Microwave keto bread – No eggs or mug needed !
I am back from holiday and my fridge is empty and of course, it is a public holiday this morning so no stores are open on Anzac Day morning in New Zealand. While the kids are fine on porridge for breakfast, Damien LOVES bread! He is vegan, I love my food healthy low carb. That is how this microwave keto bread or flaxseed bread recipe came to world. A combination of both our diet an empty fridge and a craving for bread. All you need to make this microwave keto bread recipe are 5 simple ingredients.
- Flax meal – this is my favorite flour at home. Not only because it is low carb – only 2g net carb per 100 grams, but it also contains 30% iron and 20% calcium. A very healthy flour for my vegan husband who source his iron only from plant based food. Feel free to use gold or brown flaxseed, both work great. Golden flaxseed have a smaller bitter flavor.
- Coconut flour – you don’t need much in this recipe but because it is a egg free keto bread recipe you definitely need the coconut flour to bind the ingredients together.
- Unsweetened Almond milk – I tried the recipe with water as well and both works great. I simply found the bread lighter using Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk, made from the best California Almonds
- Baking soda + apple cider vinegar – you can skip those two if you don’t have them ! Don’t worry the recipe works BUT those two add a delicious ‘rise’ to the bread. Highly recommend!
Easy to make. Combine with your hands, shape, dip into seed mix, microwave and enjoy
How to eat the microwave keto bread ?
There 2 ways to enjoy your microwave keto bread. Make sure you always cool down 1-2 minutes on a rack before eating to avoid burning yourself. You can eat it as an:
- Toasted. Split halfway, toast in the toaster on high for 1 minute or so, it will add a delicious crispy texture to the bread. Spread nut butter and enjoy !
- Raw. Enjoy your bread as is with your favorite toppings.
My favorite keto vegan sweet toppings – I am a sweet tooth you know that right?
- Peanut butter + chia seed sugar free strawberry jam
- Cashew butter + sugar free flavored maple syrup
- Almond butter + raspberries + desiccated coconut and a drizzle of sugar free flavored maple syrup
How does flaxseed bread taste ?
It is a rich, hard, dense bread that remind Europen bread. I am French, we love bread that is hard, slightly dry not really moist and fluffy. Flaxseed are blend in flavors so it does not taste much. You can play with the flavor and add spices to the batter depending on what you intend to make with the bread.
- Savory spices idea – onion powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika, curry, chilli, parmesan
- Sweet spices idea – vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, stevia drops
What if I don’t have a microwave?
I got you covered! I tested 2 other cooking methods that works well – simply a bit more time consuming for busy mornings
- Oven. You can bake your flaxseed bread for 8-12 minutes at 360F (180C). Make sure you place the bread onto a cooking rack covered with parchement paper. Also I recommend to make a larger batch of bread and store the leftover for later. This recipe store really well when baked – up to 2 days. Simply multiply the whole recipe ingredients by 4 times – 1 cup flax meal and make 4 keto bread!
- Pan. Yes! you can also cook your keto flatbread in a hot pancake pan – the same I used for my coconut flour crepes recipe – for 2-3 minutes on both sides, NO oil needed. Those won’t store for long too but it is a delicious way to make a crispy keto bread in less than 5 minutes in the morning.
I really hope you enjoyed this simple flaxseed bread recipe. Drop me a comment if you have any questions ! I love to help.
WATCH THE MICROWAVE KETO FLAXSEED BREAD VIDEO AND MAKE IT NOW !
Microwave keto bread, easy 5 ingredients english muffins recipe, 90 seconds, NO Mugs required! Flaxseed, coconut flour and NO eggs needed ! Vegan + Paleo + Grain free +Low Carb.
In a small mixing bowl, add flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, apple cider vinegar and unsweetened almond milk
Use your hand to bring the ingredients together and form a ball. It should not take more than 1 minute. The dough is slightly sticky at first but easily comes together into a bread ball. At contrary, if it is too dry, slightly add a bit more almond milk 1/2 teaspoon at a time. It may happen if you use fresh grounded flaxseed that tend to be finer and absorb liquid a bit more.
Mix the seed onto a plate, place the bread ball onto the seed, press with your hand to flatten the dough and stick the seed on one side. Repeat on the other side. You should end up with a 1 cm thick bread with seeds on both side.
Place the bread on a plate, microwave on high for 1 minutes. You can add 30 seconds if you like your bread very tough/hard as French people does.
Remove from the microwave and cool down on a rack for 1 minute. The bottom of the bread that sit on the plate is always a bit moist, that is normal, it will dry on the rack very quickly.
Slice your bread half, and enjoy with your favorite nut butter and sugar free sweetener. Feel free to toast your bread slices in a toaster for extra crispiness. Use bagel mode and toast for 1 minute on high.
Storage: this bread doesn't store more than 1 hour. Texture will change with time so it is better to prepare your bread just before eating. You can simply mix the dry ingredients the day before, add almond milk in the morning and it is ready in 90 seconds!
Milk: use milk of your choice. I recommend almond milk as a dairy free low calorie milk.
No Microwave? That is ok, bake your bread at 360 C in the oven for 8-12 minutes. Make sure you place your bread on a baking rack covered with parchment paper. This technique makes bread even crispier and store better than the microwave one! Perfect if you want to make ahead some bread for breakfast sandwich.
Nutrition panel is for the whole recipe. This recipe serve one single microwave keto bread.