Easy 5-ingredient keto shortbread cookies with almond flour ready in less than 15 minutes to fix all your sweet cravings with only 1 gram of net carbs. Bonus, these almond flour shortbread cookies are keto, vegan, and gluten-free!
How to make keto shortbread cookies
It’s very easy to whip a batch of keto shortbread cookies that taste like your favorite traditional shortbread!
Keto shortbread cookies ingredients
All you need to make low carb shortbread cookies are 5 ingredients:
- Almond flour – this refers to ultra-fine almond flour, golden-white in color. Don’t use almond meal for keto cookie recipes. The texture of your cookies will be dry and grainy. Want to learn how to choose your keto flours?
- Erythritol – this is my favorite keto sweetener to make keto cookies that keep your blood sugar level in control. It also adds a lovely crispy texture to cookies compared to xylitol that keeps cookies soft. Another option is to use allulose or brands that combine erythritol and monk fruit.
- Softened butter – like for traditional shortbread, remove the butter from the fridge for 1 hour or so before making the cookie dough.
- Vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients with a beater
Next, add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and using an electric beater or paddle attachment of a stand mixer, combine until a crumbly dough forms.
Finally, use your hands to gather the dough crumble and for a cookie dough ball.
Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes in the mixing bowl.
Roll out the dough or shape!
It’s up to you to press out cookies or roll out the dough and cut out shapes using a cookie cutter. I personally prefer option 1 because it’s faster.
Are you new to Keto?
Receive my Keto Quick Start email series to learn all about the Keto diet and kick start your keto journey!
Option 1: fast keto shortbread shaping
Divide the dough into 16 balls – one ball is about 1 tablespoon size. Roll each ball between the palm of your hands and place it on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, leaving half thumb between each cookie.
While these keto shortbread cookies won’t expand in the oven, it’s preferable to prevent them from touching each other.
Using the back of a fork, press the top of each cookie gently to flatten them into about 1/2 inch thickness (1 cm).
The thinner, the crispier they will be, so play with thickness regarding your expectations.
Option 2: cut-out keto shortbread cookies
To roll out the dough, encase the cookie dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and start rolling with a rolling pin. Don’t roll too thin, or the dough becomes fragile, and the cookies bake too fast.
Cut out dough with a cookie cutter and transfer the cut-out cookies on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Gather leftover dough to reform a dough ball and roll for more cookies.
How to bake almond flour cookies?
These low-carb shortbread cookies with almond flour bake very fast. Place the cookie sheet in the center rack of a preheated oven at 350F(180c) and bake for 8 to 11 minutes.
Baking time depends on the thickness of your cookies. If you roll out the dough and cut out thin cookies, they will bake super fast.
Cool down the cookies at room temperature for 10 minutes on the cooking rack.
Then, transfer on a cooling rack and wait 20 extra minutes before eating. The cookies are soft when out of the oven and firm up at room temperature. They reach their best texture after 30 minutes.
How does keto almond shortbread taste like?
These keto-friendly shortbread cookies are crunchy, slightly sweet, buttery, and even more delicious with a drizzle of sugar-free dark chocolate on top!
Of course, you can play with flavor and create a range of shortbread cookie flavors with this recipe. Add some of the below ingredients into the dough to change the flavor.
- For Lemon Shortbread Cookies: add 1 tablespoon of grated lemon zest and 1 teaspoon lemon extract instead of the vanilla extract.
- For Chocolate Chips Almond flour Shortbread Cookies – add 1/4 cup of sugar-free chocolate chips.
To decorate the cookies, simply melt the following in a saucepan over medium heat:
- Sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate on top of each cookie. Then, place the cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes to harden the chocolate.
If you fancy some extra crunchy, why not adding some of the following toppings:
- Sliced almonds
- Desiccated coconut
- Pinch of salt
- Peanut butter
Can I use coconut flour instead of almond flour?
For example, coconut flour contains four times more fiber. Therefore, it’s a very liquid absorbent flour that often requires eggs or lots of liquid to hold ingredients together.
For coconut flour keto cookies, follow some of my recipes below :
How to store keto shortbread?
You can store this keto shortbread cookie recipe in a cookie jar at room temperature for up to 1 week. If you keep the jar sealed, the cookies stay crunchy.
Another option is to freeze your cookies and thaw at room temperature 3 hours before eating or overnight.
When can I eat keto shortbread cookies?
These low-carb shortbread cookies are the best snack on your keto diet. They are full of fat to keep you full, taste sweet to fix your sweet tooth, and convenient to bring everywhere. One or two of these cookies should fix all your afternoon hunger and help you reach your fat macros.
More keto cookie recipes
Have you made this almond flour keto shortbread recipe? Share a comment or review below!
Keto Shortbread Cookies
My MacrosTo get yours, join Sweetashoney Members!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients, and using an electric beater, beat until the batter forms a crumble.
- Gather the cookie crumble into a dough ball.
- Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes.
- Scoop one tablespoon of dough, roll between the palm of your hand and place onto the cookie sheet.
- Repeat until you form 16 cookie dough balls, leaving half thumb space between each cookie ball to prevent the cookies from touching each other.
- Flatten each cookie dough ball with the back of a fork into a 1/2 inch thickness - the thinner, the crispier, and the faster they bake.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 8 to 11 minutes or until the sides of the cookies are golden brown.
- Cool down for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet, then 20 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Serve plain, or add a drizzle of 1/4 cup melted sugar-free chocolate chips on top to decorate.
- Store in a cookie jar, sealed, for up to 1 week. Can be frozen. Thaw for 3 hours before eating.
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only. The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized. You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.