Chickpea flour frittata – egg-free protein frittata
I am all into chickpea flour right now. I discover that magic yellow flour few weeks ago and I can’t stop myself to cook with it. Since hubby goes vegan this is my favorite flour to use as a egg replacement. I made chickpea flour crepes, chickpea flour omelette and now chickpea flour frittata. If you are not vegan, you probably wonder if it taste great? Well, it does taste like a egg frittata. It has the same egg-like texture with the similar yellow colors. Even my kids won’t notice it was a egg-free frittata made of chickpea flour.
Chickpea flour – low price, high protein and high iron
Did you know that chickpea flour contains more protein than eggs per serve? There is 22 g of protein in 100 g of chickpea flour compared to 13 g in 100 g of cooked eggs. Amazing right? Another interesting point, there 27% iron in chickpea flour compared to 7% in eggs. SO enough nutritional talk and let’s jump to this easy delicious chickpea flour frittata recipe.
All you need is 4 basic ingredients:
- Chickpea flour – I bought mine in the bulk aisle of my wholefood store or in the Indian supermarket – super cheap and good quality ! Yep, this is not an expensive flour at all and it is a very healthy tasty one to try
- Spices – I used a combo of Italian herbs, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper
- Vegetables mix – I mix sweet potatoes cubes, kale and capsicum but this recipe works with any combo of vegetables, feel free to use your favorite frittata fillings. I filled mine with curly kale, cubed orange sweet potatoes and a combo of diced capsicums.
The result is unbelievable. It taste delicious, it is easy to freeze, to store and rewarm. There was no leftover and we everyone loves it – even my 1 year old devour its frittata in no time. My vegan husband is in love with this recipe and I made this 3 times already ! So now, you know what to do? Let is get some of this magic flour and make some chickpea flour frittata. Enjoy !
Watch the Chickpea Flour frittata recipe video and make some vegan frittata right now !
Chickpea flour frittata - Vegan + Gluten free
Vegetable filling - choose 3 cups of your favorite vegetables
- 1 cup curly kale trimmed, chopped
- 1 cup capsicum ,cubed, I used half red + half yellow + half green
- 1 cup orange sweet potatoes -peeled, finely cubed
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- Spray a 12-hole non stick muffin tray with olive oil or simply rub olive oil in each muffin hole using a piece of absorbent paper. Make sure you oil them very well to avoid the frittata to stick. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, spices and baking powder if used.. Whisk in the water until combined. It will be very liquid and that is ok. Set aside while you prepare your vegetable filling.
- Finely cube or chop your vegetables and mix them into the frittata batter.
- Fill each muffin hole with 1/3 cup of batter.
- Bake at 200 C (400 F) for 30 minutes or until the border are golden and the center is set - check using a toothpick inserted in center, if it comes out clean it is ready.
- Loosen the sides using a knife to easy remove the frittata from the tray.
- Serve immediately with a green salad on side, or cool down on a rack and store leftover in a airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.