Microwave Keto Bread (Vegan, No Eggs, 1.2g Net Carbs)
Microwave keto bread or flaxseed bread is an easy 5-ingredient single-serve low-carb bread recipe that is dense, rich, and crusty!
Ready in 60 seconds, no mugs required! Start the day with only 1.2 grams of net carbs, full of fiber from flax meal and coconut flour. 100% Vegan, Paleo, Grain-free, and Low-Carb.
What’s Microwave Bread?
Microwave bread is an easy recipe made with flaxseed and cooked in the microwave.
It makes small bread loaves in under 5 minutes that have minimal carbs.
How to Make Keto Microwave Bread
Have you ever found yourself with an empty fridge and yet an insatiable craving for bread? Of course, you have, and this recipe is the cure!
All you need to make this microwave keto bread recipe are 5 simple ingredients.
90-second Bread Ingredients
- Flaxseed meal – this is my favorite flour at home. Not only because it’s low carb – only 2 grams of net carbs per 100 grams, but it also contains 30% of your iron and 20% of your calcium daily requirement. A very healthy flour for anyone on a vegan diet and who needs to find their iron in plants. Feel free to use golden or brown flax seeds. Both work great. Golden flax seeds have a less bitter flavor.
- Coconut flour – you don’t need much in this recipe, but because it’s an egg-free keto bread recipe, you definitely need the coconut flour to bind the ingredients together.
- Unsweetened Almond milk – I tried the recipe with water as well, and both work great. I simply found the bread lighter using unsweetened almond milk.
- Baking soda + apple cider vinegar – you can skip these two if you don’t have them! Don’t worry. The recipe would work, but this combo adds a delicious ‘rise’ to the bread. Highly recommended!
Making The Microwave Bread
Start with combining all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and combine with a silicone spatula.
Then, use your hands to form a small dough ball. The ball will be slightly sticky at first but should come together easily.
Mix the seeds and grains in a small cup and place them on the top of the ball.
Press the flaxseed bread ball with your hands to flatten it and give it a focaccia-like thickness.
Place the bread on a plate and microwave it for about one minute. You might have to let it cook for slightly longer depending on your microwave’s power.
Remove the bread from the microwave and let it cool down on a cooling rack to prevent the bottom from getting et and soggy.
If you don’t have a microwave, I tested 2 other cooking methods that work well – simply a bit more time-consuming for busy mornings.
- Oven. You can bake your flaxseed bread for 8-12 minutes at 360F (180C). Make sure you place the bread onto a rack covered with parchment paper. Also, I recommend making a larger batch of bread and storing the leftover for later. This recipe stores really well when baked – up to 2 days. Simply multiply the whole recipe ingredients by 4 – 1 cup flax meal and make 4 keto bread!
- Pan. Yes! You can also cook your keto flatbread in a hot pancake pan – the same I used for my coconut flour crepes recipe – for 2-3 minutes on both sides, no oil needed. These won’t store for long, but it’s a delicious way to make crispy keto bread in less than 5 minutes in the morning.
Serving Microwave Keto Bread
There are 2 ways of enjoying your microwave keto bread. Make sure you always cool it down for 1-2 minutes on a rack before eating it to avoid burning yourself. You can eat it:
- Toasted. Split halfway, toast in the toaster on high for 1 minute or so. It will add a delicious crispy texture to the bread. Spread nut butter and enjoy!
- Raw. Enjoy your bread as is with your favorite toppings.
My favorite keto vegan sweet toppings:
- Peanut butter + chia seed sugar-free strawberry jam.
- Cashew butter + sugar-free flavored maple syrup.
- Almond butter + raspberries + desiccated coconut and a drizzle of sugar-free flavored maple syrup.
- Keto fruits or homemade keto jam
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Flaxseed Bread Taste?
It’s a rich, hard, dense bread that reminds me of European bread. I’m French; we love bread with a hard crust, slightly dry, not too moist, and fluffy. Flaxseed meal is bland in flavor, so its taste isn’t overpowering.
You can play with the flavors and add spices to the batter, depending on what you intend to make with the bread.
- Savory spices idea – onion powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika, curry, chili, Parmesan
- Sweet spices idea – vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, stevia drops
If you like quick bread recipes, you’ll love the following:
I really hope you enjoyed this simple flaxseed bread recipe. Drop me a comment if you have any questions! I love to help.
Did You Like This Recipe?
Microwave Keto Bread
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.