était super bon !!!! Par contre ca m’a fait un pain vraiment rikiki lol, est ce que je me suis trompée ? Sur la photo il a l’air grand quand même comparé a votre main, je recommence demain en doublant les mesures, mille merci !!
It’s a one serve small bread, hand size, but I have tiny kids hands 🙂 Diameter is about 10 cm. You can double up the recipe for sure but it will take longer to bake in the microwave. Donc oui c’est un petit pain de la taille de ma main, mais j’ai des mains d’enfants 🙂 Le diametre est d’environ 10 cm si vous le pressez bien avant de cuire. Vous pouvez doubler la recette mais le temps de cuisson sera surement un peu plus long. A bientot ! Carine
So delicious! Wow I love this new keto bread for me! Thank you so very much for sharing it
Hi! Do you know how many grams of each ingredient? Could I sub the coconut flour with almond flour if I keep the rest of the ingredients as they are?
ure, click the metric link before the list of ingredients, it converts the recipe in grams. Enjoy, XOXO Carine
This is wonderful, thank you so much.
Wow! I’ve been making the ke to bread loaf w almond flour for over a year. It’s my daily bead. But 60 second microwave is new to me, and so welcome in my little mountain cabin quarantine. This is fantastic! I made mine a bit dry, with garlic and oregano. 60 seconds in the microwave, split and toasted 2 minutes in toaster oven resulted in a crunchy crust that I adore! Thank you so much, Carine, for making ke to so easy!
Oh thank you for the lovely word. I send you lots of love. Enjoy the blog recipes, XOXO Carine
Though I haven’t tried this recipe, I can’t wait to taste them!
I am from Denmark, so I was wondering what kind of coconut flour you’re talking about.
Is it like shredded coconut made into flour by blending it or is it like a really high on fibers fat-reduced flour that really sucks a lot of moisture or a completely different 3rd option?
Best regards from Simon
Yes it is option too!