Spinach frittata feta, mushrooms and capsicum
I am not sharing much savory recipes on my blog simply because I am a sweet tooth and a baking lover. But today I thought it will be great to show you what I eat very often as a dinner – apart from wraps – you know how much I love to wrap everything from my fridge in my coconut flour flatbread for a quick dinner right ? But lets be real I don’t eat sandwich or wraps everyday. I also love a quick and easy tasty meal like this spinach frittata feta goat cheese on top ! Yum. And good news, this spinach frittata is keto, low carb and gluten free as there is no flour involved and only low carb vegetables in this recipes.
All you need to make this delicious low carb spinach frittata is:
- Spinach – fresh or frozen it is up to you, I provided both measurement in the recipe card below
- Eggs – of course, that is the base of this meal if you are vegan (not low carb eater as my husband) use my vegan chickpea flour frittata recipe here.
- Red onion
- Mushrooms – if you don’t like mushrooms, you can use some bacon strips or ham!
- Unsweetened almond milk – I love to whip my eggs into almond milk to give an extra fluffy texture to my frittata. I always use unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk as it is low calories, low carbs and gluten free
- Feta goat cheese – or if you can find soft French style goat cheese that will taste even better
- Grated cheese – just because a combo of cheese is tastier than one cheese
- Spices – I love to combine dried Oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Feel free to play with the spices. Others that are very good are a pinch of ground nutmeg, paprika or cumin
Easy 30 minutes dinner to make ahead or freeze for later
What I love the most about this spinach frittata is that it makes both : a delicious light dinner or a quick protein breakfast. It also freeze really well in airtight container up to 1 month. I always defrost my food the day before in the fridge and rewarm my frittata in hot oven for 5 or 8 minutes on a non stick tefal pan. Set up your oven around 150C and rewarm until it crisp on top. Microwave is also an option but it makes the frittata very chewy and watery if it has been freezed so I don’t enjoy it much.
Enjoy this 30 minutes meal and let me know if you want to see more savory recipes on the blog !
Watch the spinach frittata feta, capsicum mushrooms recipe video and make it now !
Spinach frittata feta, mushrooms, capsicum
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion , diced , about1/4 cup
- 4 button mushrooms , sliced, 1 cup
- 1 medium red capsicum , seeded, diced, 1 cup
- 6 cups fresh spinach ,cleaned, feet removed, roughly chopped (300g,10.5 oz)or or 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese cheddar or mozzarella or emmental (40g)
- 1/3 cup feta , french style or goat feta cheese (75g)
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390F). Spray olive oil into a large baking dish with high borders to make sure all your fillings fit. Set aside.
Prepare the egg batter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, unsweetened almond milk, garlic powder, salt, dried oregano, salt and pepper. I used a hand whisk and this process took me 1 minute, don't over whisk. Simply whisk enough to break eggs and combine with milk and spices. Set aside in the fridge.
Saute the vegetables
- Under medium heat, warm olive oil into a large non stick pan.
- Stir in the diced red onion and cook for 1- 2 minutes until fragrant and transparent.
- Stir in diced capsicum and sliced mushrooms. Sauteed the vegetables for 2-3 minutes until roasted, fragrant and mushrooms have released their water.
- Pile the chopped spinach in the pan, cover with a lid, reduce to low heat and cook, stirring every 30 seconds until the spinach leaves wilts. It will significantly decrease in volume as spinach will release their juice/water.
- Remove lid, stir and cook for an extra 1-2 minute to evaporate the water from the spinach. You don't want to add water in the frittata or it won't firm up in the oven. Note: If your pan is too small, you can simply add the spinach in two times, repeat the cooking process two times.
- Transfer the sauteed vegetables into the baking dish. If there is vegetable juice in the pan, discard, don't add in the baking dish.
- Pour eggs mixture on top of the cooked vegetables. Add grated cheese, then give a quick swirl with a spoon to evenly combine the egg batter, cheese and vegetables.
- Crumble the goat cheese all over the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until the filling is set. Check if cooked through by cutting a tiny bit in the center of the frittata. If not set, bake longer.
- Serve hot with green salad on side.
This recipe serve 4 large slice of spinach frittata.
This recipe is sponsored by Almond Breeze Made from the best California Almonds and I received a compensation to develop this recipe but note that I only recommend product I love and trust on this blog. Thank you.