Sugar Free Lemon Pie with Coconut Flour Pie Crust
Lemon Curd pie has always been my favorite dessert. However it took me 6 months before I managed to make the perfect sugar free lemon pie. This recipe has been tested by my French friends and they love it. The sugar free lemon curd is not acid perfectly sweet – simply sweetened with sugar free crustal sweetener – I used erythritol or sometimes monk fruit sugar. I will not lie to you I have been a bit lazy and I did not squeeze fresh lemons. Instead I used freshly squeezed lemon from a pack – a lovely natural 100% squeeze lemon juice. What I love about this new recipe is the CRUST ! I made an easy 4-ingredients coconut flour pie crust ready in 5 minutes in my food processor. It is THE healthy pie crust I am using for any low carb keto pie crust. Full recipe on the blog here.
Sometimes, I love to add a tiny bit of fresh vanilla in the dough. Very optional but it is a simple addition that makes a big difference. Coconut goes so well with lemon ! I am wondering why I wait so long to eat sugar free! Those new clean eating recipes are way tastier than the french dessert recipes I used to make. HAHA and guilt free. You can make this sugar free lemon pie with different toppings. The meringue is not difficult to create without sugar. If you buy a good sugar free crystal sweetener like erythritol or monk fruit sugar it will work like a charm. Note: on the picture below I used my Low Carb Almond Flour Pie Crust recipe – that is why it is not as white and it is to show you a different option !
Honestly, I don’t do a meringue each time. Sometimes I love to simply serve the sugar lemon pie with a sprinkle of unsweetened dessicated coconut and fresh grated lemon zest. Or, in summer I am adding fresh strawberries and a drizzle of sugar free chocolate.
If you still want to do the meringue, I recommend to prepare it just before serving the pie. I have a torch lamp to burn the surface and keep the meringue soft. But you can also bring the sugar free lemon pie back in the oven for few minutes on grill mode to brown the top.
Watch the recipe video and make it now !
Enjoy the recipe,
Sugar Free Lemon Pie - Low Carb + Grain free
- 1 coconut flour pie crust - recipe from my blog, click link
Sugar free Lemon curd
- 1/2 cup lemon juice or juice of about 5 small lemon
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolk - keep egg white for meringue
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Sugar free Crystal Sweetner - Monk Fruit -erythritol or monk fruit sugar
Soft sugar free meringue frosting
- 2 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar free crystal swetener
Coconut Flour Pie Crust
- Prepare the Coconut flour Pie Crust following my blog recipe.
Sugar Free Lemon Curd
- Whisk the lemon juice, sweetener, eggs and egg yolks together in a sauce pan.
- Bring to medium heat and add the coconut oil, stirring continuously, to avoid the eggs to cook and scramble.
- When the coconut oil is melted, increase the heat to medium-high, keep stirring until it thickens up.
- When thick, remove from heat and transfer into a bowl to cool down at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Fill in the coconut flour pie crust with the lemon curd. Refrigerate the lemon pie for at least 2 hours to firm up.
Sugar free meringue frosting
- Before serving add the meringue.
- In a bowl whisk the egg white until it starts producing a good volume. Usually 30 seconds on high speed.
- Keep whisking on high speed and slowly add the sugar free crystal sweetener of your choice.
- After 1 minutes and 30 seconds the meringue should be really fluffy and triple its volume.
- Upside down the bowl to check if the meringue is ready. If it stick to the bowl transfer on the top of the lemon curd pie.
- Torch the top of the meringue or place 2 minutes in the oven on grill more until the top is slightly brown.
Nutrition panel is for one lemon pie slice with meringue on top using 100% sugar free sweetener. This recipe makes a 8 inch, 8 slice pie.
This post has been updated on 23/11/2017 regarding my taste and adaptation to this recipe.