Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
This Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake is the most delicious keto chocolate cake recipe made with no flour, nut-free, and perfect for celebrating any occasion.
This chocolate cake is also gluten-free, with a dairy-free option, and contains only 3.5 grams of net carbs per slice.
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- What’s A Flourless Chocolate Cake?
- How To Make Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Decorating A Flourless Cake
- Serving Gluten-Free Flourless Cake
- Allergy Swaps
- Storage Instructions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Keto Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
I love chocolate cake like my keto coconut flour cake or almond flour chocolate cake. But, I often receive requests for a nut-free keto chocolate cake made without almond flour.
So here’s the solution, a delicious flourless chocolate cake.
The batter is easy to make and only takes 15 minutes to whip up. Then, the longest part is the cooling process, as the cake gets all its texture after being cool down in the cake pan.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
So let’s start and see how you can make a nut-free low-carb chocolate cake that’s is also naturally:
- Ready In 15 Minutes
What’s A Flourless Chocolate Cake?
A flourless chocolate cake is a dense cake made from simple ingredients like eggs, butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and usually sugar.
This sugar-free version is made with natural sugar-free sweeteners to cut the carb count per slice but enjoy a delicious chocolate cake without flour.
How To Make Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
All you need to make this flourless cake recipe are:
- Large Eggs – You must use eggs in this recipe. It won’t work with any egg replacer or flax eggs.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – I am using dark chocolate chips sweetened with stevia. As a result, I decreased the sugar-free granulated sweetener in the recipe to keep a good balance of sweetness. If you use unsweetened baker’s chocolate, you will have to increase the sweetener in the recipe or the cake will be too bitter.
- Granulated Sugar-Free Sweetener – Pick your favorite keto crystal sweetener. I like erythritol or allulose.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder or cacao powder, also known as Dutch cacao powder.
- Espresso Powder – This is optional, but it brings out all the chocolate flavor in chocolate cake recipes.
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsalted Butter or coconut oil – to avoid a coconut flavor, pick a refined coconut oil for this low-carb flourless chocolate cake recipe.
Melting Chocolate And Fat
First, in a non-stick saucepan, add the chocolate chips and butter or coconut oil.
Keep it on low heat to melt while stirring once in a while until the mixture is fully melted and shiny.
You can also place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave in 30-second bursts, stir and repeat until the mixture is fully melted.
Transfer the melted chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in espresso powder.
Let it cool down for 1 to 2 minutes then, crack the eggs in the bowl, and add the erythritol, vanilla extract, and espresso powder.
Now, whisk everything together until well combined. Then, whisk in unsweetened cocoa powder until it forms a thick chocolate cake batter.
Baking Flourless Chocolate Cake
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
I found it much easier to use an 8-inch springform cake pan for this recipe. It makes it much easier to release the cake compared to a fixed pan.
First, spray some oil all over the pan, then cover the pan’s bottom and sides with parchment paper. Spray some oil again on the paper.
Now, pour the cake batter in the pan and spread it evenly.
Bake the flourless cake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the sides are set, and the top is set but still soft.
If you insert a pick in the center of the cake, there should be some crumbs on it. That’s normal. If you overbake the cake, it becomes very dry, so watch out.
Let the cake cool down for 1 hour in the pan or overnight for an easy release.
Open the springform pan gently, then place a plate on top of the cake before flipping it upside down. The bottom of the cake becomes the top.
Unpeel the parchment paper.
Decorating A Flourless Cake
You have a few options for decorating and serving a flourless chocolate cake.
You can dust some powdered sugar-free sweeteners like powdered allulose or powdered erythritol.
Or you can dust unsweetened cocoa powder on top of the flourless cake to add a bitter cocoa flavor to the cake.
Then, add some berries in the center, like chopped strawberries or raspberries.
Serving Gluten-Free Flourless Cake
Serve the cake with:
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Sugar-free vanilla ice cream
Below are some ideas to substitute ingredients in this recipe if you have some food allergies:
- Dairy-free – Use dairy-free butter or coconut oil instead of butter.
This recipe doesn’t work without eggs or with an egg replacer.
Store this cake in the fridge in an airtight cake box for up to 3 to 4 days.
Slice it just before serving to keep the cake moist. Adding berries will release juice and moisture on top of the cake and won’t store for more than 1 to 2 days.
You can freeze leftovers in an airtight container and thaw them in the fridge the day before.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s the answers to your most frequent questions about this cake recipe.
Can I Use Stevia Extract?
No, you can’t use stevia powder or stevia drops in this recipe. In fact, sugar-free sweeteners like erythritol firm up after baking and provide texture to the cake.
The stevia will keep the cake too moist, soft, and eggy.
Can I Use Unsweetened Chocolate?
Yes, you can use unsweetened chocolate bars, but remember that this chocolate has no sweetener added.
As a result, you must increase the sweetener by about 1/4 cup to balance the sweetness of the cake, or the result will be bitter.
Can I Skip Espresso Powder?
Absolutely! You can skip the powder if you don’t have it or don’t like the coffee flavor. But it doesn’t add a strong coffee flavor to the cake.
Espresso powder has the ability to bring out chocolate flavors in chocolate desserts.
Can I Whip Egg White?
You can whip the egg white for 1 to 2 minutes until a soft peak forms and incorporate it after you stir in egg yolk, sweetener, vanilla, and espresso powder to the chocolate mixture.
However, I didn’t see any change in texture using soft peak eggs. A flourless chocolate cake is dense, and whisking egg white doesn’t impact texture much.
What Can I Use Instead Of Sweeteners?
If you don’t mind the sugar, use white or coconut sugar as a healthy alternative. You can use the same quantity as sugar-free sweetener mentioned in this recipe.
More Keto Chocolate Dessert Recipes
Below are some more low-carb chocolate dessert recipes.
Did you try this gluten-free flourless chocolate cake recipe ? Share a comment or review below
Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
Want My Kitchen Equipment?
- 1 cup Sugar-free Dark Chocolate Chips note 1
- 3 large Eggs
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter note 2
- ½ cup Crystal Sweetener note 3 – increase to 3/4 cup for sweeter cake
- ½ teaspoon Espresso Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Chocolate Ganache – option
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch springform round cake pan, line the sides and bottom with parchment paper, and grease again with coconut oil. Set it aside.
- In a non-stick saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and butter. You can also place the ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second bursts until melted, smooth, and shiny.
- Remove from heat, pour in a large mixing bowl, and whisk in eggs, sweetener, vanilla extract, and espresso powder until well combined.
- Now whisk in the cocoa powder and incorporate it until no more pieces of cocoa can be seen.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350°F (180°C) on the center rack of the oven for about 25 minutes.
- The cake is ready when the sides are set, and a thin, slightly firm crust forms on the top. Don't overbake the cake, or it will get dry.
- Remove from the oven and cool down for 1 hour in the pan.
- After that time, open the sides of the springform cake pan gently. Place a plate in contact with the top of the cake and flip it over, so the bottom becomes the top of the cake.
- Peel off the piece of parchment paper left on top.
- Decorate the flourless chocolate cake with a dust of unsweetened cocoa powder or powdered sugar-free sweetener, or make a ganache as described below.
- In a non-stick saucepan, add sugar-free chocolate chips and heavy cream. Bring over low-medium heat, and stir until melted and glossy.
- Pour over the cooled cake and serve each slice with strawberries or unsweetened whipped cream.
- Store in the fridge in a cake box for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month in a sealed box, and thaw in the refrigerator the day before.
To save your own private notes on your favorite recipes, join Sweetashoney Members!
ToolsGetting Started What Is Keto? Macro Calculator Sweetener Converter Meal Plans Recipe Ebooks Intermittent Fasting Keto Fruits Keto Vegetables Keto Flours Fighting Keto Flu Healthy Sweeteners
Category:Cakes & CupcakesDesserts
Ingredients:Chocolate ChipsCocoa PowderEgg
The recipes, instructions, and articles on this website should not be taken or used as medical advice. You must consult with your doctor before starting on a keto or low-carb diet. The nutritional data provided on Sweetashoney is to be used as indicative only.
The nutrition data is calculated using WP Recipe Maker. Net Carbs is calculated by removing the fiber and some sweeteners from the total Carbohydrates. As an example, a recipe with 10 grams of Carbs per 100 grams that contains 3 grams of erythritol and 5 grams of fiber will have a net carbs content of 2 grams. Some sweeteners are excluded because they are not metabolized.
You should always calculate the nutritional data yourself instead of relying on Sweetashoney's data. Sweetashoney and its recipes and articles are not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Sweetashoney cannot be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or advice found on the Website.
Share this post!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your close ones!
Leave a comment
It was amazing, I made it for my birthday. My friends who do not follow a low carb diet LOVED IT. Thank you for sharing this recipe.