Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies – Shortbread coconut flour cookies
I love to eat a good ‘buttery’ shortbread cookie with my green tea in the afternoon. I always have a box of cookie in my pantry with my favorite low carb shortbread cookies While I love those plain shortbread cookies, I am currently craving chocolate too! That is how I came up with this simple 4 ingredients chocolate shortbread recipe. I choose to use coconut flour in this recipe – it is low carb, high in fibre and the best flour to add a crumbly shortbread texture to cookies. As my husband won’t eat eggs I used a mix of creamy peanut butter and coconut flour in this recipe. The combination of both ingredients with the sharp blade from the food processor is what gives those vegan peanut butter chocolate cookies the most delicious sandy rough texture I love in shortbread.
Easy 4 ingredients recipe
All you need to make those lovely vegan chocolate peanut butter cookies are 4 ingredients and a food processor.
- Peanut butter – I used unsalted natural peanut butter, no sugar added. I recommend to use fresh, runny peanut butter or the recipe won’t work well
- Coconut flour – make sure this has no lump, sift the flour before you measure it to make sure it is precise. Coconut flour is highly liquid absorbent and if you don’t measure it well – add too much of it – it will dry up the dough.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sugar free liquid sweetener or any liquid sweetener you love like maple syrup, agave or brown rice syrup. I love to use sugar free liquid sweetener to decrease the carbs and sugar in my recipes but any liquid sweetener work well.
Taste and texture: healthy crunchy Shortbread cookies
Those vegan chocolate peanut butter cookies are crunchy cookie, slightly sweet, with a delicious nutty ‘buttery’ flavor and an amazing sandy texture that makes them perfect with a cup of tea. They are perfect addition to a cookie box for any occasion like Christmas or a tea party with friends.
Plain or decorated
I decorated mine with melted sugar free dark chocolate and crushed peanuts. It is optional but I love the extra layer of chocolate on top of those cookies. I made 6 large cookies for the photography but I usually prefer to divide the dough in 8 portions to create 8 medium size cookies. They are very fulfilling and this is the perfect size to fix my sweet craving.
I hope you enjoy this vegan chocolate peanut cookie recipe. Leave me a comment and tell me more about it !
Watch the chocolate peanut butter cookie recipe and make them now !
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven to 180C (356F).
- Prepare a cookie rack covered with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor with the S blade attachment, add all the ingredients, order doesn't matter. Process on medium speed for about 1 minute or until all the ingredient comes together into a ball.
- Stop the food processor, gather the ingredients together to form a ball and split in 8 even pieces.
- Roll each pieces into a cookie ball, place each ball on the prepared cookie rack leaving half thumb space between each cookies. The cookies won't spread so don't leave too much space. If the dough is too dry or crumbly, you can oil your hands with a tiny amount of coconut oil to make the rolling easier.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool down on a cookie rack. I used a large spatula that I slide under the cookie to gently transfer the cookies one by one to the rack without breaking them.
- When cool down, decorate with sugar free melted dark chocolate and chop peanuts. Place the cookies in the freezer few minutes to quickly set the melted chocolate if needed.
- Store up to 3 weeks in a cookie jar.
Nutrition panel is for one vegan chocolate peanut butter cookie. This recipe makes 8 cookies. Net carb 5.4 g per cookie.