Microwave Keto Bread (Vegan, No Eggs, 1.2g Net Carbs)
Microwave keto bread or flaxseed bread is an easy 5-ingredient single-serve low-carb bread recipe that is dense, rich, and crusty!
Ready in 60 seconds, no mugs required! Start the day with only 1.2 grams of net carbs, full of fiber from flax meal and coconut flour. 100% Vegan, Paleo, Grain-free, and Low-Carb.
What’s Microwave Bread?
Microwave bread is an easy recipe made with flaxseed and cooked in the microwave.
It makes small bread loaves in under 5 minutes that have minimal carbs.
How to Make Keto Microwave Bread
Have you ever found yourself with an empty fridge and yet an insatiable craving for bread? Of course, you have, and this recipe is the cure!
All you need to make this microwave keto bread recipe are 5 simple ingredients.
90-second Bread Ingredients
- Flaxseed meal – this is my favorite flour at home. Not only because it’s low carb – only 2 grams of net carbs per 100 grams, but it also contains 30% of your iron and 20% of your calcium daily requirement. A very healthy flour for anyone on a vegan diet and who needs to find their iron in plants. Feel free to use golden or brown flax seeds. Both work great. Golden flax seeds have a less bitter flavor.
- Coconut flour – you don’t need much in this recipe, but because it’s an egg-free keto bread recipe, you definitely need the coconut flour to bind the ingredients together.
- Unsweetened Almond milk – I tried the recipe with water as well, and both work great. I simply found the bread lighter using unsweetened almond milk.
- Baking soda + apple cider vinegar – you can skip these two if you don’t have them! Don’t worry. The recipe would work, but this combo adds a delicious ‘rise’ to the bread. Highly recommended!
Making The Microwave Bread
Start with combining all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and combine with a silicone spatula.
Then, use your hands to form a small dough ball. The ball will be slightly sticky at first but should come together easily.
Mix the seeds and grains in a small cup and place them on the top of the ball.
Press the flaxseed bread ball with your hands to flatten it and give it a focaccia-like thickness.
Place the bread on a plate and microwave it for about one minute. You might have to let it cook for slightly longer depending on your microwave’s power.
Remove the bread from the microwave and let it cool down on a cooling rack to prevent the bottom from getting et and soggy.
If you don’t have a microwave, I tested 2 other cooking methods that work well – simply a bit more time-consuming for busy mornings.
- Oven. You can bake your flaxseed bread for 8-12 minutes at 360F (180C). Make sure you place the bread onto a rack covered with parchment paper. Also, I recommend making a larger batch of bread and storing the leftover for later. This recipe stores really well when baked – up to 2 days. Simply multiply the whole recipe ingredients by 4 – 1 cup flax meal and make 4 keto bread!
- Pan. Yes! You can also cook your keto flatbread in a hot pancake pan – the same I used for my coconut flour crepes recipe – for 2-3 minutes on both sides, no oil needed. These won’t store for long, but it’s a delicious way to make crispy keto bread in less than 5 minutes in the morning.
Serving Microwave Keto Bread
There are 2 ways of enjoying your microwave keto bread. Make sure you always cool it down for 1-2 minutes on a rack before eating it to avoid burning yourself. You can eat it:
- Toasted. Split halfway, toast in the toaster on high for 1 minute or so. It will add a delicious crispy texture to the bread. Spread nut butter and enjoy!
- Raw. Enjoy your bread as is with your favorite toppings.
My favorite keto vegan sweet toppings:
- Peanut butter + chia seed sugar-free strawberry jam.
- Cashew butter + sugar-free flavored maple syrup.
- Almond butter + raspberries + desiccated coconut and a drizzle of sugar-free flavored maple syrup.
- Keto fruits or homemade keto jam
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Flaxseed Bread Taste?
It’s a rich, hard, dense bread that reminds me of European bread. I’m French; we love bread with a hard crust, slightly dry, not too moist, and fluffy. Flaxseed meal is bland in flavor, so its taste isn’t overpowering.
You can play with the flavors and add spices to the batter, depending on what you intend to make with the bread.
- Savory spices idea – onion powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika, curry, chili, Parmesan
- Sweet spices idea – vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, stevia drops
If you like quick bread recipes, you’ll love the following:
I really hope you enjoyed this simple flaxseed bread recipe. Drop me a comment if you have any questions! I love to help.
Microwave Keto Bread
Want My Kitchen Equipment?
- ¼ cup Flaxseed Meal
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Almond Milk
Mixed Seed toppings
- ¼ teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Sunflower Seed
- This recipe creates an artisan-like bread, hearty, packed, and not a soft, moist microwave bread. For soft, moist microwave bread, follow my other recipe here.
- In a small mixing bowl, add flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and unsweetened almond milk
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients and form a ball. It should not take more than 1 minute. The dough is slightly sticky at first but easily comes together into a bread ball. If it's too dry, add a bit more almond milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. It may happen if you use fresh ground flaxseed meal that tends to be finer and absorbs liquid a bit more.
- Mix the seeds onto a plate, place the bread ball onto the seeds, press with your hand to flatten the dough, and make the seed stick on the other side. Repeat on the other side. You should end up with a 1-cm thick bread with seeds on both sides.
- Place the bread on a plate, microwave on high for 1 minute. You can add 30 seconds if you like your bread very hard.
- Remove from the microwave and cool down on a rack for 1 minute. The bottom of the bread that is on the plate is always a bit moister, that's normal, it will dry on the rack very quickly.
- Slice your bread in half, and enjoy with your favorite nut butter and sugar-free sweetener. Feel free to toast your bread slices in a toaster for extra crispiness. Use bagel mode and toast for 1 minute on high.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
ToolsGetting Started What Is Keto? Macro Calculator Sweetener Converter Meal Plans Recipe Ebooks Intermittent Fasting Keto Fruits Keto Vegetables Keto Flours Fighting Keto Flu Healthy Sweeteners
Posted In:Almond MilkCoconut FlourFlaxseed MealBakingDairy-FreeEgg-FreeGluten-FreeGrain-FreeHealthyKetoLow-CarbPaleoVeganVegetarianBreakfastSide DishEasy5 Ingredients Or LessUnder 10 Minutes
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.
Share this post!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your close ones!
Leave a comment
Thank you, i loved your recipe! It worked really well. I did not feel like waiting for the oven and don’t have a microwave so fried it in a pan. It worked!
Such a great idea to fry this in pan! Sounds delicious. Thanks for he lovely feedback, XOXO Carine.
thank you so much for your recipes! also, I think you mean “bland” instead of blend…
haha YES, I correct it so sorry for that.
Can I just say, your recipes are the best!!!! So simple and easy, not too many over complicated recipes with ingredients that are actually available in my country. <3 This is a must try for me 😀
Thank you! I am very happy you found my blog, Enjoy the easy low carb recipes aroun here. XOXO Carine.
Can you roll this flat and use as an individual pizza crust?
I don’t think this will be good, it be very dry. However I have two lovely keto pizza crust for you to try on the blog. The coconut flour pizza crust or the thick pizza crust. Enjoy! XOXO Carine.
This is exactly what I needed today. I was searching for an egg-free low carb bread and found your site. I’m so glad I did. I didn’t have the seeds, so I had to do without. And I’m out of apple cider vinegar so I substitud white vinegar. It still came out great. I’m off to make another one. Thanks for a great recipe.
Thank you for trying my keto vegan bread recipe, so glad you love it! XOXO Carine
I’ve just made one of these and it’s absolutely delicious! Like you said, you could make it sweet or savoury, so many options and super quick to make. Thank you so much!
Yeah! I am so glad you love this bred too, it is my favorite quick keto bread recipe ! Enjoy the recipes on the blog, XOXO Carine.
I´m loving your recipes. Thanks for all your hard work. Happy New Year.
Thanks for always being here with me ! I am so happy. Happy New Year too. XOXO Carine
I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for sharing all your awesome recipes!
My pleasure! I can’t wait to read your review on that one. XOXO Carine.
Well, I made this without coconut flour and my flaxseed looks maybe not as finely ground and not sure if that is why it turned out quite metallic tasting. It tasted like too much baking soda!
Tried making it with baking powder and turned out well and honestly no difference in how much it rose.
Some people don’t really appreciate the flavor of baking soda so yes, you can swap for baking powder! I am happy you enjoy the bread. Thanks for reviewing here. XOXO Carine.
I ‘ve made this in the microwave a few times and enjoyed. Tonight I used the pan fry method…AMAZING. The texture is chewy, yet also crisps up on the outside for a crust like effect. So good! I recommend this method over microwaving!
Tonight I added onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt. I also made my own flax seed meal using a Golden Flaxseed ground in a NutriBullet.
Have fun adding in Savory spices and herbs, you will NOT be disappointed!!
I love the spices addition! What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. Enjoy the blog recipes, XOXO Carine.
Just made and ate this bread. It’s amazing!!! At first I thought it smells like chicken feed, but once I toasted it, it turned into the most delicious keto bread. I would totally eat this if I wasn’t doing the keto diet. I’m off to try your other recipes. Thank you!
Thanks so much for the lovely comment and or trying my recipes ! I agree that this bread must be toasted after microwaving or it is very bland in flavor. Once toasted even my kids love them as you said keto or not that is a tasty quick healthy bread. I can’t wait to read your next comment on my recipes and I am very excited to have you hear. Talk to you soon, XOXO Carine.
Miam ! Enfin du “vrai” pain au p’tit dèj’ !! Cuit au four, il était effectivement croustillant ????! Demain , je rajouterai quand même une pincée de sel …un petit coucou et un grand merci de Provence !
Bonjour de Nouvelle Zelande ! Je suis super contente de t’avoir ici, ca fais tellement plaisir de lire un oli commentaire en Francais. J’avoue que tu peux beaucoup jouer sur les epices et saveur avec cette recette un peu d’herbes de provence serait pas mal non plus 🙂 A bientot sur le blog. Carine.
followed the recipe to a tee (the bake in the oven version) and they were a total fail. They crumbled and fell apart and were so dry.
Any idea what went wrong there? Also the colour of the dough was much darker from start to finish when i compare to the photos in this recipe. 🙁
You may have used a thicker flaxmeal which explain why it is darker and dryer. You must use a very thin ground flaxmeal for success with this recipe. If the dough if too dry before baking you can always add 1 tablespoon water or almond milk. Also note that this intend to be a microwave bread recipe meaning that oven baking can dry them significantly. If you prefer oven bread recipe try my keto bread rolls. Enjoy the recipe. XOXO Carine.
Hi carine! I just tried it and I liked it pretty much! The only thing I should warn about is the amounts of vinegar, I used a bit too much and it tasted a little weird. I realized actually that was my mistake after making it twice. And also I needed a bit more of milk. Anyways that odd taste can be easily hidden with some spread ????????
I stored it also on the fridge and still kept a great texture! Xoxo
Hi ! I see what you mean, it happens to me before and too much ACV can make found bitter but I am sure you will follow the right amount next time and end up with the most beautiful bread. So glad you enjoy them anyway! Enjoy the recipes around here. XOXO Carine.
how many ml is this cup measure? or maybe grams?
I am using regular US cups, a cup is 240ml. Enjoy the recipes on the blog. XOXO Carine.
Thank you for this. I’ve been searching for a recipe that doesn’t use so much nut flour so that it’s both lower calorie and lower in saturated fat. I replaced the coconut flour with 2 teaspoons of almond flour, added salt, and made a big flat cracker, no seeds, for my tuna salad. 170 calories, 12.5 g total fat, 9g protein, 1/3 g carbs. Next time I’ll try Monica’s psyllium husk substitution, and lower the macros even more. Fabulous!
That sounds amazing! I love how you tweak this bread into a cracker! Enjoy the blog recipes, XOXO Carine.
Hi, Carine! This looks great!
I’m interested in baking a larger batch (1 cup of flax). Should I also qudruple the baking soda and vinegar?
I never cooked this recipe in the oven in large batch so I have got no idea how it will turn out or how you should work out the measurement. I guess you should quadruple everything but baking i not always as simple maths so you may need more or less liquid … Let me know if you give this a go, it is interesting ! XOXO Carine.
What a delicious way to get all the health benefits of flaxmeal, and low carb too – this bread was wonderfu! I baked mine in the air fryer at 350°. I added onion powder and topped with cream cheese. It was reminiscent of an onion bagel. Next time I will flatten it a bit more to make a crispier disc! Btw, 140 calories is correct for 1/4 cup of flax. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!
I’m thinking…. make it oblong and make it into a bun for a CARROT DOG!!! This it will work?
I am not sure what a carrot dog it might work. Enjoy the recipe, XOXO Carine.
Thanks for the lovely feedback ! I don’t have an airfryer yet but that looks amazing. Enjoy the recipes on the blog. XOXO Carine.
I made these for breakfast this morning. So quick to make and also so tasty. They passed the 5 year old child test which is also a bonus, she asked if we could have them again, and she enjoyed helping to make them. I used milled flax seeds that had goji berries in as this is all i had and it made them slightly sweet. They are eaten so fast that I haven’t had a chance to even put any fillings in. I’ve pinned your recipe ( https://www.pinterest.co.uk/stuff4vegans/vegan-recipes/ ) . Thank you.
Oh great ! I am so glad your little one enjoy this bread too. Enjoy the low carb recipes on the blog. XOXO Carine
Generally I use soy milk. has anyone tried making this with soy milk instead of almond milk? It looks great and I have almost all the ingredients….. Shopping tomorrow for the rest. 🙂
Of course you can use soy milk ! Any milk will work very well for this recipe. Enjoy the bread, XOXO Carine.